Shopping Discussion

Returning LARGE items to Costco.ca. Any experience with doing this?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2010 7:06 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6365 posts
211 upvotes

Returning LARGE items to Costco.ca. Any experience with doing this?

Long story short. Purchased one of those Novaform shrunk wrapped foam mattresses from Costco. Supposed to flatten within 72 hours but didn't. Had also ordered this box spring thing from them (not a real box spring but replaces box spring and is rather large). Because it didn't flatten, ordered another with the hopes that it would flatten. Sadly, it did not. Coincidentally, after I had ordered the 2nd one, I saw some guy returning three of these things to Costco for I suppose, the same reason.

I have no need for the box-spring thing now either as I'm going to go with a regular mattress/box-spring. Called Costco and explained situation and they said they would arrange for the freight carrier to contact me for pick-up. That was last week. Tonight I got a couple of emails from them with these UPS labels saying I have to drop the things off at one of the UPS drop-off locations. Well geez, if I had the ability to do that, then I'd just return the darn things to a Costco warehouse. I ordered them online and they were delivered and so I'm not about to rent a truck to haul these suckers back and besides, I don't live near any UPS locations as I'm in a rural area.

I'm going to call them tomorrow regarding this but am curious if anyone else has experienced a similar situation. Typically if I've had to return anything from Costco.ca, I've just brought it back to the warehouse but it's rather difficult with these large 2 mattresses and box spring. Any thoughts or advice? THANKS in advance.
7 replies
Dec 16, 2004
765 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
deltone wrote: Long story short. Purchased one of those Novaform shrunk wrapped foam mattresses from Costco. Supposed to flatten within 72 hours but didn't. Had also ordered this box spring thing from them (not a real box spring but replaces box spring and is rather large). Because it didn't flatten, ordered another with the hopes that it would flatten. Sadly, it did not. Coincidentally, after I had ordered the 2nd one, I saw some guy returning three of these things to Costco for I suppose, the same reason.

I have no need for the box-spring thing now either as I'm going to go with a regular mattress/box-spring. Called Costco and explained situation and they said they would arrange for the freight carrier to contact me for pick-up. That was last week. Tonight I got a couple of emails from them with these UPS labels saying I have to drop the things off at one of the UPS drop-off locations. Well geez, if I had the ability to do that, then I'd just return the darn things to a Costco warehouse. I ordered them online and they were delivered and so I'm not about to rent a truck to haul these suckers back and besides, I don't live near any UPS locations as I'm in a rural area.

I'm going to call them tomorrow regarding this but am curious if anyone else has experienced a similar situation. Typically if I've had to return anything from Costco.ca, I've just brought it back to the warehouse but it's rather difficult with these large 2 mattresses and box spring. Any thoughts or advice? THANKS in advance.

Won't UPS come and pick it up for you? Probably need to call them and tell them it's oversized but they might pick it up like they do any other package.

Also, just curious what the box-spring like thing is? Is it still on the Costco website? I'm looking to buy a memory foam mattress and have been wondering what you are supposed to put it on.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6365 posts
211 upvotes
dishguy1977 wrote: Won't UPS come and pick it up for you? Probably need to call them and tell them it's oversized but they might pick it up like they do any other package.

Also, just curious what the box-spring like thing is? Is it still on the Costco website? I'm looking to buy a memory foam mattress and have been wondering what you are supposed to put it on.

I just checked the website and it seems to be gone from Costco but perhaps can be found elsewhere. It's called the Spirit Bed Frame and here is a link to what it looks like. It's actually pretty neat. It's got legs and it's a spring frame and it comes with a nice cover. It's a good alternative to a typical box spring. Taxes in, it came to $225.99.

I will try calling UPS tomorrow. The email stated clearly that they won't be picking it up which is a real PITA. I sure hope they resolve this to my satisfaction.

http://toronto.flyerland.ca/products/co ... ct-5736366
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19210 posts
1700 upvotes
Just return it to your nearest Costco... you don't even have to be a member to return something bought off Costco.ca
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6365 posts
211 upvotes
brunes wrote: Just return it to your nearest Costco... you don't even have to be a member to return something bought off Costco.ca

Oh, I know that. I've returned things before. My issue is that two mattresses and a box-spring are large and heavy and I don't have a vehicle to return them. They state on their website that they will let you ship items back. The guy on the phone last week said they would pick it up but NOW they are telling me I have to bring them to a UPS location which is stupid seeing I'm probably closer, or as close to a Costco warehouse.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2029 upvotes
Nowhere
Call them back and make sure they understand the situation. It probably got passed on to someone who didn't understand the size of the product and that you can't get the mattress back in the box once you unpack it.

I bought one of these mattresses about 5 years ago from Costco and the corners did not fully expand. I bought mine at the warehouse and had no problem getting it home by myself in my SUV but couldn't get it back there to return it. When I couldn't figure how to get it back to Costco, I contacted Novaform and they were going to deal with it. But then I was able to borrow a van and a friend helped me get it back Costco for a refund. I didn't want to take another chance on another one in case it was a bad batch. I waited a year and then bought another Novaform mattress from Costco. This one expanded properly and I love it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6365 posts
211 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote: Call them back and make sure they understand the situation. It probably got passed on to someone who didn't understand the size of the product and that you can't get the mattress back in the box once you unpack it.

I bought one of these mattresses about 5 years ago from Costco and the corners did not fully expand. I bought mine at the warehouse and had no problem getting it home by myself in my SUV but couldn't get it back there to return it. When I couldn't figure how to get it back to Costco, I contacted Novaform and they were going to deal with it. But then I was able to borrow a van and a friend helped me get it back Costco for a refund. I didn't want to take another chance on another one in case it was a bad batch. I waited a year and then bought another Novaform mattress from Costco. This one expanded properly and I love it.

Yes, I think you're probably right about them not understanding the situation. I'll be calling them tomorrow, for sure. So you do like the mattress then. I've actually slept on the mattress (on the expanded side) and it's very comfortable. I'm bummed that it didn't work out as I really wanted to keep it. One could actually sleep on the thing but it looks ridiculous and the sheets don't stay under and the bed doesn't look properly made so no way I want to keep it. I must have gotten a bad batch for sure, and when I saw the guy returning the three of them at the Newmarket Costco I decided then and there that no way I was trying for a third. It's a darn shame that all of these mattresses will end up in some landfill. What a waste.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19210 posts
1700 upvotes
It seems like the main take-away from this thread is avoid this mattress since everyone seems to have problems :/
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings