• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2020 11:41 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2006
713 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto

Returning a microwave at Costco after under 6 months of purchase

Anyone had success in returning microwaves at Costco? I was recently gifted a new microwave that is better than the Costco one. The microwave was purchased online in January.
50 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20745 posts
6217 upvotes
GTA
Give them a call? Costco is still open until 830pm I think.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2960 posts
3639 upvotes
Langley
so nothing wrong with it, you just got a better one?

don't do it
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4481 posts
26595 upvotes
Costco CS: NEXT!!
OP: Hi, want to return this microwave.
Costco CS: Ok, membership please.
OP: Here you go. I picked this up 6-mo. ago and now I got a new better unit as a gift.
Costco CS: <taptaptaptap> Sir, do you know our policy. No returns after 90-days.
OP: But I’ve seen people return half eaten cakes.
Costco CS: Uhhh no, GTFOutta here. NEXT!!!!
OP: b-b-b-but....
Costco CS: oh really... <taptaptaptap blacklisted... takes membership and cuts it in-half>... NEXT!!!!
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
You can definitely return it. It's just not that decent of a thing to do imo
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
2044 posts
1126 upvotes
Etobicoke
pricecheck wrote: Anyone had success in returning microwaves at Costco? I was recently gifted a new microwave that is better than the Costco one. The microwave was purchased online in January.
It's scenarios like this that will make Costco change their generous policy eventually. Disappointed Face
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
11272 posts
4642 upvotes
pricecheck wrote: Anyone had success in returning microwaves at Costco? I was recently gifted a new microwave that is better than the Costco one. The microwave was purchased online in January.
If it was broken and under a one year warranty, I would do it, but otherwise not.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29059 posts
14596 upvotes
markopas wrote: Costco CS: NEXT!!
OP: Hi, want to return this microwave.
Costco CS: Ok, membership please.
OP: Here you go. I picked this up 6-mo. ago and now I got a new better unit as a gift.
Costco CS: <taptaptaptap> Sir, do you know our policy. No returns after 90-days.
OP: But I’ve seen people return half eaten cakes.
Costco CS: Uhhh no, GTFOutta here. NEXT!!!!
OP: b-b-b-but....
Costco CS: oh really... <taptaptaptap blacklisted... takes membership and cuts it in-half>... NEXT!!!!
How I wish this would actually happen more often...
Pallet of vitamins/TP/sanitizer/etc.

Also apparently countertop microwaves aren't "appliances" so they fall under the regular return policy.
If OP's microwave is a over the stove type it is an appliance and subject to 90 days.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3395 posts
1580 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Just sell it on kijiji -- this is redflagdeals not cheapskates r us!
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3169 posts
2824 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Don't be a dink.

There's nothing wrong with it, so a return is not justified.

Just sell it.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4660 posts
5947 upvotes
GTA
sherman51 wrote: It's scenarios like this that will make Costco change their generous policy eventually. Disappointed Face
pearl clutchers have been singing that same old song forever
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3169 posts
2824 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Kfox wrote: pearl clutchers have been singing that same old song forever
...and they have been correct. Electronics return policy changed quite substantially. Why? Dinks abusing return policy. Whether it's Costco or somewhere like REI, it won't take much to trigger another revision.

I buy some things from Costco because of that extra protection offered if something is defective, often eliminating the need to deal with the manufacturer for warranty. I've never had to use it. I object to my protection being eliminated just because someone wants to return a perfectly good microwave (for example) that they no longer need.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4660 posts
5947 upvotes
GTA
a microwave is odd gift to start with, begs the question why would someone gift you one when you already have a new one?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26280 posts
23385 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bobcat99 wrote: If it was broken and under a one year warranty, I would do it, but otherwise not.
Even worse than returning it after 6 months of use would be to intentionally break it first in order to force the one year warranty.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2526 posts
3869 upvotes
West
bylo wrote: Even worse than returning it after 6 months of use would be to intentionally break it first in order to force the one year warranty.
Don’t give the OP any ideas. *
Last edited by MrDisco on Jul 10th, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rude
Oct 22, 2007
698 posts
871 upvotes
I got a neighbour that literally buys and returns everything to Costco. He doesn't care what things cost there (i.e. vacuum cleaner, BBQ, furniture, etc) because his end goal is to always return it a few years later and either "upgrade" to something else or get his money back.

He buys shoes and returns them 2 years later after they are beaten up saying they aren't comfortable anymore.

I've told him he is a bonafide douchebag but he says "if they didn't like it they wouldn't have that policy" and "everybody else does it too".

I have a closed pack of 28 Gatorade by my door i was thinking of returning. He wanted one so i told him he can't have one b/c I was returning it. He told me to keep 27 of them and return 1 and say you decided you don't like them and i'll get my money back.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26280 posts
23385 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Kiraly wrote: Remember the woman who returned a cut Christmas tree to Costco in January, because it "had died"?
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)