• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2019 9:08 am
Dec 22, 2010
755 posts
738 upvotes
Ontario

Returning a new winter jacket to a Canadian Tire store

Hi,

So I bought a winter jacket online canadiantire.ca and picked it up at a local Canadian Tire store. After trying the jacket once, I decided to return it. The size of the jacket is way bigger than usual size. I have all emails from Canadian Tire such as "Order confirmation", "Pick up ready", and "Thank you for your order with order ID" but these emails don't contain receipts. Furthermore, when I check the Order Details, it says, NOTE: THIS IS NOT A SALES RECEIPT. Your official sales receipt will be provided to you when you pick up your order. Please retain a copy of your official sales receipt for your records. Items purchased in store may not be reflected in your online order history. but again I didn't receive any receipt when I was picking up the jacket. So my question is will I have a problem with returning this jacket in this situation? Please let me know. Thanks.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
testmann wrote: Hi,

So I bought a winter jacket online canadiantire.ca and picked it up at a local Canadian Tire store. After trying the jacket once, I decided to return it. The size of the jacket is way bigger than usual size. I have all emails from Canadian Tire such as "Order confirmation", "Pick up ready", and "Thank you for your order with order ID" but these emails don't contain receipts. Furthermore, when I check the Order Details, it says, NOTE: THIS IS NOT A SALES RECEIPT. Your official sales receipt will be provided to you when you pick up your order. Please retain a copy of your official sales receipt for your records. Items purchased in store may not be reflected in your online order history. but again I didn't receive any receipt when I was picking up the jacket. So my question is will I have a problem with returning this jacket in this situation? Please let me know. Thanks.
You should be able to use the emails as proof.

Merry Christmas
Aug 31, 2012
753 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
They should have given you a receipt at pick up. The emails are not confirmation because many times they cancel orders if they don’t have it later. Did you pay with your Canadian Tire card? That would be sufficient.
Dec 22, 2010
755 posts
738 upvotes
Ontario
Maplesugar25 wrote: They should have given you a receipt at pick up. The emails are not confirmation because many times they cancel orders if they don’t have it later. Did you pay with your Canadian Tire card? That would be sufficient.
No. I just used my TD visa credit card. It took really long to get the jacket at the store. The clerk had a problem with finding the jacket and the moment I received it, I left. I didn't even know I have to get a receipt at a store for the online purchase because most of online purchases I've made come with receipts. Anyway, the confirmation email has QR code, would that help?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
testmann wrote: So my question is will I have a problem with returning this jacket in this situation? Please let me know. Thanks.
What did they tell you when you called Canadian Tire and asked them?
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Dec 22, 2010
755 posts
738 upvotes
Ontario
ALLCAPS wrote: What did they tell you when you called Canadian Tire and asked them?
No. I haven't had a chance yet. It's a long trip to go to Canadian tire for me, so I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience as mine.
Sep 26, 2008
457 posts
126 upvotes
GTA
Call ahead, but I’ve had nothing but superb experiences honestly returning items to Canadian Tire with and sometimes without receipt.... without receipt they are able to look it up in their system.

I even once had the store manager give me store credit without looking for receipt in the system. He Just took back the defective product and gave me a giftcard for the value of the product.
Aug 31, 2012
753 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
Hopefully they will allow it especially if you explain what happened at pick up. I know the email is not enough because I have had orders cancelled by the store even when I had received the “ready for pick up” email. Due to not having the product in store even though it was listed as available and in stock, or it was not in good enough shape to sell etc. And I was not informed until I went to the store. So that does not confirm that you actually purchased the item. But I have had good experiences with my two local stores so hopefully they will give you a refund.