Shopping Discussion

Returning an SD card to BesBuy

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2020 9:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1091 posts
368 upvotes

Returning an SD card to BesBuy

Bought something from BestBuy for the first time in a while and didn't realize SD cards need to be returned unopened: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/help/blta7 ... 4e1d24e6c2

Online chat won't let me return it opened. I was wondering if anyone had experience returning in store and how strict the employees are in store about returns. Is it worth a shot driving to a few stores to try and make the return?
18 replies
Banned
User avatar
Dec 17, 2019
228 posts
237 upvotes
Montreal
I’ve never attempted, so can’t say much.

If it doesn’t work, could always try to resell 🤷‍♂️
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms!
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1083 posts
737 upvotes
Ottawa
Opened = possibly used. I don't think you'll get far. Reselling is your best option. Good luck.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 31, 2007
2044 posts
178 upvotes
York Region
OP, would you buy one that is opened?
Could have malware on it.
Member
User avatar
Oct 18, 2019
274 posts
162 upvotes
GTA West
What's their policy if you open it and it broken it doesn't work? will they exchange it for a new one, if so? don't open it and return it to another store for a refund
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1091 posts
368 upvotes
Sonofman wrote: What's their policy if you open it and it broken it doesn't work? will they exchange it for a new one, if so? don't open it and return it to another store for a refund
That's a good point. They don't actually list any specific policies about how they handle defective items.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
5474 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
tsatsa wrote: OP, would you buy one that is opened?
Could have malware on it.
Um... what? Of course I would. Just format it before using.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2971 posts
1620 upvotes
B.C.
DrDoomsday wrote: Bought something from BestBuy for the first time in a while and didn't realize SD cards need to be returned unopened: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/help/blta7 ... 4e1d24e6c2

Online chat won't let me return it opened. I was wondering if anyone had experience returning in store and how strict the employees are in store about returns. Is it worth a shot driving to a few stores to try and make the return?
Why are you returning it? Is it defective? Or just changed your mind?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1091 posts
368 upvotes
gei wrote: Um... what? Of course I would. Just format it before using.

Exactly my thoughts. Apparently there are "security concerns" preventing them from accepting these.

If anything, these security concerns are more applicable to computers and phones where you can't literally wipe them clean.
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
368 upvotes
DrDoomsday wrote: Bought something from BestBuy for the first time in a while and didn't realize SD cards need to be returned unopened: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/help/blta7 ... 4e1d24e6c2

Online chat won't let me return it opened. I was wondering if anyone had experience returning in store and how strict the employees are in store about returns. Is it worth a shot driving to a few stores to try and make the return?
SD Cards are consumables, they cannot be returned when opened. It's only a SD Card, take it as lesson learnt. Next time, if unsure, don't open, read the reviews before buying.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1091 posts
368 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote: Why are you returning it? Is it defective? Or just changed your mind?
Mainly price but they won't let me return and buy the one I want (from their site). I asked if they would at least price match to lower the price by $10 but they wouldn't because it was a marketplace seller. I also ran some tests on the cards and they are running below spec.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
5474 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
stack21 wrote: SD Cards are consumables, they cannot be returned when opened. It's only a SD Card, take it as lesson learnt. Next time, if unsure, don't open, read the reviews before buying.
What are you talking about? SD cards are reusable storage - not consumables. There is no rational reason why they cannot be returned.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2971 posts
1620 upvotes
B.C.
DrDoomsday wrote: Mainly price but they won't let me return and buy the one I want (from their site). I asked if they would at least price match to lower the price by $10 but they wouldn't because it was a marketplace seller. I also ran some tests on the cards and they are running below spec.
You might be hooped because of the marketplace seller.
gei wrote: What are you talking about? SD cards are reusable storage - not consumables. There is no rational reason why they cannot be returned.
Yeah I agree, this is a big holdover from the days of tapes & film and even burnable cds...

But I can see them denying it to avoid people using them and returning. My old boss would buy SD cards and try to return them after recording multi day events after he downloaded the footage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1091 posts
368 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote: You might be hooped because of the marketplace seller.



Yeah I agree, this is a big holdover from the days of tapes & film and even burnable cds...

But I can see them denying it to avoid people using them and returning. My old boss would buy SD cards and try to return them after recording multi day events after he downloaded the footage.
Totally agree. There is no reason other than people using and returning. A heads up, hard drives also aren't returnable if you open them.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26201 posts
23245 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
DrDoomsday wrote: Mainly price but they won't let me return and buy the one I want (from their site). I asked if they would at least price match to lower the price by $10 but they wouldn't because it was a marketplace seller.
PMing is ultimately always at a store's discretion. Even if there's no exclusion on their own marketplace sellers you're wasting your time arguing. You're wasting even more time and money driving around to other BB stores looking for someone who will relent.
I also ran some tests on the cards and they are running below spec.
This is hardly unusual. Same with other specs like number of hours on battery power on a phone or notebook, or car mileage, etc. It's just optimistic marketing hype. If the card manufacturer offers a "fake card detector" on their website and it confirms the card isn't genuine, then you have no recourse.

Suck it up and move on.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
16632 posts
5192 upvotes
Toronto
This is why I prefer buying items from Amazon. If the Performance is not adequate, you can return it and they pay for return shipping. Best Buy and Staples seem to have very restrictive policies in this regard. Some stores are better than others.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
3077 posts
3421 upvotes
Montreal
hightech wrote: This is why I prefer buying items from Amazon. If the Performance is not adequate, you can return it and they pay for return shipping. Best Buy and Staples seem to have very restrictive policies in this regard. Some stores are better than others.
Easier for Amazon to have a Used section and sell versus Best Buy in store.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
3162 posts
2818 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
DrDoomsday wrote: That's a good point. They don't actually list any specific policies about how they handle defective items.
Thank goodness you'll be the first person who has ever tried this, and that they haven't already considered the possibility so they do something like opening the exchange product before they give it to you, right?
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
3162 posts
2818 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
DrDoomsday wrote: Bought something from BestBuy for the first time in a while and didn't realize SD cards need to be returned unopened: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/help/blta7 ... 4e1d24e6c2
Their return policy on these devices is not new, nor is it difficult to find. I too have been a while since buying from BB, but before I did on a couple of items recently, the first place I looked was their return policy.
Online chat won't let me return it opened. I was wondering if anyone had experience returning in store and how strict the employees are in store about returns. Is it worth a shot driving to a few stores to try and make the return?
I wouldn't say it's worth it. Their policy is fairly straightfoward, and unfortunate it is what it is because people abused it ('buying' a big SD card before going on a vacation or a big event, then returning it after) or people try to scam (buying a legit card, getting a counterfeit card on eBay real cheap then returning the counterfeit).
Mainly price but they won't let me return and buy the one I want (from their site). I asked if they would at least price match to lower the price by $10 but they wouldn't because it was a marketplace seller.
I made one purchase through a marketplace seller, and all he did was dropship from Amazon. Came directly in the Amazon box. If I wanted to buy from Amazon, I would have done that with my Prime account. Getting a refund was a pain in the proverbial. I'd never do marketplace again, especially with something like this. If this dude is dropshipping from Amazon or eBay you don't know what you're getting, and it would be up to you to prove you didn't just swap out the card for something dodgy because regular Best Buy return policies don't apply to marketplace.
I also ran some tests on the cards and they are running below spec.
Uh-huh. Sure. :) How much below spec? Notice you don't say the card's defective, just 'below spec'. Of course those specs are typically 'up to' (MAX) speeds, and YMMV depending on your own system. Unless your class 10 card is consistently read/write at class 4 speeds, I don't think it sounds like you've got much to go on there.

Good for you if you can convince them to give you a refund, but right now I don't think you've given much justification other than the fact you didn't shop around and didn't familiarise yourself with their return policy before agreeing to that when you completed the transaction.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.

Top