Returning a Seagate Ext Drive to Best Buy

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2020 11:29 pm
[OP]
Dec 1, 2016
19 posts
6 upvotes

Returning a Seagate Ext Drive to Best Buy

So I purchased a Seagate 10TB Expansion Hard Drive ( reserve and store pick up, ) on April 10 - its stopped working now, makes beeping sound and PC doesnt recognize

I called BestBuy , and they said I cannot return opened Hard Drive - but this is stopped working so I have to run around Seagate company now?

None of the stores have it in stock either, only online and the Cusomer Service ( afte a 2.5 hr call back ) said I should go to the store - which is kinda far to try?

Is this how its supposed to be if item stopped working in 30 days, so if I open it? and its DOA for eg, I cant return it?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28715 posts
9163 upvotes
mlong50w wrote: None of the stores have it in stock either, only online and the Cusomer Service ( afte a 2.5 hr call back ) said I should go to the store - which is kinda far to try?
I would have thought usually you could return this to Best Lie, but with the recent COVID stuff I'm not sure if that has changed their policies on returns. Anyway you shouldn't bother going to the store if they haven't agreed to accept the return. You can't enter the stores anymore (you can only do curbside pickup) so no good going there out of the blue.

Looks like you'll have to start here, in this case:
https://www.seagate.com/ca/en/support/w ... lacements/
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1498 posts
1747 upvotes
BC
Nope. BB policy is clear - returns on portable storage only if unopened. When I bought mine, they specifically asked whether this is the drive I wanted as there are no returns on it once it is opened.

They don't want people returning hard drives that they might have dropped.

If drive failed during warranty period you deal with the manufacturer.
Jan 8, 2015
816 posts
513 upvotes
What a drag! Memory Express return policy is suddenly looking a lot better nowadays. I remember back in the day it was an awful 7 day return. At least they'll send it away for you if it's within 1 year.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2016
19 posts
6 upvotes
WetCoastGuy wrote: Nope. BB policy is clear - returns on portable storage only if unopened. When I bought mine, they specifically asked whether this is the drive I wanted as there are no returns on it once it is opened.

They don't want people returning hard drives that they might have dropped.

If drive failed during warranty period you deal with the manufacturer.
I got hold of BB CSR again and this time he took some time to check the policy and he said for this drive, they do the warranty. He asked me to take to any store now since its not in stock in any store anyways, and they can order one and Geek Squad will help with Data Restore too? unsure how reality would be when I do this
[OP]
Dec 1, 2016
19 posts
6 upvotes
Went to BB at Surrey Central, they checked webcode and luckily someone had booked the same online and never came to pick it up so they just handed it over to me..didnt even check the HDD I gave them back, and no box either