• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2021 8:00 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4482 posts
712 upvotes

Returning underwear to Costco

I know returning underwear is a touchy subject but my brother bought a 4-pack of underwear from Costco. Out of that 4-pack,1 of them came ripped out of the box and 2 of them ripped the the first time he put them on.

Would it be weird if he packed them up and took them back?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1684 posts
2443 upvotes
West
No - if they are damaged and of poor quality, he didn't get what he paid for. He should take the back, preferably for an exchange, but the latter part is IMO.
May 16, 2012
187 posts
69 upvotes
Mississauga/Toronto
No. If they were damaged return them.
Depending on location Ontario clothes are non essential so right now you can not return.

Costco won't even check, they will toss them in the trash. Just be clear they were damaged.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19117 posts
7191 upvotes
Toronto
Return them. If they are defective, Costco will take it back
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1672 posts
994 upvotes
Toronto
That's some cheap underwear!! Costco will take it back, but not until the lock-down ends. Right now you can only return essential items (i.e. foodstuff)
Last edited by lpin14 on Apr 22nd, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 15, 2018
161 posts
184 upvotes
lpin14 wrote: That's some cheap underwear!! Costco will take it back, but not until the lock-down ends. Right now you can only return non-essential items (i.e. foodstuff)
Food is non-essential? Disappointed But Relieved Face
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1672 posts
994 upvotes
Toronto
GiAlRoBe wrote: Food is non-essential? Disappointed But Relieved Face
Lol. If you're on a hunger strike, sure :).

Post was corrected.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3105 posts
1113 upvotes
Ottawa
More importantly - what's the brand he bought, so we know to avoid the poor quality :)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2445 posts
1009 upvotes
Toronto
Are you sure the size was correct? That is, it wasn't too small? Covid weight (we've all put on a few pounds so this could be valid)?

If they were defective then I would exchange them.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4271 posts
4453 upvotes
GTA
ds2chan wrote: Are you sure the size was correct? That is, it wasn't too small? Covid weight (we've all put on a few pounds so this could be valid)?

If they were defective then I would exchange them.
I'd agree if it ripped from the butt end, for all we know, it was the front. His brother could be Dirk Diggler.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2445 posts
1009 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: I'd agree if it ripped from the butt end, for all we know, it was the front. His brother could be Dirk Diggler.
lol.. I had to look up who Dirk is.

I have ripped underwear at my thighs before but that doesn't affect the underwear so I just kept them.

Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13841 posts
8532 upvotes
Markham
Akitakara wrote: More importantly - what's the brand he bought, so we know to avoid the poor quality :)
Agreed, please post brand. Can't imagine how it can rip that easily..unusual for sure.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Oct 2, 2018
727 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto
Likely manufacture defect not caught in quality control, it happens. You should have no reservations at all on returning the item once this super lockdown ends in a few weeks, Costco is fabulous on their return policy and this instance is very acceptable and what the return policy is intended to cover.
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
21782 posts
3604 upvotes
Niagara Falls
*puts pitchfork away.

It is completely reasonable in this situation to return said item to Costco
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4482 posts
712 upvotes
Akitakara wrote: More importantly - what's the brand he bought, so we know to avoid the poor quality :)
Puma brand that was recently on sale.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4482 posts
712 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: lol.. I had to look up who Dirk is.

I have ripped underwear at my thighs before but that doesn't affect the underwear so I just kept them.
Ripped on the thigh seam. My brother is very skinny so I doubt it's a sizing issue.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2445 posts
1009 upvotes
Toronto
Kherani wrote: Ripped on the thigh seam. My brother is very skinny so I doubt it's a sizing issue.
OK. Maybe your brother got a bad batch.

I accidentally said ripped above. My underwear didn't actually rip. I have large thighs so the part around my thighs just stretched and you can hear the threads stretching.

Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13276 posts
2496 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Kirkland ones are alright, unless you're someone who has to have a namebrand.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2891 posts
2262 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Normally, I'd say "ewww...no"

This time around though, I'd say "ewww..."

If it's a quality issue, makes sense. What I would do however - since some of them have been worn - is seal the garments in a ziplock bag. Then pack that ziplock bag inside another ziplock bag, that contains the packaging - with the barcode facing out. Make sure the air is squished out of them both. That way they don't have to touch the ewww but they can easily scan the barcode...and toss it if they want to.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1925 posts
1431 upvotes
GTA West
Kherani wrote: I know returning underwear is a touchy subject but my brother bought a 4-pack of underwear from Costco. Out of that 4-pack,1 of them came ripped out of the box and 2 of them ripped the the first time he put them on.

Would it be weird if he packed them up and took them back?
It would only be weird if you returned them with gravy stains.