Health & Wellness

Reusable Face Masks You Purchased And Liked ...

[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
24560 posts
12630 upvotes
Toronto

Reusable Face Masks You Purchased And Liked ...

As many of us are now purchasing reusable (cloth) face masks, I find I have purchased some that are simply not good.
To try and avoid these mishaps, let's talk about the ones you LIKE (and maybe why you like them).

I'm fed up of spending money on bad products!
Last edited by DaVibe on May 28th, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
188 replies
Member
Jun 30, 2017
287 posts
301 upvotes
the ones from roots sucks, the ear loop is extremely uncomfortable

it is also expensive
Sr. Member
Aug 30, 2015
998 posts
707 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
old navy $15 for 5 masks is a great deal and are ok, more comfortable than a mask that I purchased from a local for $15 a piece
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
7741 posts
1781 upvotes
Scarborough
Kindly also indicate whether bought online or in person
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1919 posts
806 upvotes
Calgary
Pricey-but I got Cambridge Mask from online in November for use in China. Pro version was tested to be N99.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
24560 posts
12630 upvotes
Toronto
RealRayRey wrote: the ones from roots sucks, the ear loop is extremely uncomfortable

it is also expensive
I'm glad you said that, I was waiting to pick up one of those, thinking there would be some sort of "quality" ... That sucks.

And they look so nice! Lol

Can you comment on the length of the straps? I have a strap extender that pulls the straps off my ears and towards the back of your neck but wondering if it's even big enough to do that if you are complaining about comfort already (thinking it's too tight).
Last edited by DaVibe on May 28th, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38180 posts
24364 upvotes
Center of Universe
We have a few of everything, including 3M half mask respirator with P100 cartridges.lol
The most comfortable ones are reusable fabric type from China, with a breather vent and pocket for PM2.5 filter inserts.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38180 posts
24364 upvotes
Center of Universe
pca1987 wrote: old navy $15 for 5 masks is a great deal and are ok, more comfortable than a mask that I purchased from a local for $15 a piece
You should try using a tension relief band.
Newbie
May 26, 2020
69 posts
36 upvotes
Sticking to disposable masks may be the way to go in terms of containing the virus
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
2424 posts
2067 upvotes
Ontario
alexdealsCA wrote: Sticking to disposable masks may be the way to go in terms of containing the virus
Well having 4-5 cloth masks and actually washing them would also be efficient.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23480 posts
22432 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
alexdealsCA wrote: Sticking to disposable masks may be the way to go in terms of containing the virus
CaptainCrash wrote: Well having 4-5 cloth masks and actually washing them would also be efficient.
Ya I don’t get the disposable over cloth argument either

The cheap paper ones IMO are horrible as far as a shield
STUPID EXPENSIVE
And just a whole lot more waste heading to the landfill

Cloth here, for the Average Joe or Jane
Just seems to make way more sense
$ 50 to $ 100 for a box of disposables
By contrast same money ... gets you 5 to 10 cloth masks
(MORE if you DIY etc )
Enough to easily wash & wear ... and cycle thru a week of wear
Week after week

And no freaking out / panic when one cannot find a resupply of disposable masks
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13414 posts
8773 upvotes
Markham
PointsHubby wrote: Ya I don’t get the disposable over cloth argument either

The cheap paper ones IMO are horrible as far as a shield
STUPID EXPENSIVE
And just a whole lot more waste heading to the landfill

Cloth here, for the Average Joe or Jane
Just seems to make way more sense
$ 50 to $ 100 for a box of disposables
By contrast same money ... gets you 5 to 10 cloth masks
(MORE if you DIY etc )
Enough to easily wash & wear ... and cycle thru a week of wear
Week after week

And no freaking out / panic when one cannot find a resupply of disposable masks
Is there recommendations on how many times you can wash reusable mask till it's no longer protective?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23480 posts
22432 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
smartie wrote: Is there recommendations on how many times you can wash reusable mask till it's no longer protective?
It’s 2 or 3 layers of fabric
With or without a filter pocket

The protection comes from the fact that it covers your nose & mouth
Thereby slowing down the spread of your spittle

So the fabric doesn’t get any more less protective over time just cuz you washed it
Than any other fabric application
(Ie you own a toque ... it keeps your head warm ... doesn’t get less warm cuz you washed it )

The important thing with cloth masks is
1- DONT SHARE THEM ... one per person
2- LEARN how to wear them properly ... don’t touch them once on
3- LEARN how to remove them correctly ... and wash your hands afterwards
4- WASH & DRY them between use
5- DONT REUSE THEM UN WASHED ... cuz there could be spittle spray on them from others (front of Mask) if someone coughed, sneezed, or spoke moistly near you
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
24560 posts
12630 upvotes
Toronto
Whether reusable (cloth) masks work or not, please do not turn this post into a discussion about that. My workplace now requires face masks / face coverings (non-medical setting) and cloth will be adequate. I'm sure there are many people in a similar situation, who want to find quality reusable face masks. Lots of companies are selling them and I think it's time we discuss who's good and who's not.
vkizzle wrote: I made mine at work using a 3D printer.
Below link are different types.

https://3dprint.nih.gov/discover/ear-saver
I got someone to print those for me recently and they are in the mail, thanks (just checking my bases).
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38180 posts
24364 upvotes
Center of Universe
DaVibe wrote: Whether reusable (cloth) masks work or not, please do not turn this post into a discussion about that. My workplace now requires face masks / face coverings (non-medical setting) and cloth will be adequate. I'm sure there are many people in a similar situation, who want to find quality reusable face masks. Lots of companies are selling them and I think it's time we discuss who's good and who's not.



I got someone to print those for me recently and they are in the mail, thanks (just checking my bases).
Tip, is to wear it high across the top of the head so the ear loop is off the ears and against the temples.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20558 posts
9074 upvotes
Toronto
Which mask is the most cool during this summer heat and easiest to breath in?
Last edited by carmaster on May 29th, 2020 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Jun 30, 2017
287 posts
301 upvotes
DaVibe wrote: I'm glad you said that, I was waiting to pick up one of those, thinking there would be some sort of "quality" ... That sucks.

And they look so nice! Lol

Can you comment on the length of the straps? I have a strap extender that pulls the straps off my ears and towards the back of your neck but wondering if it's even big enough to do that if you are complaining about comfort already (thinking it's too tight).
the roots strap will not go to the back of your neck, it is just short and tight
the cheap cloth one i got from aliexpress has a longer strap than roots

like for roots, i will have to readjust my mask every 10 mins or something because I feel like it could come off

i say avoid for now...i also order from the peace collection here in Toronto and hopefully their mask is better
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
24560 posts
12630 upvotes
Toronto
RealRayRey wrote: the roots strap will not go to the back of your neck, it is just short and tight
the cheap cloth one i got from aliexpress has a longer strap than roots

like for roots, i will have to readjust my mask every 10 mins or something because I feel like it could come off

i say avoid for now...i also order from the peace collection here in Toronto and hopefully their mask is better
I ordered from them as well, just waiting on it. I just ordered 3 more masks on Etsy. Suddenly becoming obsessed.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)