Health & Wellness

Reusable Face Masks You Purchased And Liked ...

Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2451 posts
844 upvotes
Ottawa
MrDisco wrote: yes you could do that with a sewing needle or if you cut the existing elastic off then you'll have enough space for a pencil to slip through
Lol..a pencil..wth was I thinking? A needle makes so much more sense.

I tried an over the head mask once, and it was really nice and tight as opposed to the ear loop ones and you don't need to worry about chafing the ears. Now I totally get why surgeons use the ones that tie around the back of the head.
Feb 11, 2013
56 posts
13 upvotes
North Vancouver
flowerchild wrote: +1 for fancy pants. After checking out many, many sites, I ordered from here from your recommendation. The gorgeous parrot print caught my eye immediately.

Very comfortable and easy to breath in. I ordered 3 to start and will most likely order a few more.

Definitely recommend. Love that they are locally made. The owner even included a personalized hand written note, which I felt was a great touch.
I am so happy that you like them. We have ordered a second time and the service was just as good as the first time. The owner is
also quick to respond to messages on F/B. We love the cat ones.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4399 posts
905 upvotes
Guelph, ON
flowerchild wrote: +1 for fancy pants. After checking out many, many sites, I ordered from here from your recommendation. The gorgeous parrot print caught my eye immediately.

Very comfortable and easy to breath in. I ordered 3 to start and will most likely order a few more.

Definitely recommend. Love that they are locally made. The owner even included a personalized hand written note, which I felt was a great touch.
http://www.fancypantsforthehorse.com/

Absolutely, without a doubt the best reusable masks and fantastic customer service with super quick responses on any questions. And lots of room in masks, easy to talk, breath and great for those with glasses, just top notch!! Received in Ontario in less than a week.

Reached out and they explained to me all 3 layers:
"The inner lining is a 200 thread count cotton muslin as that does a very good job of stopping particles as per doctors and scientists. They recommend anything 120 or higher.
The inner core is a non-woven polyester as they also recommend this sort of material. It is compressed fibers, not in a woven pattern so that, again, serves to trap small particles and virus. The outer layer is in nearly every case unless otherwise stated, a high quality (quilting quality) cotton as that is also what is recommended. The straps are adjustable and there is a metal adjustable nose piece."

We've tried a number of different masks from others and nothing is better and tons of patterns to choose from.
They also have solid colors like Black, etc. ie. https://www.fancypantsforthehorse.com/p ... nd-subdued

Note: When viewing the webpage for each mask, click on color dropdown to view all the options and pictures.
Last edited by sixer on Aug 29th, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4239 posts
799 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
sixer wrote:
Absolutely, without a doubt the best reusable masks and fantastic customer service with super quick responses on any questions. Can add
Lots of room in masks, great for those with glasses, just top notch!! Received in Ontario in less than a week.
I know you can add a filter slot (by asking for it in the comments) but what do you mean by add lots of room?
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4399 posts
905 upvotes
Guelph, ON
dmxlite wrote: I know you can add a filter slot (by asking for it in the comments) but what do you mean by add lots of room?
Just a typo, I've corrected my comments above, thanks for catching it.
Sep 7, 2010
72 posts
23 upvotes
T.Dot
Upvote and replying to keep this statement active. Your mask isn't fitting well which is why your glasses aren't fogging up.

It's not the car that keeps crashing that is the problem, it's the bad driver that's causing the problems.
DaVibe wrote: You need to create a seal, from your face to the mask. If the seal is not good, you'll fog up.
*Advice from my mother - mask wearing nurse who wears glasses.
Jun 10, 2015
142 posts
41 upvotes
Canada
I heard Outdoor Research makes the best reusable masks on the market but they are hard to find.

How good are the Tilley’s in comparison to the stuff at London Drugs, Staples and Sportchek?
Last edited by redflagdealsnewb on Sep 27th, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 10, 2015
142 posts
41 upvotes
Canada
kitscha wrote: FYI, Tilley masks back in stock at Costco.
https://www.costco.ca/tilley-4-pack-fac ... 79277.html
I bought the Tilley 4 pack from Costco. I must say I am disappointed. These ones lack the mesh lining like the ones advertised one Tilley's online store (https://www.tilley.com/ca_en/mk002-till ... dical.html).

I am tempted to return them but that will likely be a long process. I will probably give them to family members.

They are not bad but are clearly not a premium product. I should have known better though. The BondStreet masks at Staples are probably just as good.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4121 posts
742 upvotes
Richmond
I bought mine from muji because its pure white . It can be easily bleached and have a metal strip to create a seal
Aug 23, 2014
195 posts
80 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
redflagdealsnewb wrote: I bought the Tilley 4 pack from Costco. I must say I am disappointed. These ones lack the mesh lining like the ones advertised one Tilley's online store (https://www.tilley.com/ca_en/mk002-till ... dical.html).

I am tempted to return them but that will likely be a long process. I will probably give them to family members.

They are not bad but are clearly not a premium product. I should have known better though. The BondStreet masks at Staples are probably just as good.
To each their own on masks for sure - what works for some won't work for others. I actually prefer the Costco Tilley's because they DON'T have mesh - which seems a weird fabric for a mask. It looks like the mesh only functions to hold a filter in place - and without a filter the masks are essentially only one layer thick. The Costco Tilleys are three layers of what looks like high thread count soft cotton, and they have a nose wire, which the Tilley website masks don't.

The Bond Street masks have a layer of what looks like non-woven interfacing in them, as well as a slot for a filter. I think they're well made but they're a thicker, slightly coarser cotton.

Our latest: we tried the Hanes cotton ones - underwear for your face! - but found the nose wire flimsy and the cut too small for big faces. Nice and soft though. Oh, and the 32 Degrees Costco masks which are so thin, it's hard to believe they provide anything but the most rudimentary protection. Maybe for walking outside??
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4239 posts
799 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
redflagdealsnewb wrote: I bought the Tilley 4 pack from Costco. I must say I am disappointed. These ones lack the mesh lining like the ones advertised one Tilley's online store (https://www.tilley.com/ca_en/mk002-till ... dical.html).

Not sure if Costco does returns on masks....
Anyways, if you've read through the Costco Tilley thread, it was explained that these ones are Tilley branded (designed?) but made in China, where as the direct to consumer (via website) versions are made in Canada. The made in Canada version may have the nicer fabric, but lacks the adjustable nose bridge - they do leave it open so you can insert your own.
redflagdealsnewb wrote:
I have both the Costco Tilley and the Staples BondSteet, but not together at the moment, so I can't do a direct comparison, but the BondStreet one seems to fit a bit smaller. The chin part of the BondStreet mask is a separate panel so it may not fit as nicely if your face isn't the ideal shape/size.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13040 posts
3525 upvotes
RFD
bluebellrose wrote: I bought mine from muji because its pure white . It can be easily bleached and have a metal strip to create a seal
Not supposed to use bleach...

https://hypebae.com/2020/9/muji-canada- ... ere-to-buy

MUJI Canada took to Instagram to demonstrate how to clean and dry the cloth piece, explaining that masks should not be bleached or machine washed.

Wash by gently submerging in lukewarm soapy water and allowing to air dry completely.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3341 posts
1352 upvotes
In the last month on public transit, I've seen several people wearing transparent masks while commuting. Anyone have any experience with these? Are they any good? They sort of look like the ones below in this link.

https://www.amazon.ca/UMFun-Restaurant- ... 1483&psc=1

I'm only interested because they have anti-fog in them.