Health & Wellness

Reusable Face Masks You Purchased And Liked ...

Feb 1, 2014
46 posts
5 upvotes
coriolis wrote: While I can vouch for these masks, stock is an issue. With the 2.5 PM filter it wasn't as bad as I thought to breath.
Yeah... it's pre-sale now, unfortunately. Their website says that their adult masks will be shipping for end of July. My mom (who is older and has impaired immunity) needs a decent mask for a hospital visit. I'm not sure if this mask would arrive in time, unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2468 posts
856 upvotes
Ottawa
Which type/brand of face mask do you guys think fit the best?

There is the tri-fold ones like they sell at Old Navy (no nose piece), or the ones at Gap (has some kind of nose piece).

There are also the masks that have a more molded look like the one from adidas.

Unfortunately neither of these have adjustable ear loops. Because I wear glasses, I've found that having a good nose piece adjustment is super key. I was going to wait for uniqlo Airism masks, but seems like people in Japan aren't liking it and find them to be really hot.

Has anybody found any other ones that have a good fit and allow you to talk?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2468 posts
856 upvotes
Ottawa
Ehulk101 wrote: I use this one https://www.airinum.com/products/urban- ... 4585606249

it's comfy and easily adjustable. i would say it allows you to talk quite well but as with most masks it is designed to go under your chin so if you open your jaw really wide when you talk it may still restrict slightly.
Wow. I thought the one from Under Amour was expensive at $35 a pop, but this is even more. It does look like it has all the bells and whistles tho. and looks like it extends away from the mouth area for easy talking.

I'm not sure if I'll need to be wearing a mask when school starts again, if so none of the ones I have will cut it because of all the talking I have to do. My lips just keep rubbing up on the masks.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2006
4961 posts
445 upvotes
kitscha wrote:
Finally got round to wearing a sendusmasks.com one for a bit this afternoon. With a filter I found it not super breathable (but I think that can be par for the course with some washable masks). The fabric of my black ones is closer to twill, so a thicker cotton - as is recommended - but this might be hard going in the summer and if/when a filter is added. Coverage is really great, these are a good size. See pic below for comparison to standard disposable mask. The nose wire is thinner/flimsier feeling than some but I find that better with my glasses.
Just got the ones from SendUsMasks. After a small delay from Canada Post, from when they actually sent it to when I got it, was about 4 days.

I haven't tried a full day with these but just from trying it on, I really enjoy the fit of these. They fit bigger than the Peace Collective ones I bought previously and at least from being indoors currently and not in a work environment, it feels comfortable. I have not yet tried it with a filter though. The bottom of the mask (the end where it would cover your chin) opens up to place the filter in (if you choose to get the version to have an opening for the filter). The adjustable ear loops are nice to have as well. Agree with you on the nose wire being kind of flimsy.

At $55 for 10 of them, I like it. Price per mask can be higher or lower depending on the quantity you order. Might get these for my parents.

I think you may have mentioned it, but where/what are you getting filters? Or are you just using things like paper towel or coffee filters? PointsHubby mentioned using those 2 earlier on in the thread.
Last edited by Canada_7 on Jul 11th, 2020 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1272 posts
582 upvotes
Ontario
Canada_7 wrote: Just got the ones from SendUsMasks. After a small delay from Canada Post, from when they actually sent it to when I got it, was about 4 days.

I haven't tried a full day with these but just from trying it on, I really enjoy the fit of these. They fit bigger than the Peace Collective ones I bought previously and at least from being indoors currently and not in a work environment, it feels comfortable. I have not yet tried it with a filter though. Do find it kind of odd that the filter pocket is on the bottom of the mask instead of from the top but I'm assuming that whatever you put in there will stay in place as the mask bends around your face... The adjustable ear loops are nice to have as well. Agree with you on the nose wire being kind of flimsy.

[Edit: Just shoved some paper towel into the pocket as a filter, can confirm it doesn't risk falling out. Do see what is meant by it being kind of stuffy with some sort of filter (I guess that depends on what you use as a filter).]

At $55 for 10 of them, I like it. Price per mask can be higher or lower depending on the quantity you order. Might get these for my parents.

I think you may have mentioned it, but where/what are you getting filters? Or are you just using things like paper towel or coffee filters? PointsHubby mentioned using those 2 earlier on in the thread.
Is the filter pocket opening on the opposite side of the nose wire? If it is, they were made wrong and should be exchanged.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2006
4961 posts
445 upvotes
IcarusLSC wrote: Is the filter pocket opening on the opposite side of the nose wire? If it is, they were made wrong and should be exchanged.
I hope I'm explaining this right, but essentially the pocket to place a filter into the middle/in between opens where the bottom of it is, like where your chin would be (you can then push your filter paper into the middle of the mask, between its layers where it could then get in front of your nose and mouth); so vertically. For some reason I expected it to be on the top where your nose would be (so still vertical, but coming from the top; which really doesnt make sense as the nose piece part is always sewed together) but now looking at some more masks, seems like most of them have it as a slide in pocket from the side (from within the inside of the mask), where your cheeks would covered, horizontally I guess.

In my head for some reason it made more sense because I thought if the opening was at the bottom the filter would fall out but it really doesn't as your mask is curved and tight even to wrap around your face. I've edited my original post to avoid confusion and to clarify.
Aug 23, 2014
195 posts
80 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Canada_7 wrote: Just got the ones from SendUsMasks. After a small delay from Canada Post, from when they actually sent it to when I got it, was about 4 days.

I haven't tried a full day with these but just from trying it on, I really enjoy the fit of these. They fit bigger than the Peace Collective ones I bought previously and at least from being indoors currently and not in a work environment, it feels comfortable. I have not yet tried it with a filter though. The bottom of the mask (the end where it would cover your chin) opens up to place the filter in (if you choose to get the version to have an opening for the filter). The adjustable ear loops are nice to have as well. Agree with you on the nose wire being kind of flimsy.

My filter opening was actually on the top, by the nose wire - maybe they changed the design?

I have ordered the pm2.5 filters from Amazon - tons on there - but I'm also making filters from shop towels. Yeah, the blue ones - I've got Scott towels and Zep industrial towels. Inexpensive and they got good marks for filtration on a few websites, though other tests weren't as enthusiastic. Also note the makers point out that the safety of shop towels as filters HAS NOT been verified. May also chop up some of my Costco non-medical disposable masks to use as filters, as I know they're safe to breathe through. Figure I could get at least two filters out of every mask.

Latest mask review - have one from this site: https://canadafacecoverings.ca. These are basically made from heavy swimsuit material with a cotton lining filter pocket. They fit really well - I can actually wear them low enough across my nose so my glasses aren't an issue - and they're breathable, but I think they definitely need a filter (wouldn't rely on the fabrics alone). Ear elastic pretty flimsy, made in Bulgaria for Delfina (Australian swimwear company). Cool prints, $10/mask if you order more than 3. Not bad though will have to see how they hold up after a wash.
Jan 4, 2007
142 posts
30 upvotes
GTA
Where do we buy additional filters as they say to replace every 3 days of use.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1905 posts
1818 upvotes
navin2004 wrote: Where do we buy additional filters as they say to replace every 3 days of use.
google PM2.5 filters