Reverse Osmosis Brand Recommendations

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2018 9:27 am
[OP]
Apr 19, 2018
48 posts
6 upvotes

Reverse Osmosis Brand Recommendations

Firstly, I did research for this on RFD. However, the threads/posts were either outdated or didn't mention enough on brand for me to make a decision. I'm located in Markham and recepty installed an excalibur water softerner. I'm looking to install an RO but can't find a supplier or brand which I should pursue. Preferabbly i'd like to go with a vendor or brand that is recommended by another RFD'er. Can anyone assist?
34 replies
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
663 upvotes
Prestonxavier wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 11:01 pm
Firstly, I did research for this on RFD. However, the threads/posts were either outdated or didn't mention enough on brand for me to make a decision. I'm located in Markham and recepty installed an excalibur water softerner. I'm looking to install an RO but can't find a supplier or brand which I should pursue. Preferabbly i'd like to go with a vendor or brand that is recommended by another RFD'er. Can anyone assist?
Most places just sell rebranded 3M which is a good unit imo

Cheapest is probably Costco?

I got mine from home comfort centre
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1194 posts
417 upvotes
GTA
Prestonxavier wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 11:01 pm
We have a Kinetico.. 12 years old now.
Storage Tank was replaced with a larger one, as it feeds 2 fridges with water and icemaker, and the regular spout it comes with
Have had no problems with it
[OP]
Apr 19, 2018
48 posts
6 upvotes
GSpeed wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 9:45 am
We have a Kinetico.. 12 years old now.
Storage Tank was replaced with a larger one, as it feeds 2 fridges with water and icemaker, and the regular spout it comes with
Have had no problems with it
Who did you buy from?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30431 posts
4994 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I also have a Kinetico K5 reverse osmosis system. This is the best unit in the market. No bladder to bleed or inflate.

The filters are expensive, costs $150 per year and I replace another filter every 5 years.

I also have a Kinetico water softener. I like it because it is maintenance free and requires no electricity.

Since you’re located in Markham, there is a Kinetico dealer at first Markham place.

If you don’t want to drop $2000 on the K5 (yeah, it’s that expensive) then I recommend this unit

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00JLW ... 35PBLJ5A7F

Don’t cheap out on your health and well being.

Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1894 posts
536 upvotes
Markham
OP, what you really need is a TDS meter to measure your tap water first.
You need real measure of tap and filter water.
All these marketing videos will just confuse you more.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2018
48 posts
6 upvotes
BDSL wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 10:04 am
OP, what you really need is a TDS meter to measure your tap water first.
You need real measure of tap and filter water.
All these marketing videos will just confuse you more.
I'm in the process of obtaining this.

Do any of you have feedback or heard of reviews of a brand called excalibur?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1894 posts
536 upvotes
Markham
Prestonxavier wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 3:23 pm
I'm in the process of obtaining this.

Do any of you have feedback or heard of reviews of a brand called excalibur?
I have not heard of excalibur.
Since you live in Markham (so am I), when I measured my tap water TDS, it was around 150ppm. My RO system from http://www.waterdepotstouffville.com/ was able to reduce to around 50-70ppm.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2018
48 posts
6 upvotes
The one thing about waterdepot stouffville is that they carry their own brand and i noticed that the RO system is not certified from the water quality association.
Apr 22, 2014
36 posts
1 upvote
Woodbridge
Hello all - how much does a reverse osmosis system typically cost?

And can anyone refer a good system?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30431 posts
4994 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
liveclean wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 9:13 am
Hello all - how much does a reverse osmosis system typically cost?

And can anyone refer a good system?
I've seen cheap systems starting at $300. You can tell I am partial to Kinetico and they can run up to $2000
Apr 22, 2014
36 posts
1 upvote
Woodbridge
Thanks Gee.

Wow $2000 is a lot................do you have a place in mind that I can visit to seek advice and potentially purchase?
Feb 27, 2007
188 posts
48 upvotes
I have the Water Depot Hercules system. It's nice as it's a bog standard Waterite system (Pretty sure it's just a re-badged Vectapure 400 NX) with a 400gpd membrane so you don't need a (permeate or booster) pump to make water fast, and the filters/membrane can be found easily if you think the local dealer is overcharging or goes out of business.

If I had to just order one from the internet though the Aquatell.ca house brand systems look nice - just stay away from anything that's a "custom" unit unless you like paying through the nose for consumables.