Computers & Electronics

Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) Calculators

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2015 10:55 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1445 posts
557 upvotes
West GTA

Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) Calculators

Are there any models still available for sale at reasonable prices? Are they even made anymore? I'm looking at less than $30.

When I was in school many many years ago, just about everybody in my field of study used HP calculators b/c of the RPN.
I see some old HP models online but they are pretty pricey (about $60 plus shipping), but they were solidly built. My old one is dying.

I realize that everybody has a calculator on their phone nowadays but once you've used RPN it's hard to go back!
10 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 16, 2004
2196 posts
818 upvotes
Toronto
I miss my HP-15c. Lost it in a lecture hall :(

Anyway you can download RPN calculator apps on iOS and Android for free or small charge.
Just do a search.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1988 posts
489 upvotes
Hamilton
I don't think any are available at the price you're looking at. There is the HP 35s which is a scientific calculator and is RPN it's around $69. Oddly enough my old one from school is dead, I can't seem to figure out why. It looks brand new but won't even power on.

I still use my HP 12c at work and I have a backup in a HP 17 calculator for home. Don't get a 12c Platinum as the feel of the buttons is supposed to be off.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 7, 2006
1320 posts
111 upvotes
The HP calculators last forever. I'm sure my HP48G still works(hadn't use it in years). Did you try to replace the battery?
Sum_guy wrote: I don't think any are available at the price you're looking at. There is the HP 35s which is a scientific calculator and is RPN it's around $69. Oddly enough my old one from school is dead, I can't seem to figure out why. It looks brand new but won't even power on.

I still use my HP 12c at work and I have a backup in a HP 17 calculator for home. Don't get a 12c Platinum as the feel of the buttons is supposed to be off.
Intel 2600K @ 4.5Ghz / 8GB
Asus P8P67 DELUXE / Asus GTX 780
Antec 900 Mid Tower / Corsair H70 / XFX 850W Power Supply
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1988 posts
489 upvotes
Hamilton
happyplato wrote: The HP calculators last forever. I'm sure my HP48G still works(hadn't use it in years). Did you try to replace the battery?
I'm going test the batteries I bought, one of them might be bad. My 48SX still works and it's older. The 32S should work as it looks in perfect condition.

/just realized I have too many HP calculators: 48SX, 32S II, 12c, 17Bii+, 10b
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1769 posts
478 upvotes
I have 28S from the late 80's. Ahhh the good old days of RPN! I remember it cost over $200! Too bad it's worth nothing now.

Still works.....or at least it did when I changed the batteries 5 years ago. I'd change the batteries again but have no real use for the calculator anymore, plus it takes 3x type N batteries (not cheap).
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
16944 posts
9018 upvotes
Ottawa
Ah, the days when HP actually made good stuff. Those 80's calculators were bulletproof. It was like buying the Porsche of calculators, they were aspirational
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 6, 2002
6247 posts
6583 upvotes
Toronto
singhrh wrote: I have 28S from the late 80's. Ahhh the good old days of RPN! I remember it cost over $200! Too bad it's worth nothing now.

Still works.....or at least it did when I changed the batteries 5 years ago. I'd change the batteries again but have no real use for the calculator anymore, plus it takes 3x type N batteries (not cheap).
Same here, still have my 28S from 1990. I once coded a "Tetris" game into it using its scripting language and about 2500 characters of manual data entry, copied from some insttructions on a BBS. Lolz, it was about 0.5 fps redraw.

Still works, I still use it about once a month when I'm doing my bills and such.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 3, 2006
1381 posts
113 upvotes
GTA
The thread reminded me of my old 80's HP 15c... I turned it on & it still works in its original batteries.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2687 upvotes
Vancouver
There's a free RPN calculator app being given away in the Amazon App Store for the next couple of days: http://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Financ ... B004UO0SAO

I remember the first HP RPN calculators fondly. A friend of mine brought an HP-35 to school one day for a math exam, borrowed from his father, a government scientist. This was back when it was the very first of its kind, and they cost something like $500. Everyone was impressed. The teachers didn't know what to do about it. I could never afford one of my own though. I still have a functional TI-50, the first affordable scientific calculator for students. It coast about $150.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)