Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 29, 2007
580 posts
39 upvotes

Reversed Surname and First Name...

Hey guys, hoping to get some advice.

I was checking my reservation with LOT airlines and I was wondering why it said I wasn't registered as a traveller. I called the helpdesk and it turns out I reversed my first and last name on the eticket :o It's not mispelled and it matches my passport, just reversed. He said it would cost $87 CAD to change the name and couldn't "guarantee" that I would get past security with this ticket. I understand there's no guarantee since LOT aren't responsible for the security checks. He said he would note it down for the check-in counter, and if it turns out to be a problem (i.e they don't let me board), then I can pay the fee and change it on the day as long as I'm at the airport within a reasonable time (3 hours before departure).

In your experience, has it ever been a problem?? I'm travelling to Prague via Warsaw on a Canadian passport, and I'm holding a long term stay visa which allows me to stay beyond 90 days if that matters at all...

I'm not sure if i should just pay the fee now or see what happens?
3 replies
Dec 19, 2011
560 posts
329 upvotes
The name needs to match your passport or they won't let you through security.

Call and speak to a manager, they should be able to change it for free. It's not transferring, just correcting an error. Call Centers are notorious for not using common sense.
Jan 1, 2007
384 posts
61 upvotes
As long as the two names match identical to what is on your passport you will be fine. The order is not as important as identical match of names. I have made this mistake on a few occasions and have never had an issue anywhere in the world, at most I have gotten a weird look by the boarding who realized what had happened and that was it, nothing even said.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1024 posts
104 upvotes
Maple
We've often mixed up our middle and first names (Asians, have an English name and Chinese name, sometimes one goes before the other in some documents, sometimes the other one goes first). It's never been a problem for us in terms of travel, but when we were purchasing our homes, they required the proper order. I can't even remember which is the proper order because our passport shows one order, and our driver's license shows another.