Shopping Discussion

Review sites: anyone subscribed to Wirecutter?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2022 9:58 pm
Tags:
Jul 21, 2011
26 posts
7 upvotes

Review sites: anyone subscribed to Wirecutter?

Good evening redflagdeals pals,

I may be one of the most naive shoppers, but luckily I've just remembered this site exists :)
Here's the tonight's story.
Last month I've subscribed to NYTimes's Wirecutter site thinking I was going to save time and get the best reviewed stuff. It was a flop lol.
They had 32 degrees as the best budget thermal underwear or smth and I bought it through their link to Amazon.

What arrived was not 90% spandex 10% whatever, but a 48% smth, 48%smth 2% acrylic item made in China. It looks like a knockoff.

Questions:
1. Is this happening at large with stuff you buy from Amazon? Just saw Birkenstocks on sale on Amazon without the Made in Germany stamp on the sole. Is almost everything fake?
2. If it's the brand's store on Amazon, do you think they'd send lesser quality merchandise to Canada?
3. Are the review sites worth it in your opinion?

I'm just surprised because the item I got costs maybe a few cents and is being sold at 35 dollars. Is this the norm these days?

Cheers, I got less money, but happy holidays to all of you :) (not the fraudsters on Amazon)_
2 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
Wirecutter is good but has always felt biased to me. They seem to recommend the over-priced products.

ConsumerReports is a lot better in this regard and their results match real life performance.
Jul 21, 2011
26 posts
7 upvotes
thanks for the input
I agree Wirecutter does seem a bit biased for pushing the US brands for stuff that's very well made elsewhere.

I'll check out ConsumerReports