Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2948 posts
1450 upvotes
Mississauga

ON revised stunt driving/racing went into effect on Sept 12

The days of having fun alone in an empty parking lot after a snow storm is over.

It'll be interresting to see how this affects CASC Autoslalom events. Paid events in private parking lots now need approval from the road authority since the revised law still applies even with approval from the parking lot owner.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/070455
(5) This section does not apply to,

(a) a race track, motor speedway or go-cart track that is built specifically for that purpose in a specified place; or

(b) an event similar to those described in section 4 that is held in a specified place with the written approval of the road authorities having jurisdiction over any highways from which there is road access to the specified place. O. Reg. 598/21, s. 1.

(6) In this section,

“driver” includes a person with care, charge or control of a motor vehicle; (“conducteur”)

“parking lot” includes,

(a) any parking lot, garage or structure, whether public or private, paved or unpaved, flat or multilevel, above or below grade, including any driveway or road that connects the parking lot to a highway,

(b) any private, commercial or industrial parking lot or empty lot from which the public would ordinarily be excluded, and

(c) any parking lot into which drivers are expressly or impliedly invited or permitted to enter, with or without payment, and no matter whether payment is made or whether the driver entered with or without permission; (“parc de stationnement”)

“specified place” means any parking lot, beach, park, bike path or trail, farm field or sports field. (“endroit précisé”) O. Reg. 598/21, s.
Personally I blame the "car enthusiats" in the article below.
https://www.thestar.com/local-newmarket ... -rise.html
12 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4399 posts
4570 upvotes
GTA
I see that the the act makes provisions for rallys sanction by CARS. So it should be pretty easy for CASC to get permission for their autocross events as well. Might be more difficult for smaller organizations though, like HADA and PITL.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19798 posts
3804 upvotes
Toronto
How do they intend to enforce this? The highway traffic has no jurisdiction over what happens on private property.

You can put a 15 year old behind the wheel of your truck and have them drive it all around your farm or property as long as they never touch public roads in Ontario, so I'm not sure why they think they can override the wishes of private property owners and overreach their jurisdiction when it comes to this law.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12670 posts
9283 upvotes
Edmonton
Piro21 wrote: How do they intend to enforce this? The highway traffic has no jurisdiction over what happens on private property.
I think you're missing the point to a CHANGE in the HTA...

C
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19798 posts
3804 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: I think you're missing the point to a CHANGE in the HTA...

C
The highway traffic act applies to highways (public roads) only. Saying a change in it somehow applies to something out of its jurisdiction is like saying you can get charged by the Ontario Medical Association for pulling out one of your own teeth with a string tied to a doorknob.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4771 posts
2274 upvotes
bubuski wrote: The days of having fun alone in an empty parking lot after a snow storm is over....
The days of having fun in Ontario are over! LOL

The whole province is going to become a seniors' residence. A retirement home.

More than 10 years ago, there was a rumour going around that OPP's Julian Fantino wanted to outlaw motorcycles altogether. For "safety". And that he talked to many politicians about it.

While no one can tell for sure if Fantino actually had that conversation, I would believe it. That aspiration actually fits his character. That guy was a "Karen" before we had that name.

Many people here have the NIMBY mentality (have fun but "not in my back yard", not on my roads, not in my neighborhood).
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1668 upvotes
Clarington, ON
motomondo wrote: The days of having fun in Ontario are over! LOL

The whole province is going to become a seniors' residence. A retirement home.

More than 10 years ago, there was a rumour going around that OPP's Julian Fantino wanted to outlaw motorcycles altogether. For "safety". And that he talked to many politicians about it.

While no one can tell for sure if Fantino actually had that conversation, I would believe it. That aspiration actually fits his character. That guy was a "Karen" before we had that name.

Many people here have the NIMBY mentality (have fun but "not in my back yard", not on my roads, not in my neighborhood).
Speculative at best.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17213 posts
19111 upvotes
Oakville
Wow, wtf Doug Ford. Policing what we do in private driveways? So much for "open for business".
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3382 posts
3367 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Piro21 wrote: How do they intend to enforce this? The highway traffic has no jurisdiction over what happens on private property.

You can put a 15 year old behind the wheel of your truck and have them drive it all around your farm or property as long as they never touch public roads in Ontario, so I'm not sure why they think they can override the wishes of private property owners and overreach their jurisdiction when it comes to this law.
It's easy.

They say you're street racing/stunt driving, drive onto your property, impound your car, suspend your license, and say "see you in court".
May 27, 2007
15858 posts
3559 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote: The highway traffic act applies to highways (public roads) only. Saying a change in it somehow applies to something out of its jurisdiction is like saying you can get charged by the Ontario Medical Association for pulling out one of your own teeth with a string tied to a doorknob.
You're taking the name and definition of "Highway" in the "Highway Traffic Act" too literally... There are many instances where the "HTA" applies on private property.
In this case it appears that there was an amendment in the regulation to include "specified place", which is different from "private property" (ie: your driveway).
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4864 posts
954 upvotes
rural ontario
Looking forward 20 kmph speed limits on city streets in 2022
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1668 upvotes
Clarington, ON
rilles wrote: Looking forward 20 kmph speed limits on city streets in 2022