Revolut prepaid Visa

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2020 4:23 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 16, 2014
200 posts
116 upvotes
bylo wrote: FWIW yesterday they rolled out a new version of the Android app to v7.2. This was the second update since the recent upgrade from v6.x to v7.

Coincidence? [Methinks not.]
I updated to 7.1 a few days ago and it was running fine. Today it crashed. Updated to 7.2 and got locked out .
Uninstalled 7.2 and tried reinstalling old version 6.39 which was last working version. Wouldn't install. (probably cuz i had installed newer versions)

Had to set up a @&%## twitter account to chat with @Revolutapp. What a s@%tshow! No other way to contact them!
I'm not leaving money in this app. Will just use it as an FX conduit for the good rates.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1204 posts
887 upvotes
Toronto
b33zlebub wrote: I updated to 7.1 a few days ago and it was running fine. Today it crashed. Updated to 7.2 and got locked out .
Uninstalled 7.2 and tried reinstalling old version 6.39 which was last working version. Wouldn't install. (probably cuz i had installed newer versions)

Had to set up a @&%## twitter account to chat with @Revolutapp. What a s@%tshow! No other way to contact them!
I'm not leaving money in this app. Will just use it as an FX conduit for the good rates.
Nothing surprising there to me. Check out my post #1249 for a laugh.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5514 posts
4551 upvotes
I just withdrew my CAD balance to my bank account no problem, it was done on the latest version beta app on Android.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
4930 posts
2741 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote: I just withdrew my CAD balance to my bank account no problem, it was done on the latest version beta app on Android.
you can withdraw to a bank account without fees?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5514 posts
4551 upvotes
mech9t5 wrote: you can withdraw to a bank account without fees?
I've done it before and it was free, have they recently introduced fees for sending yourself CAD that I'm not aware of?
Feb 16, 2014
200 posts
116 upvotes
mech9t5 wrote: you can withdraw to a bank account without fees?
Yes. No fees to my U.S. bank account and no fees to Cdn bank account.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
4930 posts
2741 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote: I've done it before and it was free, have they recently introduced fees for sending yourself CAD that I'm not aware of?
b33zlebub wrote: Yes. No fees to my U.S. bank account and no fees to Cdn bank account.
Thanks

I hadn't kept on top of this thread. There was some talk of fees early on. I think because it wasn't EFT to CAD account initially. Maybe it was SWIFT or something.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19675 posts
12772 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Verson 7.2.1 has hit the Play store. Might be worth installing to see if it fixes the crashes reported upthread.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1204 posts
887 upvotes
Toronto
I looked over Cardholder terms found at Cardholder term linkss and there's a striking imbalance towards Revolut:

1) The funds that you loaded onto the card are not guaranteed in case they go bankrupt
2) When a merchant preauthorizes a transaction, example when you are buying gas, your card must have enough funds to pay for both the gas and the pre-authorization, usually about 20% extra. Those pre-authorized amounts will not be available to you for about 7-10 days.
3)If your card identity gets stolen, Revolut is not responsible for reimbursing charges made before you notified them
4) The Card may be deactivated at any time if fraud, related to the Card or use of the Card, is suspected.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19675 posts
12772 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Bull Dog wrote: I looked over Cardholder terms found at Cardholder term linkss and there's [an even more] striking imbalance towards Revolut [than any other Canadian bank or credit card issuer]:
FIFY ;)
1) The funds that you loaded onto the card are not guaranteed in case they go bankrupt
2) When a merchant preauthorizes a transaction, example when you are buying gas, your card must have enough funds to pay for both the gas and the pre-authorization, usually about 20% extra. Those pre-authorized amounts will not be available to you for about 7-10 days.
3)If your card identity gets stolen, Revolut is not responsible for reimbursing charges made before you notified them
4) The Card may be deactivated at any time if fraud, related to the Card or use of the Card, is suspected.
Wow! So basically:
• Use this card only as a cash substitute for making small transactions.
• Consider this card like you would a wad of "walking around money" to use when travelling. If you lose it it's gone and there's no recourse.
• Anyone who uses this card to move larger amounts is gambling with their money.
• As we've seen from the discussion upthread and on Revolut's own forum, their idea of customer service is customer ignorance--in both senses of that word.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 16, 2014
200 posts
116 upvotes
Got back access. REVOLUT had to email me a verification code. Updated to 7.2.1 and app is working now. Will only be using the app for loading and either purchasing or transferring funds immediately. My funds held hostage for about a day is troublesome.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1204 posts
887 upvotes
Toronto
Just for the hell of it, I tried loading a small amount of money onto Revolut. Both my Tangerine CC and Scotiabank debit card were declined, so didn't add any money. I can't be bothered calling Fraud department at Tangerine and Scotiabank. @ajuicy Were you able to load your Revolut account? This company needs to have Canadian account numbers if they are actually interested in going live.

Edit: Still able to load money via Stack prepaid card, transferred a small amount. Obviously no exchanging money till after 7 pm tonight to avoid extra weekend charges. Will do on Monday to be safe.
Nov 3, 2016
77 posts
20 upvotes
Tried using TD APVI to load money. It incurred cash advance fees.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3898 posts
2150 upvotes
Gotham
vik369 wrote: Tried using TD APVI to load money. It incurred cash advance fees.
This information was discovered and documented in this thread in March of this year. You could have avoided the fees by searching for it.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

b33zlebub, bylo