Personal Finance

Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG -> Aeroplan, Marriott -> SPG, Amex MR -> SPG, etc.)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2018 12:26 am
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC

Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG -> Aeroplan, Marriott -> SPG, Amex MR -> SPG, etc.)

Thought it would be useful for people to aggregate this info in one spot.

Start off with a few data points ...
  • Marriott <-> SPG: instant [as of Nov 2016]
  • SPG <-> SPG (at same address): up to 5 days reported, 1 business day (3 calendar days) actual [as of Nov 2016]

Examples of data points to contribute, anything missing below or anything else you think of ...

Amex Membership Rewards (MRs):
  • MR -> SPG: next morning, 1 day, 4 days, 3days [as of Nov-Dec 2016, sources: coleworld, Flitox, Elfwood, neverless]
    - 2:1 transfer ratio, minimum 1,000 MR, increment 100, "Estimated transfer time: 5 business days" [official source]
  • MR -> Aeroplan: instant, ~30 minutes [as of Nov 2016, sources: jerryhung, DefconZero]
    - 1:1 transfer ratio, minimum 1,000 MR, increment 100, "Estimated transfer time: up to 30 minutes" [official source]
  • MR -> Avios: 6 days, but also 2 sources for 36-48 hours (shows up 2nd day by 11pm), and another "6 business days" [as of Dec 2016, source: bemat786, as of Jan 2017, source: Nimbusplane plus offline source, 6 business days Raven_007]
    - '2nd day at 1am' (ET?) If so could be same as "by 11pm" (PT?) source above making it 25-49 hours Nimbusplane post #88
  • MR -> other
  • MR -> US MR (see below): ??? <- curious about this one

US Amex Membership Rewards (MRs):
  • US MR -> CDN MR: 2 days after agent contacts you by phone to confirm [source: sahiljain22]
  • US MR -> SPG
  • US MR -> Aeroplan
  • US MR -> Avios
  • US MR -> other

Marriott Rewards Points (MRPs):
  • MRP -> SPG: instant [as of Nov 2016, source: OP]
    - 3:1 ratio, 1,000 MRP minimum transfer size and increment
  • MRP -> Aeroplan (via the hotel+flight combos, or otherwise)
    4-8 days for travel package, possibly "following Tuesday" [source: joeags post #34]
  • MRP -> Avios, etc (at a quick glance, these appear to suck compared to SPG->partners with 25% bonus for 20k redemption increments, e.g. 25k Avios cost 70k MRP, but 60k MRP would get you 20k SPG which gets you the same 25k Avios)
  • MRP -> United: 1 business day [as of Dec 2016, sources: sahiljain22 post #29, neverless post #42]

Starwood Preferred Guest (starpoints, aka SPGs):
  • SPG -> SPG (at same address): up to 5 days reported, 1 business day (3 calendar days) actual [as of Nov 2016, source: OP]
    - 1,000 SPG minimum transfer size and increment
  • SPG -> MRP: instant, 5 minutes (actually wasn't showing up for ~2 minutes but I logged out/in and it was there) [as of Nov-Dec 2016, sources: OP, neverless post #42]
    - 1:3 ratio, 1,000 SPG minimum transfer size and increment
  • SPG -> Aeroplan: 4 days (10pm ET of the 4th day) [source: crimsona post #81]
  • SPG -> Alaska: 'fast' (9pm PST next day) [source: Nimbusplane post #79]
  • SPG -> Delta: 'about a day' [source: crimsona post #91]
  • SPG -> Avios
  • SPG -> other

RBC Avion:
  • RBC -> Avios
  • RBC -> Asia miles: 4 business days [as of summer 2016, source: malakijoy's Mum :)]
  • RBC -> Westjet, AA, other...

IHG:
etc...

Actual last-updated date is Jul 17, 2017 (below auto-generated text will always say:
"Last edited by ace604 on Nov 20th, 2016 9:59 am, edited XX times in total.")
Last edited by ace604 on Nov 20th, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 41 times in total.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
178 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
[reserved, for maybe a table or something]

Or how do you turn on the "thread summary" feature?

Claiming this post for a new section ...

Transfer times from credit cards to partner rewards programs

• SPG Amex -> SPG: 1-2 days after statement typical (have had delays of over a week once)
  • Chase Marriott Visa -> Marriott: (everyone's statement cycles on the 11th and points appear at Marriott ~18th)
  • MBNA Alaska Airlines MC -> Alaska: 3-5 days [source: Malakijoy]
  • MBNA Best Western MC -> BWR: seen as little as 1 day after statement, and also seen multiple weeks.
  • TD Aeroplan Visa -> Aeroplan: day monthly statement issued [source: foreigncontent]
  • etc...
Last edited by ace604 on Nov 20th, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
If you contribute a data point, please also include a date (or at least year/month and indicate estimate or otherwise quote a source) ... just in case these things change over time for the worse or better.
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Yay,I'm the first(besides op) to post! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Could you add transfers from RBC Avion to Avios,Asia Miles,Westjet,AA

RBC Avion to Asia Miles took 4 business days for my Mum a couple of month;s ago.
Malakijoys points programs tips

Favourite credit cards I have-Amex Business Gold.Amex Business SPG
Nov 24, 2015
559 posts
182 upvotes
Might want to add in the conversion ratio as well...

ie off the top of my head...
Amex MR to SPG (2:1)
Amex to AP (1:1)
SPG to Marriot (1:3)
Marriot to SPG (3:1)
SPG to AP (1:1)
Marriot to AP (Varies)
Dec 31, 2015
422 posts
69 upvotes
Mars
Marriott to SPG was instant
SPG to aeroplan requested transfer on the 18th of November still waiting... :(

UPDATE 3 days :)
Last edited by chaddix7 on Nov 21st, 2016 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 16, 2009
1389 posts
624 upvotes
Vancouver
MR to Aeroplan was about 30 minutes transfer 2 weeks ago for me.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
ignites wrote: Might want to add in the conversion ratio as well...

ie off the top of my head...
Amex MR to SPG (2:1)
Amex to AP (1:1)
SPG to Marriot (1:3)
Marriot to SPG (3:1)
SPG to AP (1:1)
Marriot to AP (Varies)
Fair point, but I guess I thought this is more a resource for someone who already knows what they are transferring for (like I know all those off the top of my head too) but might not know (or forget) how long things take to transfer since it seems to be highly variable from instant, 30 minutes, 1 business day, to up to 2-3 weeks depending on which partner to which partner.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
ecgz88 wrote: US MR -> CDN MR: ???....that can be done? How?

For SPG transfer time, you can check this Flyertalk thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood ... ts-35.html
I've read you can do this (once per year limit?? per direction or total???) by calling Amex MR department on the source side of the transfer and asking them kindly to do so for you.
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2004
1163 posts
791 upvotes
1 Business Day (Friday 11/18 to Monday) for SPG to SPG within household.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
joeags wrote: 1 Business Day (Friday 11/18 to Monday) for SPG to SPG within household.
Thanks, OP already updated -- exact same thing here ... Marriott 50k from Chase -> SPG on Friday -> SPG #2 by Monday.
Apr 28, 2012
964 posts
345 upvotes
QC
personal experience:
AmEx MR to SPG: 1 day
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
3121 posts
905 upvotes
North Vancouver
Can you provide the post/source? If I can transfer CAN MR to US MR, that would be awesome.Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
ace604 wrote: I've read you can do this (once per year limit?? per direction or total???) by calling Amex MR department on the source side of the transfer and asking them kindly to do so for you.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26752 posts
9315 upvotes
where I belong
AMEX MR > Aeroplan should be INSTANT (within 10 seconds even)

I haven't done one recently, but it's always been instant for me

Thanks for the thread
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
ecgz88 wrote: Can you provide the post/source? If I can transfer CAN MR to US MR, that would be awesome.Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Sorry, if I had found it in <2 minutes I would have. I think at least 2 people mentioned it on Jerry's thread and/or the US bank account for Canadians thread here on RFD.

us-bank-account-credit-card-canadians-943374/

If you find it let us know ... it wasn't anything definitive other than someone saying "you can do it" and you just call up Amex MR # and they do it for you at the current exchange rate.

I don't know that you'd want to go from CAD -> USD MR though unless there was a program you REALLY wanted to convert to since you'll lose 25% on the conversion southbound.
I'm looking to do this northbound within a year to use my free 50k US MR from the PRG. At least that way I get a 33% bonus and get 66k CAD MR :)
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
ecgz88 wrote: Can you provide the post/source? If I can transfer CAN MR to US MR, that would be awesome.Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
ace604 wrote: Sorry, if I had found it in <2 minutes I would have. I think at least 2 people mentioned it on Jerry's thread and/or the US bank account for Canadians thread here on RFD.

us-bank-account-credit-card-canadians-943374/

If you find it let us know ... it wasn't anything definitive other than someone saying "you can do it" and you just call up Amex MR # and they do it for you at the current exchange rate.

I don't know that you'd want to go from CAD -> USD MR though unless there was a program you REALLY wanted to convert to since you'll lose 25% on the conversion southbound.
I'm looking to do this northbound within a year to use my free 50k US MR from the PRG. At least that way I get a 33% bonus and get 66k CAD MR :)
I just did an online secure chat with US Amex (Canadian Amex is lagging behind in website features but it slowly looks to be improving towards the same site style as US).
Confirmed by looking up in his "internal search engine" that you can do these kinds of transfers. I would just need to provide him with my Canadian account info and a # for them to contact me at (# tied to the Canadian account). It gets handed off to the rewards department or something.

The direct # he gave me to contact to do this myself was: 1-800-297-3276
This is the same number listed at www.membershiprewards.com (1-800-AXP-EARN)

I presume they could do the transfer southbound as well. Possibly you'd need to contact Canadian Amex MR to do that?!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2014
5384 posts
3826 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I made a transfer from AMEX MR to SPG on Nov 13, it showed up in my AMEX points profile

11/14/2016 -30,000

In my SPG account

Bonus +15,000 - 11/18/2016 AMEX REWARDS CANADA

then same day I moved to Marriott

Award -15,000 - 11/18/2016 STARPOINTS TO MARRIOTT POINTS

then in my Marriott Rewards account

11/18/16 Bonus The date of your last qualifying activity was 11/18/16. TRANSFER FROM MY SPG ACCOUNT 45,000 points

this top-up extended all my Marriott points expiry

The date of your last qualifying activity was 11/18/16.
Your account will remain active and points won’t expire as long as you stay or use some of your points by 11/18/18.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4027 upvotes
BC
Thanks. I just confirmed same thing on my Marriott account ... curious that, since the terms of the linking between Marriott and SPG clearly stated that transfers between those two would NOT extend expiry.

Anyways, if in an expiry pinch... you can always book a room on points and then cancel it for a refund.

EDIT: Ya, specifically in the terms footnotes it says it shouldn't count. I wonder if they'll fix that ...

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/default.mi#item8

"8. POINTS EXPIRATION POLICY: Members must remain active in the Rewards Programs to retain Points they accumulate. If a Member is not active for 24 consecutive months, that Member will forfeit all accumulated Points. The Rewards Program will start enforcing this policy on February 1, 2016. Members can remain active in the Rewards Programs and retain accumulated Points by earning Points or Miles in the Rewards Programs or redeeming Points in the Rewards Programs at least once every 24 months, subject to the exceptions described below.

If a Member does not maintain an active status for five consecutive years, the Member's account may be deactivated. Once Points have been forfeited, the Points cannot be reinstated, but a Member can earn new Points, unless that Member's account is deactivated too.
  1. Not all Points activities help maintain active status in the Rewards Programs. The following activities do not count toward maintaining an active status in the Rewards Programs:
    • gifting or transferring Points; however, converting Points to Miles or Miles to Points does count toward maintaining an active status
    • receiving Points as a gift or transfer
    • earning Points through social media programs, such as #MRPoints
    • the transfer of points from a Member’s Rewards Program account to their SPG Program account, or the transfer of points from a Member’s SPG Program account to their Marriott Rewards account. Note that following the transfer of points across accounts, the points expiration policy of the account to which the points were transferred will apply to such points.
    • Linking a Rewards Program account with a SPG Program account"
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
3121 posts
905 upvotes
North Vancouver
Thanks! I don;t know they will do it for current exchange rate Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes I thought was 1:1

Depends on where you transfer to, I will probably just keep my points in US side since they got more partner and I can keep the points with no fee US AMEX card (Unlike Canada one have to get Gold with annual fee)
ace604 wrote: I just did an online secure chat with US Amex (Canadian Amex is lagging behind in website features but it slowly looks to be improving towards the same site style as US).
Confirmed by looking up in his "internal search engine" that you can do these kinds of transfers. I would just need to provide him with my Canadian account info and a # for them to contact me at (# tied to the Canadian account). It gets handed off to the rewards department or something.

The direct # he gave me to contact to do this myself was: 1-800-297-3276
This is the same number listed at www.membershiprewards.com (1-800-AXP-EARN)

I presume they could do the transfer southbound as well. Possibly you'd need to contact Canadian Amex MR to do that?!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)