Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Rexall

10% Off Canadian Tire Gift Cards (May 26 to Jun 1)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2017 6:45 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26651 posts
15244 upvotes
Toronto
My issue is Canadian Tire has written into their terms an "out" which says, we are responsible for nothing.

With the cards I've had scammed balances, the retailer had helped out and provided me a replacement card.
Canadian Tire doesn't have to do this because it's in their terms. So, if tomorrow they decide they don't want to help you out, they don't have to.

It's concerning and I wish the terms were not there.
M-e-X-x wrote: Agreed. So far only 1 card out of 6 I've bought had an issue, but was resolved quickly with CTC. Was bought along with 3 other cards with no issues so odds are it was more the clerk forgot to activate than steal.
It should be 0% lol 1 out of 6, wow.
Glad they helped you out, my concern is, if they change their minds, we have nothing to fall back on.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Oct 27, 2015
208 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have bought close to 100 of these cards over the years. And so far not one has been compromised. Fingers crossed!
Nov 27, 2016
140 posts
68 upvotes
I just bought my appliance in Canadian tire last week. Can I bring the box of the item back to store and make it as change of payment by using those gift card? It could save me a lot. Thanks.
May 8, 2002
821 posts
153 upvotes
Bought $3000 worth last time with credit card. No problems and cashback from credit card Thumbs Up Sign
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
48990 posts
10269 upvotes
Richmond Hill
supermaster wrote: I just bought my appliance in Canadian tire last week. Can I bring the box of the item back to store and make it as change of payment by using those gift card? It could save me a lot. Thanks.
Receipt only is required, no need to bring in the box.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
6499 posts
2544 upvotes
Calgary
supermaster wrote: I just bought my appliance in Canadian tire last week. Can I bring the box of the item back to store and make it as change of payment by using those gift card? It could save me a lot. Thanks.
Yeah just take in the recept and tell them you want to change the payment method, if they give you a hard time you can just say you forgot you had them or some other lame excuse.

Things to consider though if changing the payment method to a gift card,
if you ever have to return it, you only gt a refund card back which has a 1 year expiry
and if you have additional insurance from your credit card company, obviously those will no longer be eligible.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9315 posts
7703 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
keyser-soze wrote: Since to use online you need the pin as well I thought.
So I guess when you buy cards make sure they have a non scratched pin?
Canadian Tire gift cards contain no PIN. That's why it's easy for scammers.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
6499 posts
2544 upvotes
Calgary
WhatADeal! wrote: Canadian Tire gift cards contain no PIN. That's why it's easy for scammers.
also mag stripe readers/writers are easy and cheap, that's why responsible retailers use the scratch code for all purchases.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26651 posts
15244 upvotes
Toronto
T3rry wrote: also mag stripe readers/writers are easy and cheap, that's why responsible retailers use the scratch code for all purchases.
But I'm beginning to wonder if the strip is copied and the numbers are picked up there, regardless of the scratch code area.
I recently took some photos (I wanted to add to my gift card thread) about how a retailer was now doing a "better job" of protecting the gift card, by now adding a scratch portion (for the unique numbers of the card).
However, the strip is still out in the open!

I can't imagine that this solves the problem 100%, because if magstrip copiers are involved, they must be getting a lot of information from the card, without it even being activated yet.

Canadian Tire cards are just BAD on both fronts. All the numbers are exposed, no scratch sections, magnetic strip is out in the open.

For the sake of this thread, I just wrote Canadian Tire, basically asking if they'll give me back my money, should the card balance be stolen, because quite frankly they don't have to with those terms.
We'll see what they say. At least if it's said then you have a half-foot to stand on (customer service correspondence versus gift card terms)

I too buy A LOT of these gift cards (I use to) and I WANT to participate in this promotion, but I can't knowing what I know. I'm not against the company, I want them to fix the problem, that's all.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Nov 27, 2016
140 posts
68 upvotes
Thanks mate. I will hold this for now as the extra warranty from my credit card applied.
T3rry wrote: Yeah just take in the recept and tell them you want to change the payment method, if they give you a hard time you can just say you forgot you had them or some other lame excuse.

Things to consider though if changing the payment method to a gift card,
if you ever have to return it, you only gt a refund card back which has a 1 year expiry
and if you have additional insurance from your credit card company, obviously those will no longer be eligible.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2008
1703 posts
1785 upvotes
I bought a Canadian Tire gift card the last time SDM had the 10% off but havent used it yet. Is there anyway for me to check the balance online just to make sure its okay? Or should I take it to a store? Or am I over thinking this?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
4193 posts
11677 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
DaVibe wrote: For the sake of this thread, I just wrote Canadian Tire, basically asking if they'll give me back my money, should the card balance be stolen, because quite frankly they don't have to with those terms.
We'll see what they say. At least if it's said then you have a half-foot to stand on (customer service correspondence versus gift card terms)

I too buy A LOT of these gift cards (I use to) and I WANT to participate in this promotion, but I can't knowing what I know. I'm not against the company, I want them to fix the problem, that's all.
Thanks @DaVibe. I'm sure we all will appreciate a follow-up with their reply to your question(s) to this thread.
bpcrally wrote: I bought a Canadian Tire gift card the last time SDM had the 10% off but havent used it yet. Is there anyway for me to check the balance online just to make sure its okay? Or should I take it to a store? Or am I over thinking this?
WHAT'S ON YOUR CARD?
Need to check your balance? Call 1-800-387-8803, option #3

Source: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/gift-cards.html
Mar 13, 2017
270 posts
148 upvotes
Just bought 8 of these cards.. Should keep me fueled up for the summer, along with my bicycle. I'll only be using my car for UberEATS while I bike to work and the grocery store :D
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2963 posts
1976 upvotes
Edmonton
bpcrally wrote: I bought a Canadian Tire gift card the last time SDM had the 10% off but havent used it yet. Is there anyway for me to check the balance online just to make sure its okay? Or should I take it to a store? Or am I over thinking this?
. Hum,. Serious thinking. Best you spend more time analyzing. But as a last resort go to CT and buy something....It will be fine. The sky is not falling..........
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1252 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
keyser-soze wrote: Yes you can use these at gas bar, thats mainly what I got them for.

I think the scammer would have to be very very patient. So they get the number off the cards. Then have to hope someone activates it. They can't check online if it's been activated as you need to scratch the card to reveal the pin. So what do they just carry around the numbers and the get a cashier to enter the numbers off a paper into till and hope card has been activated?

Since to use online you need the pin as well I thought.

So I guess when you buy cards make sure they have a non scratched pin?

Just trying to play out the scenario... If I have it wrong let me know.
Canadian T gift cards don't have the pin. That's the issue. Otherwise they'd be safer...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
6499 posts
2544 upvotes
Calgary
DaVibe wrote: But I'm beginning to wonder if the strip is copied and the numbers are picked up there, regardless of the scratch code area.
I recently took some photos (I wanted to add to my gift card thread) about how a retailer was now doing a "better job" of protecting the gift card, by now adding a scratch portion (for the unique numbers of the card).
However, the strip is still out in the open!

I can't imagine that this solves the problem 100%, because if magstrip copiers are involved, they must be getting a lot of information from the card, without it even being activated yet.

Canadian Tire cards are just BAD on both fronts. All the numbers are exposed, no scratch sections, magnetic strip is out in the open.

For the sake of this thread, I just wrote Canadian Tire, basically asking if they'll give me back my money, should the card balance be stolen, because quite frankly they don't have to with those terms.

if they have a pin, the pin is only physically printed on the card, not stored in the card, the corresponding pin is stored on the gift card company's servers, which is why even with mag stripe, the cashier has to reveal and manually enter the pin.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26651 posts
15244 upvotes
Toronto
T3rry wrote: if they have a pin, the pin is only physically printed on the card, not stored in the card, the corresponding pin is stored on the gift card company's servers, which is why even with mag stripe, the cashier has to reveal and manually enter the pin.
There are PINs on Esso branded gift cards and yet they are still stolen. That's because the PIN is not part of the purchase process.
The cashier swipes the card and completes the transaction, a PIN is not needed.

I've even suggested THAT before, seems like a simple solution. Treat a gift card like a debit card, with the PIN to be scratched off by the paying customer holding the card in-hand, but currently, nothing like that exists.

That's why this whole PIN or no PIN question is not really a concern to me, because I know the balances are still stolen, even with PINs lol

Edit: I re-read what you wrote. I'm not sure how Canadian Tire cashiers process GC's (with or without the PIN) but with that said, there are still cases of users here on RFD of balances being stolen. Therefore, I'm under the assumption that it doesn't matter, because somehow the balance was still removed on these cards.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9182 posts
3859 upvotes
Toronto
Bought a bunch.

We use these primarily for gas. AT the CT cashier, they take the GC and swiped it. No entry of any PIN. I always keep the receipt with the card balance, with the card. This way if there is a loss of balance, I always have the last receipt.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)