Off Topic

RFD cannabis thread! Aka marijuana (formally a AMA, but feel free to chat up a cannabis storm!) HAPPY NEW YEAR 2020!

Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1055 posts
457 upvotes
TORONTO
Invader Gir wrote: Yeah this will be my first time. Hoping that the settings used tonight are correct and all comes out right. My buds shouldn’t loose any shape or colour because of this, and the flavour profile increased too. Lots of medical marijuana is now freeze dried because of the fast “Farm To Owner” packaging that can be done.
Nice!
Obviously the cure is what will make or break it.
What are your thoughts on the Integra packs? I used them last year and that little piece of paper that lets you know if the pack is done is a lie! I have one from last year sitting out in the open and it didn't change colour at all. I'm sure the packs work but that indicator hasn't worked for me and other friends who have used them.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1446 posts
434 upvotes
I really don’t pay attention to them either. With the freeze dried weed, it has actually been cured this way too. No hay taste or smell, and probably the best smelling/tasting weed I have. Gave some to my neighbour and texted me saying it was probably his top 3 best tasting strains/smokes he has ever had. He even said it might be his top choice and that is just plant number one of many that will be coming this way. Just gonna need a ton more jars with my harvest because tonight should of been 3 jars with with a regular dry (due to shrinking) As you can see, I filled 5 jars and all the way to the tops too. Some of my outdoor girls will need well over a dozen jars alone if I freeze dry it all and I have only like 5 dozen jars downstairs. Hope I can find more jars being outta season now, or all bought up
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1446 posts
434 upvotes
Ok one more shot of my LSD nugg under my digital microscope. As you can see, freeze drying preserved all the trichomes perfectly. Probably could of let them go a couple more days more, but the high is still pretty good
07C287B1-01E6-4AE9-A886-076FF8BC11C2.jpeg
F2134F1D-BA6C-4D2E-B627-4B08C479E2FD.jpeg
1A31B9C1-67D3-4DB0-981A-DC0DA6971F55.jpeg
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1055 posts
457 upvotes
TORONTO
damn bro. Makes me wanna link up with you so you dry my flowers when I harvest in a few weeks.

I turned a couple of my exotic phenos last year into Shatter. My friend does everything in his garage. Closed loop obviously. And properly purged in a vacuumed oven. When I harvested I put all the flower straight into the freezer. The live resin/shatter that it produced was amazing. Freezing does save terps for a full flavour smoke.

I've been reading up on freeze drying. There are some great articles out there. I also see the apprehension. Your pics do show that the trics are not affected at all. Which is awesome. I'm just wondering how smooth the smoke is. I get that the terps and taste is there, which is highly important. But from what I gather, it's the chlorophyll that causes the harsher smoke. Hence, curing, which is the breakdown of sugars/chlorophyll.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1446 posts
434 upvotes
akswun wrote: damn bro. Makes me wanna link up with you so you dry my flowers when I harvest in a few weeks.

I turned a couple of my exotic phenos last year into Shatter. My friend does everything in his garage. Closed loop obviously. And properly purged in a vacuumed oven. When I harvested I put all the flower straight into the freezer. The live resin/shatter that it produced was amazing. Freezing does save terps for a full flavour smoke.

I've been reading up on freeze drying. There are some great articles out there. I also see the apprehension. Your pics do show that the trics are not affected at all. Which is awesome. I'm just wondering how smooth the smoke is. I get that the terps and taste is there, which is highly important. But from what I gather, it's the chlorophyll that causes the harsher smoke. Hence, curing, which is the breakdown of sugars/chlorophyll.
Gotta get in line for using my freeze dryer. Buddy at work and neighbour want to borrow as well for there harvests. They’re all outside grows and so it wouldn’t work out too well with my 10 outside and the 7 the tent. Although the tent grow should be done in 2 weeks time tops. Then I gotta get my new 5x5 tent up in its place

Vaping it is super smooth and even the bong hits have been much less harsh on my throat. Still can give you a good cough but the bowl is almost completely used up after one light. This stuff is so light and airy that it goes up in a literal puff of smoke. Vaping at 428f on my Solo II last longer but doesn’t reach completely to the end of my 12 minute setting all the time. Although I did lightly pack my bowl when I did so
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3253 posts
28225 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm liking this weed I'm currently smoking. Been high from it for a few days and not coming down anytime soon from my smokes. It's been getting me high, but when someone else is here, they usually go, you haven't eaten anything in hours, that's why you're smoking so much..Like I'm getting my nutrition from the weed lol. I ate one sandwich since waking up at noon, and it's a warm day, nearing on potentially colder days ahead, or at times, so I'm just enjoying it, and took a cbd gummy (cut some from it, not the whole thing) and am back to being chill. Starting taking it again yesterday once and it was alright. Taking it too much all the time lowers it's effects cuz you're used to them. I wonder how much harder my weed could hit me if I smoked less and not every day time and time. No bother, it hits me alright and occupies my head space when everything else can seem repetitive, not the weed, always a good time.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2093 posts
559 upvotes
Kitchener
Interesting, I've never considered washing the buds. How much water do you mix the lemon juice (concentrate or squeezed) and baking soda with?
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4006 posts
434 upvotes
Georgetown
Does anyone know where to buy activated carbon for an air filter? I used to know a place that sort it by weight for a reasonable place, but they don't do it anymore. Ideally a place in the west GTA.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1446 posts
434 upvotes
sam123 wrote: Interesting, I've never considered washing the buds. How much water do you mix the lemon juice (concentrate or squeezed) and baking soda with?
It’s what I read from the 420magazine forums. I use a a dollarama white bucket (4.7G) and use 1/2 cup of baking soda and same for lemon juice (store bottle kind) Then swish it around with some lukewarm water and another just bucket of water. Main reason for me is because I had a battle with spider mites in my grow and used some powder to help kill/keep them at bay. Don’t wanna smoke that with the bud
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4006 posts
434 upvotes
Georgetown
Invader Gir wrote: It’s what I read from the 420magazine forums. I use a a dollarama white bucket (4.7G) and use 1/2 cup of baking soda and same for lemon juice (store bottle kind) Then swish it around with some lukewarm water and another just bucket of water. Main reason for me is because I had a battle with spider mites in my grow and used some powder to help kill/keep them at bay. Don’t wanna smoke that with the bud
I have heard of people doing this with hydrogen peroxide... 5 gallons of water and a cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Soak for a few minutes, and then give a good rinse... gets "whatever" off of it... mold, mites, bird crap, etc...
Sep 16, 2019
729 posts
848 upvotes
Looking to do my first grow ever and I am finding so much conflicting information. I am only looking to do a space tote grow, like a space bucket but with two of these 102L totes.

I'm trying to decide on the light to buy, and at this point I'm over deciding which type of light is best. I'm just gonna go for one of these. I just don't know how much real wattage I need. The model I linked is 200W, but I'm not sure if that is overkill for growing two plants inside the two totes. I also plan on using LED strips around the inside of the tote, near the bottom.

Your help would be extremely appreciate! TIA
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1446 posts
434 upvotes
Parrajara wrote: Looking to do my first grow ever and I am finding so much conflicting information. I am only looking to do a space tote grow, like a space bucket but with two of these 102L totes.

I'm trying to decide on the light to buy, and at this point I'm over deciding which type of light is best. I'm just gonna go for one of these. I just don't know how much real wattage I need. The model I linked is 200W, but I'm not sure if that is overkill for growing two plants inside the two totes. I also plan on using LED strips around the inside of the tote, near the bottom.

Your help would be extremely appreciate! TIA

What would you be willing to spend on a light. I really haven’t heard of the company myself and seems like a cheap Chinese led light. I wouldn’t worry about the LEDs stripping. Now is this hydroponic grow or are you just filling with soil? Are these also going in a tent for the grow or not? Most lights will give you the veg state foot print on what they cover and one for flowering stage. Your veg will always be bigger than your flowering footprint. In my tent right now I have a HLG 600W Quantum Board along with a MarsHydro SP250 (245w) in a 4x4 tent. I’ve been happy with the performance of the MarsHydro light with plenty of trichomes crystals forming.

Hopefully I can you more once I have more info. Plus I would highly suggest starting an account at the 420magazine forums to get better info from much more experience growers. Especially if you are setting up for hydroponics, cause I know dick on that.
[external link removed]
Sep 16, 2019
729 posts
848 upvotes
Invader Gir wrote: What would you be willing to spend on a light. I really haven’t heard of the company myself and seems like a cheap Chinese led light. I wouldn’t worry about the LEDs stripping. Now is this hydroponic grow or are you just filling with soil? Are these also going in a tent for the grow or not? Most lights will give you the veg state foot print on what they cover and one for flowering stage. Your veg will always be bigger than your flowering footprint. In my tent right now I have a HLG 600W Quantum Board along with a MarsHydro SP250 (245w) in a 4x4 tent. I’ve been happy with the performance of the MarsHydro light with plenty of trichomes crystals forming.

Hopefully I can you more once I have more info. Plus I would highly suggest starting an account at the 420magazine forums to get better info from much more experience growers. Especially if you are setting up for hydroponics, cause I know dick on that.
I am considering this 1000W Oneo. It consumes 135W actual wattage.

I looked through a bunch of models and I got so much conflicting information, that I just am over it... Can't tell if it's wrong descriptions (common with Amazon), or if I am looking at it the wrong way. I just wanna get something cheap but reliable, I'm not looking for a long life expectancy as I plan to move oversea within 1-2 years

An example of the conflicting information:
  • this 300W VIPARSPECTRA has an actual wattage of 132 but is equivalent to 250W HPS
  • this 600W Mars Hydro has an actual wattage of 100W that also is equivalent to 250W HPS
  • And also this 1000W Mars Hydro with an actual wattage of 150W, also replaces a 250W HPS
This is all very confusing and misleading. I think amperage is what dictates the efficiency in which the light emits, so I understand that LEDs are more efficient. But all of these are LEDs lights, and they all seem to have more or less the same type of LEDs bulbs (except for the Viparspectra that has blurple bulbs). I really don't see how the gap in efficiency could be this much. I also can't get a concrete answer on whether blurple infused quantum boards are better or not, but I think I'm going all white. Apparently the new all white lights actually are better? If not, then I wouldn't mind this Viparspectra because it's on sale (meaning not overly inflated price) right now.

I plan on designing my Space Tote so that the height where the lamp rests can be adjusted. I was wondering if there are any benefits from buying a dimmable light? I haven't found anything online indicating that there is a need for altering the brightness of the light during or after the growing process.

Moving on....

I will also be using these LED light strips for the harder to reach areas (bottom of the tote).

I am wondering if I should use 2x 120mm fans on the bottom as air intake, and 1 x 240mm fan on the top as an exhaust.

I am debating keeping the main light inside like in this design, but there a few things to consider. If I build it with the lamp inside:
  • if I pick the design with the lid on, I would need passive cooling lamp like the Oneo I linked earlier, since a light with a lamp would need to exhaust out the top lid.
  • Better light insulation
  • If I design a pulley system for the lamp, it would be easy to adjust the height of the lamp as the top lid is always on and light would not escape. I guess I would want to adjust it for different growth stages.
If I put the lamp on the outside like in this build:
  • it allows more room for growth (few inches max)
  • the light could probably be a pulley system and adjustable too, but much more complex to design.
I feel like the extra inch I may gain is not worth leaving the lamp outside.
In terms of design, that's the basics of it... Now I need to figure out the rest... how to grow!! hahaha.

I will be doing a grow with soil and I plan on growing sativa (against general recommendation). Hopefully this gives you a little more insight, looking forward to your feedback. I will copy and paste this in the 420 forum too

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)