Shopping Discussion

RFD Classic - Woman returns Christmas tree in January because it's 'dead'

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2018 2:31 pm
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 10, 2011
9502 posts
2051 upvotes
Somewhere
dude

she bought a dead tree and returned cuz its dead

wut
:confused:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
211 upvotes
YVRdarb wrote: Gotta laugh, or cry at this one ....
Didn't sheridannurseries used to give 3 or 5 years guarantee? If the tree is dead or dont get fruits in 3 or 5 years?
And this is costco. I have seen worse things returned at costco.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
Well, Costco had no business selling a customer a dead tree to begin with!
Member
User avatar
Dec 17, 2009
241 posts
165 upvotes
These people make me irrationally angry...
Banned
Nov 21, 2009
2465 posts
1042 upvotes
There goes Costco's return policy for every innocent person.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1966 posts
858 upvotes
HK
I am no longer surprised after reading some of the posts by members here.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4935 upvotes
Here 'n There
Yeah I was behind a lady who was returning a 1/2 used box of washing powder discs because they were no good. I commented that they were already 1/2 used and wouldn't she know that as soon as she started using them? She just shrugged her shoulders. At the counter the clerk showed her the 6 previous boxes of the exact same washing powder discs she returned before. Her game was to buy them, use 1/2, then return them to get a full refund, then do the same thing all over again. She did not get a refund but protested. How can someone be so dishonest and sleep at night. It's nothing but fraud. I wish Costco would tighten their return policies as this just costs us all more.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1368 upvotes
eonibm wrote: How can someone be so dishonest and sleep at night. It's nothing but fraud. I wish Costco would tighten their return policies as this just costs us all more.
Agreed. Anecdotally, I heard of people going to restaurants, eating 1/2 to 2/3 of their meals and then complaining about it. Some make a scene and get to not pay for their food. The poor waitress is stuck with the bill.

That's just wrong on so many levels.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
211 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: Good on Costco.
I agree.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 25, 2005
2284 posts
1337 upvotes
Ottawa
eonibm wrote: Yeah I was behind a lady who was returning a 1/2 used box of washing powder discs because they were no good. I commented that they were already 1/2 used and wouldn't she know that as soon as she started using them? She just shrugged her shoulders. At the counter the clerk showed her the 6 previous boxes of the exact same washing powder discs she returned before. Her game was to buy them, use 1/2, then return them to get a full refund, then do the same thing all over again. She did not get a refund but protested. How can someone be so dishonest and sleep at night. It's nothing but fraud. I wish Costco would tighten their return policies as this just costs us all more.
Or just hand out lifetime bans.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15922 posts
13153 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
sandeeS wrote: Didn't sheridannurseries used to give 3 or 5 years guarantee? If the tree is dead or dont get fruits in 3 or 5 years?
And this is costco. I have seen worse things returned at costco.
Yes “Tree Guarantees” are common at better nurseries like Sheridan
Some nurseries offer plant & flower guarantees too

Cannot recall who right off the bat, but before Christmas I read an ad for a Living Christmas Tree from a nursery
You buy the tree in a pot... use it as a Christmas Tree, then plant it outdoors in the Spring
It had a Guarantee too
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22119 posts
16729 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: Good on Costco.
Agreed. Consider the value to Costco of all the free publicity. Costco gets sympathy from people who believe the woman is wrong. People who didn't know Costco has one of the best return policies in the business now know that they do. They may join Costco because of that even if they would never pull the sort of stunt the woman did.

All for the wholesale price of one Christmas tree. Brilliant!

This reminds me of the Nordstrom Tire Return legend. They reportedly took back a car tire under their no-quibble returns policy even though Nordstrom doesn't even sell car tires. Whether that story is true or not is besides the point. The enduring PR value of that decades-long legend is priceless.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sr. Member
Dec 15, 2006
945 posts
543 upvotes
Ottawa
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: Agreed. Anecdotally, I heard of people going to restaurants, eating 1/2 to 2/3 of their meals and then complaining about it. Some make a scene and get to not pay for their food. The poor waitress is stuck with the bill.
In this case a manager comps the food. The waitress is not stuck with the bill.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
16163 posts
4985 upvotes
London
Looking at some other versions of the photo, I'm not sure it's an Xmas tree.

Most photos are cropped so the trunk isn't visible. The trunk doesn't look like a commercial cut Xmas tree.

It looks more like a juniper/ shrub of some kind.

Edit here's the uncropped photo

Image
Sr. Member
Sep 8, 2006
909 posts
557 upvotes
Edmonton
At least she brought back most of the tree.

I was at Costco in the summer and a guy wanted a refund on 2 trees he claimed was dead. What he brought back was the bulb (roots and soil) with maybe 2 feet of the leafless trunk sticking out of it (he chopped the rest of the top off). It looked hilarious. I heard the service agent saying that's not a type of tree we carried and they went back and forth. No idea how it ended.
Sr. Member
Jul 8, 2009
661 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: The poor waitress is stuck with the bill.
Just a reminder: That is illegal pretty much everywhere. Yes, nasty employers will do it, but they're breaking the law.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28786 posts
9252 upvotes
People did crap like this at Sears too and got away with it. Worked for Sears for decades to keep refunding stuff like this somehow but look where they are now. Somehow Costco has "solved" this problem by charging back these returns to the company they bought the stuff from which I dunno why companies do business with them in that case but I guess the returns are far outweighed by the sales.

Seriously people used to buy things like blinds/curtains, bed sheets, and all manner of things and return them like 10 years later out-of-warranty and the whole bit, and they'd stamp their feet and make some noise and guess what? Sears would refund them.

Top