Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2021 11:54 pm
May 2, 2005
687 posts
128 upvotes
Swerny wrote: how worn is the remaining drivetrain?

If it's all in good shape, just buy a new rear derailleur.

Upgrading to new 1x11 or 1x12 will cost far more than the bike is worth.

1x12 would also require a different rear hub to accommodate the new cassette.
Shoot, forgot about the hub. My bad, you won't fit a 10-52 without a new one. If you have an HG hub, you could go 1x10 or 11. If you have the Ti frame, it may be worth it, but depends on what you want out of the bike and what you want to put in. Sorry, been only working on new stuff lately.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3052 posts
12732 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
I have an Northrock - SCR1 and I have delta shoes used on my echelon bike, what type of pedals do i need to get for my road bike?
Rogers Unlimited Province, 12gb $39/month!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4017 posts
1892 upvotes
Mississauga
Rlcky wrote: I have an Northrock - SCR1 and I have delta shoes used on my echelon bike, what type of pedals do i need to get for my road bike?
The same exact pedals you use those shoes with your SCR1 and Echelon. And I have no idea what delta shoes are.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1143 posts
792 upvotes
Calgary
Rlcky wrote: I have an Northrock - SCR1 and I have delta shoes used on my echelon bike, what type of pedals do i need to get for my road bike?
cRaZyRaVr wrote: The same exact pedals you use those shoes with your SCR1 and Echelon. And I have no idea what delta shoes are.
Guessing he means shoes with LOOK Delta cleats...?

How did you end up with Delta shoes without a Peloton bike? From what I've read, it's a deprecated cleat/pedal system that Peloton fitted on their bikes as a very questionable choice. I suppose by selling something quasi-proprietary, they also make a market for shoes too instead of people using the rather ubiquitous SPD/SPD-SL.

Short answer is - comb ebay for old LOOK Delta compatible pedals, or switch both sets of pedals (and cleats on your shoes) to SPD-SL.
Feb 21, 2011
90 posts
115 upvotes
Canada
DimsumDeals wrote: Hey guys, any reliable helmet i can buy that will not break the bank? I bought a Northrock CTM bike recently and plan to start biking this spring/summer. WIll mostly bike on paved roads and trails. And maybe I also need some shorts to protect my groin from the bike seat.
You can check out the cycling kit from sports chain Decathlon. There are many good reviews of their cycling clothes, like gloves and shorts. The price is relatively cheap for the quality.
Apr 23, 2016
499 posts
529 upvotes
Kelowna
Finally got slapped with duties from a UK order. First time in like 8 orders. Feels bad.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4017 posts
1892 upvotes
Mississauga
R35gtr wrote: Finally got slapped with duties from a UK order. First time in like 8 orders. Feels bad.
Expect to always get duties / taxes tagged. When you dont, be happy. If you do, nothing special.
Oct 16, 2007
675 posts
589 upvotes
Montr
Any good deal on a decent wheelset?

Between 1000-2000$
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3425 posts
4670 upvotes
Edmonton
So I managed to order a Northrock XC27 for $450 during the last Costco stock. I read the comments on the thread saying it is not so good because it has 21 speed Altus gear? I am pretty new to bike gear. I know it's made by Giant and apparently a very good deal.

Does it make sense to spend double for a few upgrades on a bike that you want to last for years or fairly tame riding? We have an infant so I will be hooking up a trailer two summers from now. I doubt we will do many difficult trails in the near future.

My wife has a 2012 Rocky Mountain Flare 29 that she has always liked. I like her 29 inch wheels but I don't know if they are necessary. She is certainly faster on her Rocky Mountain than me on my old Iron Horse clunker.

I noticed Rocky Mountain has a 2021 Soul 20 (27.5") for MSRP $989 that has all Deore stuff. Also there is a 2021 Fusion 30 with 29" wheels and Deore for significantly more at $1250.

Any advice or other things to suggest?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4017 posts
1892 upvotes
Mississauga
Enjoy what you got. Use it and learn to mountain bike. I bet you will not ware out the drivetrain on the bike before other things fails. Once you feel you have outgrown the bike, then upgrade. There is always something better. Dont over think this.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3425 posts
4670 upvotes
Edmonton
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Enjoy what you got. Use it and learn to mountain bike. I bet you will not ware out the drivetrain on the bike before other things fails. Once you feel you have outgrown the bike, then upgrade. There is always something better. Dont over think this.
Thanks for the advice. I'm currently riding a clunker, a 2003 Iron Horse with V brakes haha. I managed to look up the specs of it though and found that it also uses some old Altus components. I hate the bike so I am wondering whether the Northrock won't be enough of an upgrade. Though the brakes will be a treat.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3117 posts
1873 upvotes
Pothole city
frederixx wrote: Any good deal on a decent wheelset?

Between 1000-2000$
We are gonna need more details... Disc? road or mtb? Aero? Thru axle or QR
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2752 posts
1814 upvotes
R35gtr wrote: Finally got slapped with duties from a UK order. First time in like 8 orders. Feels bad.
Sounds like you had a good run. Curious what got dinged?

I'll be grabbing a set of GP5000's some time soon.
Apr 23, 2016
499 posts
529 upvotes
Kelowna
peli33 wrote: Sounds like you had a good run. Curious what got dinged?

I'll be grabbing a set of GP5000's some time soon.
Orderd a 105 crank, derailleurs and kmc chain. This is the first time I've ordered multiple products on a single order. Usually it's a single product (chain, tires, derailleur etc). Not sure if that had anything to do with or not, maybe my luck just ran out.
Oct 16, 2007
675 posts
589 upvotes
Montr
typer100 wrote: We are gonna need more details... Disc? road or mtb? Aero? Thru axle or QR
Road bike with quick release. Clinchers too

I thoht about the Campagnolo Bora One but just a tad expensive. I want to see if there's a better deal around

Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3117 posts
1873 upvotes
Pothole city
frederixx wrote: Road bike with quick release. Clinchers too

I thoht about the Campagnolo Bora One but just a tad expensive. I want to see if there's a better deal around

Thanks
Not cheap either but crazy light. DT240 hub.
https://www.probikekit.ca/bicycle-wheel ... 91026.html
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4017 posts
1892 upvotes
Mississauga
frederixx wrote: Road bike with quick release. Clinchers too

Thanks
So I am going to ask, what do you have now, what dont you like about it, what do you think new wheels will change / improve?
Nov 21, 2008
737 posts
203 upvotes
I would like to order a two Continental GP 5000 28MM tires in the next month to be prepared for biking in March.

Here are the options I can find online:

Bike24:
$125CAD (including $21 shipping)

Wiggle (free deliver starts at $132 CAD)
$141 CAD (including $28 shipping fee)

Probikekit
$120 (with $20 delivery)

Chainreactioncycles (free shipping over $150)
$125 (with $12 delivery)

Does anyone know if I'm missing any options that may be cheaper - or alternatively, know if any of these companies have promo codes I could use?

Probikekit is the cheapest, but only $19 to qualify for free shipping at Wiggle, so maybe I can think of something cheap from Wiggle I could use

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3117 posts
1873 upvotes
Pothole city
sunnycnm5 wrote: I would like to order a two Continental GP 5000 28MM tires in the next month to be prepared for biking in March.

Here are the options I can find online:

Bike24:
$125CAD (including $21 shipping)

Wiggle (free deliver starts at $132 CAD)
$141 CAD (including $28 shipping fee)

Probikekit
$120 (with $20 delivery)

Chainreactioncycles (free shipping over $150)
$125 (with $12 delivery)

Does anyone know if I'm missing any options that may be cheaper - or alternatively, know if any of these companies have promo codes I could use?

Probikekit is the cheapest, but only $19 to qualify for free shipping at Wiggle, so maybe I can think of something cheap from Wiggle I could use

Thanks!
Merlin Cycles. 109$ with 2 free tubes and 15$ shipping
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3117 posts
1873 upvotes
Pothole city
cRaZyRaVr wrote: So I am going to ask, what do you have now, what dont you like about it, what do you think new wheels will change / improve?
Improving with new wheels, let's say lighter and more aero, is minimal. When you start spending that king of money on wheels, it's more for the bling effect. Sure you might shave some weight, etc... But the end of the day, it's more for that Instagram picture.
Like my friends says: "Not sure if I will be faster, but my bike will be a lot prettier"

I'm on my second set of wheels on my current bike. With disc brakes, you can now improve look with new disc. That tan sidewall on tires is the new trend also.
That's exactly why you see, 10, 15K for road bikes and even 20K for mtb. Unless you make a living racing, why would you spend that kind of cash. Bling Bling.

Face Screaming In Fear

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

itrocks4u