Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 2:07 pm
Aug 19, 2012
80 posts
17 upvotes
TORONTO
1xTiMeR wrote: They're all good bikes. Though getting it across the boarder might prove difficult.

Need to know what offerings they have for Canada and to see if Canyon will really come this spring.
Agreed, not really worth importing Canyons from the US with the hassle of cross-border shipping, especially with covid right now. The bikes do pop up in Canada, though, so I guess it's worth it for some people. I saw someone riding a blue Aeroad last summer in Toronto and someone else was selling an Ultimate on Kijiji.

Also agreed on the second point. Canyon has already delayed their Canada launch in the past so it's anyone's guess as to when they'll open up for business here. I wouldn't be surprised if the date is pushed back further with all the shortages that other companies are currently facing.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3581 posts
2795 upvotes
Pothole city
sixteen12 wrote: I use the WD40 bike cleaner, its cheap and available everywhere. Works well.
The big 3.8L jar is 23$ at CT and it's biodegradable. I use an old Tupperware container to dip the chain and cassette parts.
Last edited by typer100 on Feb 11th, 2021 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 18, 2006
3581 posts
2795 upvotes
Pothole city
1xTiMeR wrote: The Canyon is 7.02kg (15.47lb) stock
What model?
Nov 18, 2006
3581 posts
2795 upvotes
Pothole city
Funny... browsing the Canyon site I was only able to see the disc version. But this bike has all Ultegra components, not 105. The 8 Series seems to be Ultegra and 7 Series 105.
Not so sure about the future proof of a rim brake, QR setup in 2021, but the savings are not negligible.
Apr 25, 2006
8452 posts
3627 upvotes
typer100 wrote: Funny... browsing the Canyon site I was only able to see the disc version. But this bike has all Ultegra components, not 105. The 8 Series seems to be Ultegra and 7 Series 105.
Not so sure about the future proof of a rim brake, QR setup in 2021, but the savings are not negligible.
Canyon has different offerings for different countries, i.e. they have different URLs altogether. Sucks to be in Canada at the moment looking for a Canyon bike :(

I hate disc brakes. I am actively looking for a rim one.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1959 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
typer100 wrote: The bid 3.8L jar is 23$ at CT and it's biodegradable. I use an old Tupperware container to dip the chain and cassette parts.
Are you referring to Simple Green? It's good stuff and I use it (diluted) for all of my bike cleaning. Be careful not to soak things too long, as mineral deposits start to form on certain components.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3581 posts
2795 upvotes
Pothole city
wushudrew wrote: Are you referring to Simple Green? It's good stuff and I use it (diluted) for all of my bike cleaning. Be careful not to soak things too long, as mineral deposits start to form on certain components.
No WD40
Apr 25, 2011
3155 posts
12777 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
wushudrew wrote: Are you referring to Simple Green? It's good stuff and I use it (diluted) for all of my bike cleaning. Be careful not to soak things too long, as mineral deposits start to form on certain components.
Do you mix it with water?
Rogers Unlimited Province, 12gb $39/month!
Dec 11, 2011
524 posts
837 upvotes
CALEDON
I recently purchased a beginner road bike that will require assembly. I plan on testing it post assembly but I have no experience with roadbikes to determine if it's "out of tune".

Would there be any value to have it "fitted" to me by a bike shop or is that stuff hogus bogus?
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14179 upvotes
Toronto
sik20fan wrote: I recently purchased a beginner road bike that will require assembly. I plan on testing it post assembly but I have no experience with roadbikes to determine if it's "out of tune".

Would there be any value to have it "fitted" to me by a bike shop or is that stuff hogus bogus?
a fit is worth doing but it's usually done BEFORE buying a bike...so you buy one that fits you.

It can be done after the fact (I've had it done) but the number of things that can be changed are limited.
Last edited by Swerny on Feb 11th, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1352 posts
1283 upvotes
Calgary
sik20fan wrote: I recently purchased a beginner road bike that will require assembly. I plan on testing it post assembly but I have no experience with roadbikes to determine if it's "out of tune".

Really just comes down to testing shifting (can you get into every gear smoothly) and braking effectiveness, and whether the drivetrain rubs or makes excessive noise. Lots of videos online for how to adjust derailleurs for shifting and rubbing.

I'm a recreational rider and have trouble with the thought of paying the cost of a professional bike fit ($200+). I would start with basic adjustments (check out GCN on youtube for a few good videos on this) and ride. If anything gives you grief in terms of pain or soreness, then worry about a fit to address the issues after.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3047 posts
2146 upvotes
Anyone winter training right now?

I use Zwift (for group rides and racing) and Sufferfest (for training)

If you want to try Sufferfest use the code SONYA60 (care of Sonya Looney, Pro Cyclist. Give her a follow on Instagram)

Gives you extra 60 days for free on top of the 14 day trial period. That gets you through a 10 week training block FOR FREE (usually training blocks last 12-16 weeks)

Training programs are written with Neal Henderson, Coach for Rohan Dennis.
Nov 21, 2008
765 posts
318 upvotes
Update on my tire saga:
ordered a pair of 28mm conti GP 5000's from Probikekit on Feb 2. Total including shipping was $109 ($20 shipping but 10% off for first purchase made above $80). No duty.

Arrived today.

Thanks for the advice on the order.

Can't wait for the first outdoor ride!
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2009
1895 posts
540 upvotes
London
Got a clearance power meter from 4iiii "slight cosmetic blemish"

oops

Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5863 posts
2611 upvotes
Do you guys have a preferred seller on Ali for bike parts?

Looking specifically for SPD-SL pedals and possibly a carbon seatpost and saddle...

Pretty hard to browse that site, current strategy is to sort results by number of orders...

TIA
Mar 8, 2004
755 posts
289 upvotes
joshmxpx wrote: Do you guys have a preferred seller on Ali for bike parts?

Looking specifically for SPD-SL pedals and possibly a carbon seatpost and saddle...

Pretty hard to browse that site, current strategy is to sort results by number of orders...

TIA
Be aware of pedals from Aliexpress. I was about to purchase the same pair of spd sl's in the video:
Mar 1, 2020
844 posts
237 upvotes
GTA West
Cassette replacement for 9 speed 2003 Ultegra still possible these days for my lemond?

What should I "downgrade" to?

Clearly advances in technology make it not compatible but trying to see if I can still use the same config without spending an arm and a leg...
(See original specs below)

Component Group Shimano Ultegra
Brakeset Shimano Ultegra Dual Pivot brakes, Shimano Ultegra STI Dual Control levers
Shift Levers Shimano Ultegra STI Dual Control
Front Derailleur Shimano 105
Rear Derailleur Shimano Ultegra GS
Crankset Shimano Ultegra, 39/53 teeth
Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-5500, 109.5mm spindle
BB Shell Width 68mm English
Rear Cogs 9-speed, 12 - 25 teeth

Thanks!

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)