Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 11:56 am
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13061 posts
7132 upvotes
Toronto
linsook wrote: They will be remembered.
Seriously though, I’ve never run a Chinese frame, but I have had several sets of wheels with no issues whatsoever
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3574 posts
1377 upvotes
Mississauga
1xTiMeR wrote: How are these / what do you think are good value for rim breaks:

https://www.yoeleobike.com/road/wheels/rim-brake.html

I want to buy this rim break evo below and then put the carbon wheelset on which would look stealthy:

https://www.cannondale.com/en-ca/bikes/ ... 11750m1048
They are all decent but its all up to personal preference. I would not go deeper than 30mm every again for myself due to cross wind issues and not much help elsewhere.
Get widest rims you can fit with 28/30mm tires to go with them for perfect balance of comfort and speed, and height again based on preference.
Hubs I dont know much about, I had the middle of the line.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
2219 posts
92 upvotes
Does anyone know where I can get a mid to high end Smart trainer for indoor cycling. I've been looking for the Wahoo KICKR and it seems to be sold out everywhere.

Lastly, if anyone has any recommendations for an excellent Smart trainer as of present date, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
Sr. Member
Mar 16, 2018
670 posts
747 upvotes
Hamilton
Izzoshady wrote: Does anyone know where I can get a mid to high end Smart trainer for indoor cycling. I've been looking for the Wahoo KICKR and it seems to be sold out everywhere.

Lastly, if anyone has any recommendations for an excellent Smart trainer as of present date, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
What's your location?

If noise is a big problem, I'd say the Kickr Core is still the sweet spot for a relatively quiet (any spinning flywheel is always kind of loud) trainer. I had to return my first one because of noise after a year, but my second one has had no issues. Looks like Sweet Pete's in Toronto has them in stock. I've heard good things about the Elite Suito, although I haven't tried it myself- it seems to be in stock in quite a few Canadian stores (Primeau in Montreal, Ridley's in Calgary).
Member
Jan 2, 2010
447 posts
154 upvotes
Izzoshady wrote: Does anyone know where I can get a mid to high end Smart trainer for indoor cycling. I've been looking for the Wahoo KICKR and it seems to be sold out everywhere.

Lastly, if anyone has any recommendations for an excellent Smart trainer as of present date, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
You always have the option to buy directly from wahoo, if you don't mind playing the custom lottery. I recently got one and was lucky. It turns out to be a few hundreds bucks cheaper than buying locally. A other mentioned, Elite Suito/Directo has great reviews too. Always look at this trainer guide.
Member
Jan 22, 2017
310 posts
200 upvotes
GTA
Izzoshady wrote: Does anyone know where I can get a mid to high end Smart trainer for indoor cycling. I've been looking for the Wahoo KICKR and it seems to be sold out everywhere.

Lastly, if anyone has any recommendations for an excellent Smart trainer as of present date, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
Also, don't forget to also look for your cassette. You'd be surprised how low stock is for certain ones like an 11/34 10speed cassette.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
2219 posts
92 upvotes
Thanks for the advice everyone. Appreciate it!

For reference I am in Toronto.

I do have another question. If I want a 100% indoor bike setup tied to a smart trainer (let's say for purposes a Wahoo Kickr + Climb) can anyone recommend me a good bike frame for it.

I am 6ft if that helps.

Many thanks for the great answers and feedback. I really thank you all for it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 6, 2005
1757 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Izzoshady wrote: I do have another question. If I want a 100% indoor bike setup tied to a smart trainer (let's say for purposes a Wahoo Kickr + Climb) can anyone recommend me a good bike frame for it.

I am 6ft if that helps.
If it's going to be a dedicated trainer bike, anything goes. I would look for an affordable used aluminium rim-brake bike in your size and change saddle, stem, and handlebars to fit. If you're 6ft, then you are probably looking for around 58cm frame size.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3574 posts
1377 upvotes
Mississauga
Izzoshady wrote: Thanks for the advice everyone. Appreciate it!

For reference I am in Toronto.

I do have another question. If I want a 100% indoor bike setup tied to a smart trainer (let's say for purposes a Wahoo Kickr + Climb) can anyone recommend me a good bike frame for it.

I am 6ft if that helps.

Many thanks for the great answers and feedback. I really thank you all for it.
So you dont have a road bike yet?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
2219 posts
92 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: So you dont have a road bike yet?
Buying everything new for an indoor setup. I had a bike last summer but had to sell it due to having to work in the US for a while. So starting from scratch again.

Need (I've included pieces I'm thinking about)

1. Smart Trainer - Wahoo Kickr + Climb
2. Bike Frame - https://www.sweetpetes.com/product/trek ... 0694-1.htm
3. Components for Bike to customize the ride.

Do you have any recommendations or should I look for these components piece by piece.

Thanks in advance,
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13061 posts
7132 upvotes
Toronto
Izzoshady wrote: Buying everything new for an indoor setup. I had a bike last summer but had to sell it due to having to work in the US for a while. So starting from scratch again.

Need (I've included pieces I'm thinking about)

1. Smart Trainer - Wahoo Kickr + Climb
2. Bike Frame - https://www.sweetpetes.com/product/trek ... 0694-1.htm
3. Components for Bike to customize the ride.

Do you have any recommendations or should I look for these components piece by piece.

Thanks in advance,
If you have nothing and just want an indoor bike, just buy a spin bike

If you plan to ride outdoors, then proceed as outlined
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
10214 posts
2753 upvotes
Newmarket
I suppose I'll be in the market for an indoor trainer given where COVID is headed.

Any recommendations? Maybe I'd try out Zwift?
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3574 posts
1377 upvotes
Mississauga
WorldIRC wrote: I suppose I'll be in the market for an indoor trainer given where COVID is headed.

Any recommendations? Maybe I'd try out Zwift?
I tried Zwift last year for the first time out of boredom. Its absolutely fantastic and beats pointless spinning watching movies. You get motivated to actually do something there. I will be subscribing again come winter for sure.
I have Tacx Flow smart trainer and a dedicated wheel to go along. You still need a USB Ant+ setup but thats cheap and works great.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3574 posts
1377 upvotes
Mississauga
Izzoshady wrote: Buying everything new for an indoor setup. I had a bike last summer but had to sell it due to having to work in the US for a while. So starting from scratch again.

Need (I've included pieces I'm thinking about)

1. Smart Trainer - Wahoo Kickr + Climb
2. Bike Frame - https://www.sweetpetes.com/product/trek ... 0694-1.htm
3. Components for Bike to customize the ride.

Do you have any recommendations or should I look for these components piece by piece.

Thanks in advance,
If you dont plan on riding outside, dedicated stationary would be a way to go.
IF you do plan to ride outside, skip the "do it yourself" part, and just buy a complete bike. In the end you will not be saving anything at all. You might learn a thing or two putting it together but thats it.

Top