Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2020 3:21 pm
Jan 22, 2017
311 posts
203 upvotes
GTA
That feeling when you buy knee warmers perhaps one size too big Disappointed Face
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
2219 posts
92 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: If you dont plan on riding outside, dedicated stationary would be a way to go.
IF you do plan to ride outside, skip the "do it yourself" part, and just buy a complete bike. In the end you will not be saving anything at all. You might learn a thing or two putting it together but thats it.
If I want a pure and frustration free experience with Zwift isn't it better to go with a Bike + Smart Trainer rather than a Stationary bike?
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20902 posts
3365 upvotes
YUL
I ended up buying a Schwinn IC4 spin bike, but after only 2 weeks, I sold it. It jsut felt so different to my bike and the whole Peloton thing is more like an aerobics class. So now I'm looking for a smart trainer. What's the best way to replicate being out ridinga real bike?

I have a Plasma TV and I can hook up Zwift to it if need be. Which of the Wahoo's or other smart trainers for $800 or less would you all recommend?
Sep 27, 2003
10216 posts
2754 upvotes
Newmarket
Ended up ordering the Elite Suito Trainer!

RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3578 posts
1383 upvotes
Mississauga
WorldIRC wrote: Ended up ordering the Elite Suito Trainer!
IF you donna be a bear might as well be a grizzly lol :)
Where from? You getting a cassette or will you transfer what you got?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3578 posts
1383 upvotes
Mississauga
Izzoshady wrote: If I want a pure and frustration free experience with Zwift isn't it better to go with a Bike + Smart Trainer rather than a Stationary bike?
Not at all. Nothing is bombproof and it will depend on whether you want to ride outdoors or not.
Sep 27, 2003
10216 posts
2754 upvotes
Newmarket
cRaZyRaVr wrote: IF you donna be a bear might as well be a grizzly lol :)
Where from? You getting a cassette or will you transfer what you got?
It comes with a 105 cassette, 11-28. Only thing is I use an 11-32 now so I may end up swapping out the cassette.

Also, MEC. They had 20 last night. Looks like they're sold out now!
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1213 posts
193 upvotes
Swerny wrote: Seriously though, I’ve never run a Chinese frame, but I have had several sets of wheels with no issues whatsoever
I'm riding a Miele carbon frame bike that I bought as my first road bike 3 years ago. I'm a heavy rider, and am now putting on close to 5k/year combined indoor/outdoor. No issues whatsoever with the frame, which was made in China.
Sep 27, 2003
10216 posts
2754 upvotes
Newmarket
camzie wrote: I'm riding a Miele carbon frame bike that I bought as my first road bike 3 years ago. I'm a heavy rider, and am now putting on close to 5k/year combined indoor/outdoor. No issues whatsoever with the frame, which was made in China.
I knew Jim Miele when I was a kid. He'd hate knowing that his name was being used on Carbon bikes from China.
RFD Forums Moderator
Apr 23, 2016
432 posts
487 upvotes
Kelowna
najibs wrote: I ended up buying a Schwinn IC4 spin bike, but after only 2 weeks, I sold it. It jsut felt so different to my bike and the whole Peloton thing is more like an aerobics class. So now I'm looking for a smart trainer.
  1. What's the best way to replicate being out ridinga real bike?
I have a Plasma TV and I can hook up Zwift to it if need be. Which of the Wahoo's or other smart trainers for $800 or less would you all recommend?
I don't think there is one. Riding a real bike on a trainer is incredibly boring even with zwift. I just hauled my trainer out of the crawlspace and I'm disgusted by the thought of having to use it.
Jul 2, 2003
402 posts
76 upvotes
GTA
For those looking for a bit of a discount on indoor trainers, you can get 10% off from The Bike Shop (Calgary) and BicycleMcW (Montreal) by signing up for their newsletter/email subscription.
Mar 8, 2004
581 posts
148 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: I knew Jim Miele when I was a kid. He'd hate knowing that his name was being used on Carbon bikes from China.
We have a Miele Uno LS in the household. We are the original owners from the late 80s!
Sep 27, 2003
10216 posts
2754 upvotes
Newmarket
Gabriella wrote: We have a Miele Uno LS in the household. We are the original owners from the late 80s!
Got a pic of it?
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1016 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
Suggestion needed: I have a 2014 GT Avalanche comp. While the bike is in a overall nice shape, the fork (Suntour XCM) is getting too hard and will either need repair or replacement. I like riding flowing trails that are not too gnarly but the fork causes too much strain my my wrists. One option I have is to drop $400-425 and replace the fork with a Manitou Markhor or Rockshox, Recon silver TK. Both are available in 26'' size. I also need a new bike in the family so that will be $500 or so.
Another option is to give this bike to my wife who likes riding primarily flat rail trails etc. and look for a bike for myself with the approx $1000 budget. That way I can get a newer bike with more upgrade options down the line. I am confused as I like the bike in general and it has been good and has decent parts. The only things I have had to replace were the brakes and the chain. Should I keep it, replace the fork and get my wife a new bike OR try looking for a new bike for myself and eventually replace the GT with a Hybrid which will suit her riding more?

More worried about availability of parts/tires etc in the long run.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1757 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote: It comes with a 105 cassette, 11-28. Only thing is I use an 11-32 now so I may end up swapping out the cassette.
If you plan to use it in erg mode, which most do, then you won't be shifting much (if at all) and don't need to swap the cassette.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)