Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2020 3:21 pm
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 1, 2003
20902 posts
3365 upvotes
YUL
WorldIRC wrote: It comes with a 105 cassette, 11-28. Only thing is I use an 11-32 now so I may end up swapping out the cassette.

Also, MEC. They had 20 last night. Looks like they're sold out now!
Question....my bike should be compatible as I have a Shimano 105 system, but my bike has disk brakes. Will that get in the way of mounting the bike to the Suito?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13115 posts
7191 upvotes
Toronto
najibs wrote: Question....my bike should be compatible as I have a Shimano 105 system, but my bike has disk brakes. Will that get in the way of mounting the bike to the Suito?
no problem, it's compatible with TA and disc brakes
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3578 posts
1383 upvotes
Mississauga
najibs wrote: Question....my bike should be compatible as I have a Shimano 105 system, but my bike has disk brakes. Will that get in the way of mounting the bike to the Suito?
You will simply have no way to brake since there is no brake surface. Also, try not to squeeze the brake lever with the rotor. You might have problems re-installing the wheel later on.
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
10216 posts
2754 upvotes
Newmarket
cRaZyRaVr wrote: You will simply have no way to brake since there is no brake surface. Also, try not to squeeze the brake lever with the rotor. You might have problems re-installing the wheel later on.
Ya I should probably pick up those things you can put inside the calipers to prevent anything from happening.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 1, 2003
20902 posts
3365 upvotes
YUL
WorldIRC wrote: Ya I should probably pick up those things you can put inside the calipers to prevent anything from happening.
I'll need some too. What are these things called and where can I get them?
BTW, MEC had like 26 of the Elite Suito when I looked last night. When I checked again this morning they had about 15, but they seem to be re-stocking daily. I guess they're selling quite a few since the price seems to be $100 less than anywhere else in Canada.
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
10216 posts
2754 upvotes
Newmarket
najibs wrote: I'll need some too. What are these things called and where can I get them?
BTW, MEC had like 26 of the Elite Suito when I looked last night. When I checked again this morning they had about 15, but they seem to be re-stocking daily. I guess they're selling quite a few since the price seems to be $100 less than anywhere else in Canada.
Yup, when I ordered, they had ~20. Sold out overnight. Then I saw they restocked. And yes, $100 less than anywhere else!

I'm not sure what those pieces are called.
RFD Forums Moderator
Member
Jan 2, 2010
449 posts
154 upvotes
Brake pad spacer I believe. A coin would do just fine most of the time.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 6, 2005
1757 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
If you accidentally squeeze the lever without anything between the pads, they will get stuck together. They can be pushed back with a large flathead screwdriver or similar, being careful not to gouge the pad surface.

As mentioned, a coin or two lightly wedged between the pads works well as a spacer.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3578 posts
1383 upvotes
Mississauga
WorldIRC wrote: Ya I should probably pick up those things you can put inside the calipers to prevent anything from happening.
Stick a 10c coin there and tape it off. That does the trick, depending on thick your rotors are. You might have to adjust with a 0.25c :) baller.
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
10216 posts
2754 upvotes
Newmarket
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Stick a 10c coin there and tape it off. That does the trick, depending on thick your rotors are. You might have to adjust with a 0.25c :) baller.
Tape!? On my beautiful Ultegra!? What baller would do that!?
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13115 posts
7191 upvotes
Toronto
a folded piece of paper or cardboard works too.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 1, 2003
20902 posts
3365 upvotes
YUL
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Stick a 10c coin there and tape it off. That does the trick, depending on thick your rotors are. You might have to adjust with a 0.25c :) baller.
I'm going to cut up my American Express Platinum metal credit card (since I cancelled the account) and use that as a spacer. How's that for baller status? :lol:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 26, 2003
1213 posts
193 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: I knew Jim Miele when I was a kid. He'd hate knowing that his name was being used on Carbon bikes from China.
Meh. Company went bankrupt, would think he'd be happy his name is still on bikes at all. Besides, he'd be happy that a bike with his name on it brought someone into the sport, whether it comes from China or not - that's the important part in terms of legacy, in my opinion anyway.
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
10216 posts
2754 upvotes
Newmarket
camzie wrote: Meh. Company went bankrupt, would think he'd be happy his name is still on bikes at all. Besides, he'd be happy that a bike with his name on it brought someone into the sport, whether it comes from China or not - that's the important part in terms of legacy, in my opinion anyway.
He was pretty "against Taiwan" when I knew him. He blamed Asia for the demise of his company. Reality is, it costs a lot more money to build a bike in Canada.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3578 posts
1383 upvotes
Mississauga
najibs wrote: I'm going to cut up my American Express Platinum metal credit card (since I cancelled the account) and use that as a spacer. How's that for baller status? :lol:
A baller would buy the bike and the trainer on the card, cut the card up and use as the spacer, then post how he is paying off his bike and the trainer over 24mths cause... life.

Top