RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 4:49 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3571 posts
1374 upvotes
Mississauga
Izzoshady wrote: Can I get some feedback on this frame - https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/bike ... =black_red

Is this a good frame for $1369? My purpose again is for indoor only at the moment via a smart trainer but to take it out next summer and beyond as the weather gets nice again.

Thanks,
What suits me might not suit you. You have to understand bike geometry and have some experience.
Also, stuff like this should never be purchased based on price, and I have a feeling this is the reason why you are looking at this.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
2218 posts
92 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: What suits me might not suit you. You have to understand bike geometry and have some experience.
Also, stuff like this should never be purchased based on price, and I have a feeling this is the reason why you are looking at this.
Yes the price caught my eye. Good callout!

I figured going for the Frame + Smart Trainer is the better route is my primary use case at the moment is Indoor Cycling only via Zwift
Jan 2, 2010
447 posts
154 upvotes
Izzoshady wrote: Yes the price caught my eye. Good callout!

I figured going for the Frame + Smart Trainer is the better route is my primary use case at the moment is Indoor Cycling only via Zwift
Don't quite understand the thought process. You do realize you need more than a frame to ride on trainer right? Even if you only ride it on trainers, the only component you can skip is the wheels. And most of the time, a complete bike is cheaper than buying new components separately. And on top of that, if you just want to ride on trainer, a 1000 dollar bike would be more than enough.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3571 posts
1374 upvotes
Mississauga
sparklo wrote: Don't quite understand the thought process. You do realize you need more than a frame to ride on trainer right? Even if you only ride it on trainers, the only component you can skip is the wheels. And most of the time, a complete bike is cheaper than buying new components separately. And on top of that, if you just want to ride on trainer, a 1000 dollar bike would be more than enough.
Exactly what I told him before, but as you see he is set on doing this cause the price for the frame is right, at the moment... I dont get it.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1035 posts
373 upvotes
Izzoshady wrote: Can I get some feedback on this frame - https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/bike ... =black_red

Is this a good frame for $1369? My purpose again is for indoor only at the moment via a smart trainer but to take it out next summer and beyond as the weather gets nice again.

Thanks,
It's the MY before the current one. For that price it's a no brainer.

I wouldnt fuss with geometry hubaloo atm. Just get the right size and enjoy riding your bike. Ive influenced someone in this pandemic to get a bike without nerding out on shiet he wont care about.

Only thing you want to know atm is this thing can get very expensive, so watch that wallet.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
2010 posts
59 upvotes
Are most people buying their GP 5000 tires online? Pro Bike Kit seems to have the best price for a pair. I checked a couple of GTA shops and most have them at $99 - Racer Sportif has them for $67. I'm looking to replace my set but am not in a super rush as I'll probably be indoors in about a month or so. TIA :)
Mar 8, 2004
581 posts
148 upvotes
bunnyfoo wrote: Are most people buying their GP 5000 tires online? Pro Bike Kit seems to have the best price for a pair. I checked a couple of GTA shops and most have them at $99 - Racer Sportif has them for $67. I'm looking to replace my set but am not in a super rush as I'll probably be indoors in about a month or so. TIA :)
Is that $99 per tire in GTA? Yes I’m looking at both probikeit and CRC. All others are roughly double the price even consisting customs and duty.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4600 posts
2001 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I have a Cannondale Super V frame (early 2000s, I think) that I want to use again (actually has very low usage). The rear shock (air oil) has leaked and seems non-repairable. Where is the best place to get a replacement shock at a good price, and how does one measure up shocks or are they standard?

One of the wheels (front) was also broken in storage and moving. Flange broken so non-repairable. Any idea where to get a decent quality new front wheel at a good price?

Used to buy my stuff at Bike NashBar and later Performance in the U.S. decades ago. Last bike parts order was in '00.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
2010 posts
59 upvotes
Gabriella wrote: Is that $99 per tire in GTA? Yes I’m looking at both probikeit and CRC. All others are roughly double the price even consisting customs and duty.
I checked The 11 and Gears and both were $99/tire. Racer Sportif seemed to be the best but it's still 30% more than PBK. I know in the past, a lot of the shops would have specials on the GPII 4000 tires at the Fall bike show for $100 for a set but I don't think the show is happening this year with COVID. I found a cut in my sidewall the other day so I'm just using a replacement tire for the time being. I have a discount code for PBK but not sure if Black Friday prices go much lower.

Nice Miele bike btw! I have one in my basement from ages ago - it's a MTB I think. Your pic makes me want to fix mine up :)
Sep 27, 2003
10213 posts
2753 upvotes
Newmarket
bunnyfoo wrote: Are most people buying their GP 5000 tires online? Pro Bike Kit seems to have the best price for a pair. I checked a couple of GTA shops and most have them at $99 - Racer Sportif has them for $67. I'm looking to replace my set but am not in a super rush as I'll probably be indoors in about a month or so. TIA :)
While I am a RS client, my LBS has matched them a couple of times when I needed GP 5000s. You are correct though, they are cheaper online.

I have a 700x32 GP5000TL set for sale, if you're looking to go Tubeless ;)
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
10213 posts
2753 upvotes
Newmarket
Gabriella wrote: Yes. Any other Miele owners?

What a beaut! SL or SLX tubing?
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
2010 posts
59 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: While I am a RS client, my LBS has matched them a couple of times when I needed GP 5000s. You are correct though, they are cheaper online.

I have a 700x32 GP5000TL set for sale, if you're looking to go Tubeless ;)
I have a TL wheelset actually but have no idea how to change a flat so I've actually never used them LOL Even then, my road bike has rim brakes so I don't think 32s would fit my bike unfortunately :( I'm thinking converting them because I don't want to deal with the sealant and all that.

Good idea with the PM - I'm anticipating a no but it never hurts to ask. I'm wanting to get a gravel bike next season so I'm just trying to be more careful with my spending :)
Mar 8, 2004
581 posts
148 upvotes
bunnyfoo wrote:
Nice Miele bike btw! I have one in my basement from ages ago - it's a MTB I think. Your pic makes me want to fix mine up :)
Thank you. It’s been with my husband since the late 80s.