• Jul 7th, 2020 9:46 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13074 posts
8319 upvotes
Markham

Is this RFD new feature

A lot time when I respond to a post, after I clicked post button, it gave me a message that there is a latest post that I might want to review before i post mine.

Is this new feature or i just found out?

I found this feature very annoying and inconvenient, especially for those very active post such as capital one thread, could I disable it?

@TomRFD

Thanks
10 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24251 posts
12277 upvotes
Toronto
A mod will have to comment but I think that feature was added to old or dead threads. Maybe you were bumping up a thread that's old?
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13074 posts
8319 upvotes
Markham
DaVibe wrote: A mod will have to comment but I think that feature was added to old or dead threads. Maybe you were bumping up a thread that's old?
No, this happened in capital one aspire travel card thread

But when you said old, if you meant thread created date, then yes, it's pretty old( it was created in 2010)
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24251 posts
12277 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: No, this happened in capital one aspire travel card thread

But when you said old, if you meant thread created date, then yes, it's pretty old( it was created in 2010)
Yes, so the card is likely retired or the thread is no longer used because we aren't talking about that card anymore. Speculating but, that's when I see that message (on old threads).
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16853 posts
32979 upvotes
Scarborough
I've never seen this myself, but I do know some forums have a feature that works like this.

Can you post a screenshot the next time you see it pop up, @smartie?
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22895 posts
21742 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Have also seen it on occasion
(Although I don’t recall which Forum )

It is indeed highly annoying

It basically presents the idea ...

Since you began writing your reply
These other replies have been posted
And then shows them / snippets of them (cannot recall which)

And then basically wants to know if you want to continue with your reply
Or not

I guess assuming that perhaps someone else in the interim has covered what you were going to say

Ya no ...
If I didn’t want to share input ... well I never would have clicked on REPLY to begin with

I just have been ignoring this feature
But I certainly don’t like it

And I think it sends the wrong message
Esp to newbies
As it’s not very welcoming
Saying ... hey ... let’s forego your input ... cuz someone else has maybe said the same thing already

I just don’t see RFD Forums working like that

There are lots of people, who come here to the RFD Forums cuz they like the social interaction / banter
Visible by all those that post regularly in the RFD Community
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3537 upvotes
Burnaby
smartie wrote: A lot time when I respond to a post, after I clicked post button, it gave me a message that there is a latest post that I might want to review before i post mine.

Is this new feature or i just found out?

I found this feature very annoying and inconvenient, especially for those very active post such as capital one thread, could I disable it?

@TomRFD

Thanks
TomRFD wrote: I've never seen this myself, but I do know some forums have a feature that works like this.

Can you post a screenshot the next time you see it pop up, @smartie?
I'm not sure if I understood [OP] right.

What I've witnessed many times is a similar prompt that treats the click on the post button as a sort of preview and displays a prompt warning about new posts on the thread. A second click on the post button commit the reply. It happens when you are replying to a post in the thread and you take your time so by the time you click on post the thread has several new replies.

@TomRFD can easily recreate this situation: create a hidden thread, reply to a post on such hidden thread, keep the window for editing a reply to post open as if typing a long post, ask staff/mods to reply (post messages) to such thread during this waiting/editing time [the RFD servers do not update threads immediately, there might be a little delay], now that there are new posts in the thread click on post for the message you were "editing/typing" and see what happens. I'm not sure whether this behavior happens only when you are replying to the last post (at the time you click reply to post with quote) or with a reply to any post on the thread.

In any case it's just a warning prompt. Nothing to fret about. It does make sense, IMO.

Incompetent workers (and criminals) cover each other's "lower back"
Keywords: doxxers, moles, security breaches, cs*s,
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16853 posts
32979 upvotes
Scarborough
I just checked a large amount of forums and the setting for that "review page" is off.

To anyone regularly experiencing this, can you post which forum(s) you remember it happening in, and whether or not it's always been this way, or if it's more of a recent thing?

I need to figure out if it's always been broken, or just recently broke.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13074 posts
8319 upvotes
Markham
@TomRFD :I just did as @aviador said and here is snapshot
What i did is write a reply message and wait 10 minutes to click "post" button
You can say there was a post at 5:24 and I tried to post at 5:32

Is this setting a thread level or sub forum level or both?
Images
  • 28530C83-E81A-4365-903C-BB11718F8F58.png
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26730 posts
5864 upvotes
I've seen this a couple times but not recently. Unfortunately I can't recall which forum it was
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3537 upvotes
Burnaby
I noticed this feature in the last one or two years. But it may predate such time. It's just that in the last 2 years I have been posting lengthier replies that I interrupt editing/writing to tend to other things (my bad: poor multitasking skills and RFD has the lowest priority). I have noticed mainly in Hot Deals and in Off Topic, but it may be happening in many other forums/subforums, just that HD and OT are probably the ones with the most dynamic threads.

Random things found on the net:

It seems that the setting "page review" might actually be called "post review" and if that's the case it's a setting per forum/subforum. I came accross a command that may (or may not) disable it on all forums (no warranty expressed or implied). Such command may have wider effects. In any case, refer to the appropriate manual.

Code: Select all

UPDATE `phpbb_forums` SET `forum_flags` = '0'
If that doesn't work, delegate the manual turning off of such setting in each forum/subforum/instance-of-command to an intern.

Just saying.

Incompetent workers (and criminals) cover each other's "lower back"
Keywords: doxxers, moles, security breaches, cs*s,

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)