Automotive

RFD Official Detailing Thread - Post all Detailing/Paint Related Questions here!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2022 10:14 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20926 posts
5489 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
picus wrote: What you're looking for is isopropyl alcohol, or good old fashioned rubbing alcohol; the kind mom used to use on cuts. Any drug store will have it, 71% and 90%, either is fine.
99% Isopropyl Alcohol is available at No Frills, Shoppers Drug Mart, Loblaws, even Dollarama!
- casual gastronomist -
Aug 4, 2006
846 posts
23 upvotes
Hi guys.. I recently picked Meguiar's quick wax, and it's amazing.

I've always used Meguiar's detail spray so I was wondering.. what's the difference between the quick wax and the detailer?

If it makes a difference, I'm using these products on a SILVER car
(:
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32046 posts
13558 upvotes
picus wrote: For your tires you can use almost any all purpose cleaner, but I like to stick to the same ones I use on wheel wells/engines in the interest of time and general safety, so someone like Automotive Simple Green (you can cut it up to 10:1) or Poorboys APC, any Megs APC or if you have very dirty tires something like Bleche White.
Thanks for the tips guys. I will try to get some APC and 303. Problem with me and tyres getting brown is where I live :( New subdivision and it's filled with construction dirt and dust. So the tyres really get brown very quickly with all that crap. I go less than 20km/h until I get out on the main road too, to prevent crap flying up and to try to keep things clean.

Construction dirt is so bad that I can wash my car, leave it in the closed garage and there will be a thin layer of dirt on it within a day or two even if I don't even move the car--yeah it gets in the garage :(

Of course every other clown in the neighbourhood flies around the streets leaving huge dust storms in their wake which makes things even worse. Then they get all pissed off when they get stuck behind me doing 15 for a few hundred metres to get to my house. Of course these same retards won't even go 10 over the speed limit when they get on the regular road :rolleyes: They can't spend an extra minute inside the subdivision to drive around but they can drive like they are sick on the regular roads--losers!

It's amazing how people care so little for their cars around here. A lot of cars here are more expensive than my car, but the owners they don't even park them in their garages :rolleyes: Anyway yeah I'm done that rant, LOL.

Again thanks for the tips, I'll "be back" again to ask for more later ;)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5108 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Thanks for the tips guys. I will try to get some APC and 303. Problem with me and tyres getting brown is where I live :( New subdivision and it's filled with construction dirt and dust. So the tyres really get brown very quickly with all that crap. I go less than 20km/h until I get out on the main road too, to prevent crap flying up and to try to keep things clean.

Construction dirt is so bad that I can wash my car, leave it in the closed garage and there will be a thin layer of dirt on it within a day or two even if I don't even move the car--yeah it gets in the garage :(

Of course every other clown in the neighbourhood flies around the streets leaving huge dust storms in their wake which makes things even worse. Then they get all pissed off when they get stuck behind me doing 15 for a few hundred metres to get to my house. Of course these same retards won't even go 10 over the speed limit when they get on the regular road :rolleyes: They can't spend an extra minute inside the subdivision to drive around but they can drive like they are sick on the regular roads--losers!

It's amazing how people care so little for their cars around here. A lot of cars here are more expensive than my car, but the owners they don't even park them in their garages :rolleyes: Anyway yeah I'm done that rant, LOL.

Again thanks for the tips, I'll "be back" again to ask for more later ;)
I once saw a Jaguar XKR (later found out he lived down my street) washing his car at the local bay wash and using one of those stiff brushes on his body panels...

The best was I remember my friend and I were going to take pictures of our cars. His car was all dirty and he was like "don't worry" and pulled out a quick detailer from his trunk and a MF Towel and went to work cleaning probably 2 week worth of dirt and crud off with his one MF towel and his quick detailer. I tried to inform him about the uses of QD but he reassured me that Automagic QD won't marr paint. After he was done he was really happy with the "shine" left but I couldn't admire anything else besides all the marring he induced beyond correction into his paint job...
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1556 posts
771 upvotes
Toronto
So after a week of following Asad_A203's Klasse and P21S instructions, here are the final results. Needless to say, the results exceeded my expectations by far.

I thought I like to ask as well, now that I've done 4 layers of KSG and 3 layers of P21S Concours, what will my regular maintenance be like in the future? Do I wax every month after this (without KIAO)? And every 6 months, I would clay bar, KAIO, KSG x4, and P21S x 3?

Anyways, here are some pics to show you how shiny it is!

[IMG]http://www.juicypixels.com/1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.juicypixels.com/2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.juicypixels.com/3.jpg[/IMG]
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5108 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
Great job man! I am loving it. I can't wait to see how that car looks in 4 years (it will look mint).

You can clay every 6 months and do that all over again; but honestly that might be a bit over kill. I would do it once a year; probably right after winter.

I have been just putting a layer of P21S Concours on my car every month or so to keep it in top shape. I haven't touched KAIO now for ~2 months and my car is still in tip top shape.

Pretty funny because I was out cruising last night and we parked over at a gas station and everyone was just "wow; your car is so mint!". Then all of them were examining the paint on my car trying to find a swirl (they didn't); haha. Silver definately looks awseome at night time:

[IMG]http://imusion.net/asad/Nissan%20Meet%2 ... _2046s.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imusion.net/asad/Nissan%20Meet%2 ... _2049s.jpg[/IMG]
Aug 7, 2005
934 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
Asad_A203 wrote: Sure seems like it :cheesygri . Are those Sevas wheels on a G35C? Look nice (just watch out for the pot holes).
Thanks man.

No, they're Sevas S-22's and yes, a g35c. As for the potholes, i've been pretty lucky avoiding them, I tend to wait several weeks into spring to put on the 20's just enough time for them to be filled.

This is a better shot of the rims after a applying poorboys ssr 2.5 then 2.0 then p21s and then kaio

[IMG]http://divinemethod.zenfolio.com/img/v0 ... 3104-4.jpg[/IMG]

Whats your handle on driver? (I have the same plate cover :) ) I'm ricebrnr on there.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5108 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
ReFuGeE wrote:
Whats your handle on driver? (I have the same plate cover :) ) I'm ricebrnr on there.

I use the same one as on here; I did use to use another one before I bought the car but I forgot that username. I now regret not getting a new set of wheels for my ride this summer (I was but I was set on selling my car) and it is already over here in Winnipeg :( .
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
6164 posts
721 upvotes
Vancouver
jtcb wrote: I don't know if this is related to detailing. I'll ask anyway. I want to add some OEM chrome part to the body (chome foglight surround) of the car. It is located close to the ground that is subject to wetting when rain. Is the supplied 3M double-sized tape secure enough for the job? I know BMW uses some sort of adhesion promoter in addition to 3M tape for sticking trunk spoiler, lower lip spoiler. What can be used in addition to the tape? Will it damage paint?
Someone in another forum suggests me using sealant in addition to the 3M tape for a more secure fitment and won't fall off. You know those that use to seal the gap between bathtub and tile. Do you think it is a good idea? Will it work on plastic/fibreglass bumper?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... 00a653cad7

[IMG]http://a116.g.akamai.net/7/116/8068/inf ... 888761.jpg[/IMG]
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5108 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
^^ Honestly I am not 100% on that. 3M tape is pretty much good for holding the part on but I can see it being an issue if water does get between the chrome and the body panel.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
1387 posts
3 upvotes
hophaiho wrote: I can't seem to find denaturated alcohol anywhere. I checked Canadian Tire and Home Depot and they did not sell it. I googled it and found that they don't sell it in Canada but there is something similar called "Methyl Hydrate". Can I use that instead? I'm worried because I don't want to ruin my paint obviously.

Otherwise, where exactly can I get denaturated alcohol in the GTA?

Much appreciated.
Ethanol/Methanol mix, so what you can buy for cheap is "Fondue" stove alcohol.

Here's a good mix you can do yourself to clean windows (works great on eyeglasses too).

In a 700-750mL empty spray bottle (like an old "Windex" bottle):

50mL of denaturated alcohol
1 small drop of dish soap (I said small drop...very small)
Fill with water (distillated water is better but not an obligation as long as your water isn't too "hard")
DaVillen wrote: What makes that the best deal is the size (Unit Dimensions (WxHxD)
21.1" x 19.1" x 7.0"). You won't find a 19" LCD with a 21.1" width, most 19" LCD widescreens are about 16" to 18". The size is more comparable to a 23" LCD.
*HEATWARE*
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
1387 posts
3 upvotes
picus wrote: What you're looking for is isopropyl alcohol, or good old fashioned rubbing alcohol; the kind mom used to use on cuts. Any drug store will have it, 71% and 90%, either is fine.
Denaturated alcohol isn't Isopropyl.

Like someone else said, it's drinkable alcohol (Ethanol) which has been rendered undrinkable by adding some % of toxic alcohol/solvent in the mix (typically Methanol)

But rubbing alcohol CAN be made of Ethyl alcohol + denaturants (so, denaturated alcohol), rubbing alcohol being a common non-specific term, not a chemical term.

And I found that denaturated is way better than Isopropyl as a solvent to "cut" the oil/grease/wax stuff.

My 2 cents.
DaVillen wrote: What makes that the best deal is the size (Unit Dimensions (WxHxD)
21.1" x 19.1" x 7.0"). You won't find a 19" LCD with a 21.1" width, most 19" LCD widescreens are about 16" to 18". The size is more comparable to a 23" LCD.
*HEATWARE*
Jul 21, 2007
981 posts
569 upvotes
For those of you that apply Scotchguard, how do you do it?

I tried using the all-purpose stuff, and it looked so bad that I ended up trying to wipe some of it off with a damp cloth. I could tell where on the seats I sprayed because there were spots where the cloth was darker. Also, it was a hassle because it got on my seat buckles, doors, center console, etc. and I had to follow up on where it got so I could wipe it off.

Does anyone know why these spots didn't dry properly? Also, I don't think water is beading off the areas where I applied the SG; I'm pretty sure I did a good coat, but my can is still heavy (not even close to being empty).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2008
1886 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Does anybody know who in TO sells Lexol?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)