Automotive

RFD Official Detailing Thread - Post all Detailing/Paint Related Questions here!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2022 4:56 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2006
2153 posts
241 upvotes
Thornhill
bryansbestwax wrote: Clearbra then opticoat on top. You might as well get the UV protection for the clear bra, and it makes it a bit easier to clean
Thanks! What's this UV protection?
Feb 23, 2013
499 posts
50 upvotes
NORTH YORK
[quote="bryansbestwax" post_id="16462329" time="1362667098" user_id="285385"]I would try meguiars ultimate compound followed by the polish. Bumpers don't have a ton of paint so tread lightly.

Thanks, I will give it a try.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1388 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
For those trying to save money on shipping with eshine.

Try larry @ wisdom detail

he does local meetups across GTA and carries everything that eshine does.
kthxbye
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2027 upvotes
Toronto
import_nation wrote: For those trying to save money on shipping with eshine.

Try larry @ wisdom detail

he does local meetups across GTA and carries everything that eshine does.
Except Duragloss 105 and 501 unfortunately.

Picked up some 501 from autowerkes exclusive recently because I missed the $10.71 sale at eshine plus I wanted to get some

microfibre hand applicators which neither eshine nor wisdom detail carry.

I like that autowerkes also carries the Jeff Werkstatt products which eshine doesn't.

http://autowerkesexclusivestore.ca/

Shipping was a killer from out West to Toronto though.

I really like wisdom details variety and prices when you consider the pick up option.

A bit weak on hand applicator selection though.

I also like that Larry is willing to sell you samples to try out.

Been meaning to pick some stuff up from him and will soon.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1388 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not sure. I've gotten stuff from Larry that he doesn't even carry. I just special order it. Didn't know about the Duragloss. I swear I've picked up Duragloss car wash from him before. I've went to Ken when I use to live in Vancouver. I don't live in Vancouver anymore so I go to Larry now. :)
kthxbye
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
xesk4x wrote: Anyone from Montreal that would be interested for an eshine order eventually? :)
PS never knew that there is a detailing thread on rfd :O
what you ordering?
Selling a new never installed or used Edelbrock turbo kit #1500, but lowballers and buyers offering ridiculous 500 bucks for it.http://forums.redflagdeals.com/new-edel ... s-1151134/So now it is installed and in my civic :)
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2006
2153 posts
241 upvotes
Thornhill
If I'm getting clear bra installed on my car, driving highway, what's the main areas that are a must to cover? Trying to not to go over $1k for clear bra.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1487 posts
146 upvotes
Ontario
Hey Gents!

My plan this spring is to detail both family vehicles. Both are 4yrs old. Here is my plan as both has some light swirling.
Wash, clay, wash, Megs Ultimate compound, Ultimate polish, sealant/wax.

Two questions, I have a porter cable, which pads should I get? Can I get them local, or do I have to order online?
What do you recommend for a sealant or wax? Which pad should I use for that?

Thanks!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1388 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
If you are in Toronto you can get them from Larry @ wisdom detail. he can meet around the GTA.

Depending on what car it is and how bad the paint is I'd go for a white/orange/yellow for the ultimate compound and a white/black/green pad for the polish.

Personally I'd just use yellow for the ultimate compound and white for polish. The porter is so weak that the yellow with ultimate compound won't even be that strong of a combo.

For liquid sealant or wax I'd use a black/red pad. I'd personally use regular hard wax and just apply with an applicator.

All my pad references are to the LC pads.
kthxbye
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17701 posts
8425 upvotes
Myv wrote: If I'm getting clear bra installed on my car, driving highway, what's the main areas that are a must to cover? Trying to not to go over $1k for clear bra.
I typically see bumper, hood (a section of it), fenders (section of it) and mirrors covered. Some people seem to cover lights as well.

If you have the time take a look at a couple older cars of your model at a dealer (if the body style is the same) and you should see a pattern of where rock chips appear. You'll know then where to cover to get the most bang for your buck.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
3517 posts
350 upvotes
Toronto
Myv wrote: If I'm getting clear bra installed on my car, driving highway, what's the main areas that are a must to cover? Trying to not to go over $1k for clear bra.
full hood

full bumper

mirrors

full front fenders

mud guard areas on all 4 corners
Smoothie wrote: Two questions, I have a porter cable, which pads should I get? Can I get them local, or do I have to order online?
What do you recommend for a sealant or wax? Which pad should I use for that?

Thanks!!!
depending on the weight you have installed, you could go either 5.5" or 6.5" pad. i recommend 5.5"

you can get them online or local in store.

recommendations can be all over the place for "sealant or wax", totally up to you. buying online or local? use either black, red, or gold pad to apply.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1487 posts
146 upvotes
Ontario
I would like to buy local, I'm in Ottawa. Any recommendations at to where?
Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
5360 posts
995 upvotes
Will be investing in a foam lance and some snow foam. Just wondering how much dilution is needed for the snow foam? and how much should i be using to wash 1 car?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
3517 posts
350 upvotes
Toronto
azncapcom wrote: Will be investing in a foam lance and some snow foam. Just wondering how much dilution is needed for the snow foam? and how much should i be using to wash 1 car?
for a 32oz foam cannon...3-4oz soap and then top off with water.

maybe 1/3 to 1/2 bottle on 1 car.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
5360 posts
995 upvotes
boredstudent3 wrote: for a 32oz foam cannon...3-4oz soap and then top off with water.

maybe 1/3 to 1/2 bottle on 1 car.
Thanks Alex.

Im still debating whether or not to invest in a Polisher to get rid of all my swirls or maybe just have you get it done and I can try to maintain it?

Don't have the extra cash at the moment to spill out, too many things came up...
Aug 8, 2006
484 posts
154 upvotes
I'm looking for an inexpensive rotary/orbital to help me with wax. I don't need anything particularly powerful for polishing as my vehicle uses scratch shield paint. Recommendations?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1388 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
phez wrote: I'm looking for an inexpensive rotary/orbital to help me with wax. I don't need anything particularly powerful for polishing as my vehicle uses scratch shield paint. Recommendations?
You want a rotary to apply wax? :|

I'd just get a used porter dual action or something..
kthxbye
May 23, 2011
755 posts
223 upvotes
Waxing is so much easier to do by hand. A dual action is good to have for polishing.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3487 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
I see no need for a polisher to put wax on. Just get an microfiber applicator from CT. If you're planning to do some paint correction then a dual action polisher would make your life a lot easier.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Wingyun