Automotive

RFD Official Detailing Thread - Post all Detailing/Paint Related Questions here!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2022 8:24 pm
Aug 8, 2010
840 posts
648 upvotes
GTA
Hi Guys,
I bought my first New Car 10 days ago.
I have never waxed a car or hand washed a car in the past. I would like to protect my car as best I can without breaking the bank.
I have done a fair bit of reading the last few days about waxing and would like some input on which product I should buy.
Since my car is new, I should be able to wash thoroughly and wax without having to clay or polish, correct?

I bought Turtle Wax® 'Zip Wax' Car Wash from CT to wash my car, Should I continue using this or should I get something different to wash?
I would ideally like to wax my car about 2-3 times a year and I hear that synthetic waxes are more durable, can youll please suggest which one is good and what I should I use to apply it.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
3228 posts
214 upvotes
vermit25 wrote: Hi Guys,
I bought my first New Car 10 days ago.
I have never waxed a car or hand washed a car in the past. I would like to protect my car as best I can without breaking the bank.
I have done a fair bit of reading the last few days about waxing and would like some input on which product I should buy.
Since my car is new, I should be able to wash thoroughly and wax without having to clay or polish, correct?

I bought Turtle Wax® 'Zip Wax' Car Wash from CT to wash my car, Should I continue using this or should I get something different to wash?
I would ideally like to wax my car about 2-3 times a year and I hear that synthetic waxes are more durable, can youll please suggest which one is good and what I should I use to apply it.

Thanks
I regret not going with OptiCoat, but make sure it fits your needs before committing. More info in this thread: opti-coat-2-a-1113729/4/?mobile_type=full
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1298 posts
421 upvotes
+1 on opticoat. Water just beads right off :)
May 30, 2005
993 posts
79 upvotes
What is a good foam cannon/pressure washer would you guys recommend?
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3487 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
boredstudent3 wrote: Gilmour Foamaster II, it's also the one listed in my sig
I didn't know Gilmour had a foam gun. Thought they just had the foam cannon for pressure washers.

Going to get me one of those foam gun. I would probably only use for stripping the LSP
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1298 posts
421 upvotes
Matryx wrote: I didn't know Gilmour had a foam gun. Thought they just had the foam cannon for pressure washers.

Going to get me one of those foam gun. I would probably only use for stripping the LSP
I have the foam gun, it's great and saves me the trouble of measuring the proper ratio for soap :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
5403 posts
1018 upvotes
is there an expiry date or shelf life for car shampoos? I bought a full gallon of Mr. Pink foam shampoo and i think it would take me a few years to use it all up.
Apr 18, 2010
578 posts
91 upvotes
Where can I buy clay (for claying my car) in Toronto?
Canadian Tire only sells a package with lubricant and cloths for $30.
I just want the bar.

I was going to detail my car this weekend but .....
Aug 8, 2010
840 posts
648 upvotes
GTA
I'm trying to figure out what products to buy...
Say I was going to wax my car with "collinite 845" every 3-4 months, could I use a product like "Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash" for in between washes and prior to waxing?
I was wondering if the wash product would strip the "collinite 845"?

Also is it ok to use "Turtle Wax® 'Zip Wax' Car Wash" (as this is something I already purchased).

Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2006
2032 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
fredf wrote: Where can I buy clay (for claying my car) in Toronto?
Canadian Tire only sells a package with lubricant and cloths for $30.
I just want the bar.

I was going to detail my car this weekend but .....
http://www.oldetownautospa.ca

http://www.eshine.ca/

http://www.rscarcare.com

http://www.wisdomdetail.ca

http://www.autobahnsalon.com/products.html

http://www.carbrite.com/products/
1575 Trinity Dr, Mississauga, 9am-10:30am
416 822-4683; [email protected]
Dave or Andrew

vermit25 wrote: I'm trying to figure out what products to buy...
Say I was going to wax my car with "collinite 845" every 3-4 months, could I use a product like "Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash" for in between washes and prior to waxing?

Also is it ok to use "Turtle Wax® 'Zip Wax' Car Wash" (as this is something I already purchased).

Thanks
Forget about using that Meguiars or Turtle wax car wash soap.
Buy some Cherry Bomb car wash ! The thing will bring out the shine of your paint like no tomorrow !

http://www.carbrite.com/products/Exteri ... Car-Soaps/

Here's a cntact for car-brite:
1575 Trinity Dr, Mississauga, (9am-10:30am pickup time)
416 822-4683; [email protected]
Dave or Andrew

Once your car is dry, use this product to enhance the shine even more !

Heres what my car looks like right after:

Not bad for 24 year old paint !
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20621 posts
6066 upvotes
GTA
Anyone in the Markham/Scarborough/North York want to share a eshine.ca order? I'm halfway to the $150 free shipping.
Feb 26, 2008
35 posts
7 upvotes
St Catharines
coriolis wrote: Anyone in the Markham/Scarborough/North York want to share a eshine.ca order? I'm halfway to the $150 free shipping.
oldetownautospa.ca will ship free at 125 and is priced better then eshine.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2006
2032 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
primo20 wrote: oldetownautospa.ca will ship free at 125 and is priced better then eshine.
eshine has store overhead, oltdtown just has a house mortgage. LOL
Feb 26, 2008
35 posts
7 upvotes
St Catharines
lol...but good prices and great customer service!
Sep 10, 2009
306 posts
22 upvotes
primo20 wrote: oldetownautospa.ca will ship free at 125 and is priced better then eshine.
Old town has awesome customer service!
Signature removed by MOD. No advertising and no external links are allowed in signatures
Sep 10, 2009
306 posts
22 upvotes
Robb wrote: Image
Great job Robb, do you work for Autobahn? That's a very clean paint job!
Signature removed by MOD. No advertising and no external links are allowed in signatures
Aug 8, 2010
840 posts
648 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the reply, I will look into this cherry bomb, but I'm looking more for a wax to protect my paint, especially in winter.
Great looking car btw.
Robb wrote:
Forget about using that Meguiars or Turtle wax car wash soap.
Buy some Cherry Bomb car wash ! The thing will bring out the shine of your paint like no tomorrow !

http://www.carbrite.com/products/Exteri ... Car-Soaps/

Once your car is dry, use this product to enhance the shine even more !

Not bad for 24 year old paint !
Aug 8, 2010
840 posts
648 upvotes
GTA
Anyone else?
vermit25 wrote: I'm trying to figure out what products to buy...

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3487 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
vermit25 wrote: Anyone else?
Meg's Gold Class Car wash or Turtle Wax will probably be fine. I think your method of washing the vehicle is more important than the type wash soap you're using. As long as you're not using Dawn soap or some type of APC the Collinite will last up to 5-6 months.

I sometimes use Optimum Car Spray Wax in between washes in the winter. Something you can do if you're worried about the wax getting stripped from washing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)