Automotive

RFD Official Detailing Thread - Post all Detailing/Paint Related Questions here!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2022 9:49 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
6164 posts
721 upvotes
Vancouver
Asad_A203 wrote: Online would be the best bet. You might have luck at Part Source but online it can be found relatively easily.

That is some heavy chrome; is that for a foglamp chrome thing? I would definately invest in some heavier duty 3M double sided tape; but it should hold up.
I feels heavy but it is plastic. The supplied 3M tape is on the edge and form the shape of the chrome. I don't think it is secure enough. I am planning add four .5 inch tape to the flat area around the inside of the chrome.
Jul 19, 2006
108 posts
Asad_A203 wrote: Just a word of advice; never let 800 grit sandpaper touch paint. It can strip paint in 3-4 passes. The most aggressive you should go on a painted surface for scratches is 1500; most advocate 2000. 800 might even be a bit harsh when you strip the damaged area in preparation for a touch up.

Only way to really fix plastic/vinyl scratches is by heating the plastic to the point it becomes mouldable and filling in the scratch. Definately something most people would not like to be doing. Magic Eraser mostly just strips the top layer so I would probably not use that on plastic/vinyl surfaces as it can ruin the finish.
800 grit can be useful when block sanding the entire car, but aside from that you can usually achieve scratch/chip repairs with a much higher grit, as you suggested. I normally don't start with anything less than 2000. 2000 grit will remove a micron of paint in a single pass with a little pressure, so it's usually more than enough for scratch repair.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8230 posts
886 upvotes
Brampton
okay so what Is the best products to buy with a $100~ budget and want to buy locally(CT/walmart etc.)

Also whats a good item to get rid of the goo from a sticker.
May 3, 2006
921 posts
4 upvotes
Markham
Badman wrote: Also whats a good item to get rid of the goo from a sticker.
"Goo gone", won't harm the paint also. I saw CT sells it.
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Intel Core i5 3570K
2 x 8GB Patriot Intel Extreme Masters PC3-12800
Intel 335 series 240GB SSD, 3 x Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA3
Jul 21, 2007
981 posts
569 upvotes
I've already done some searching, but haven't quite found the answers I'm looking for.

What do you suggest for getting out scratches from chrome trim around the front bumper?

Also, what is the process for polishing out (with ScratchX or some other polish) etching left from bird droppings and scratches that only go the clear? If a car already has some wax, do you need to clay these areas first? Then after polishing, do you have to wait a day to wax over these spots?

Thanks in advance.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
963 upvotes
Asad_A203 wrote: Aerospace 303 is probably one of the better dash cleaners but if you don't like that you can give some of these a try (I haven't used much of these as I am liking the results from my cleaners right now):

Lexol Vinylex
Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer (I use this; good for a quick detail)
Poorboy's Trim Restorer
Klasse VLR

I haven't heard of any Mothers product but I personally don't buy Mothers products unless OTC.
Thank you for the reply and recommendations, I appreciate it.

I have the "QuickDetailer" I use it on my stero and surrounding buttons since its pretty light, but for the entire dash I find it kind of weak.
What does it mean "quik detailer" - I just spray it on, wait then rub it off, the same as I use a regular product.
I do my car every 3 days or so, so its always pretty clean.

I will try the Poorboys from Eshine then the other products - Thanks again !
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5108 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
silverjelly wrote: I've already done some searching, but haven't quite found the answers I'm looking for.

What do you suggest for getting out scratches from chrome trim around the front bumper?

Also, what is the process for polishing out (with ScratchX or some other polish) etching left from bird droppings and scratches that only go the clear? If a car already has some wax, do you need to clay these areas first? Then after polishing, do you have to wait a day to wax over these spots?

Thanks in advance.
Chrome is pretty durable metal. I don't think you will be able to get that chrome restored; you can try using steel wool #000 and #0000 and give that a try. It mostly just removes oxidation on chrome; not really any scratches. I have wetsanded my exhaust tips before; I posted a DIY on G35 Driver (excuse the crappy old camera pics), although they are stainless steel and not chrome:
Posting this up in case anyone had dirty, dirty exhaust pipes like mine when even a Scoth Brite Pad was not cutting it. I took pics of my right pipe polished to give you guys an idea

Process:
Scotch Brite Pad filled with a Metal Polish
Wet Sand 600 grit (for inner pipe)
Wet Sand 1000 grit
Wet Sand 1500 Grit
Wet Sand 2000 Grit
Nevr-Dull Metal Polish (For Mirror shine use a Powerball with some metal polish on it)

[IMG]http://imusion.net/asad/pics/wh2.jpg[/IMG]
Before Picture ^^ - Completely covered with Sud; the one on the right even looks shiner

After pictures - after wetsanding and Nevr-Dull Polish
[IMG]http://imusion.net/asad/Exhaust/final.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://imusion.net/asad/Exhaust/final2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://imusion.net/asad/Exhaust/final3.jpg[/IMG]
^ Some water marks since I wasn't finish wetsanding yet
[IMG]http://imusion.net/asad/Exhaust/other.jpg[/IMG]
^^ The other tail pipe close up which looked shiny in the original picture

Hope this helps someone.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5108 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
JohnB wrote: Thank you for the reply and recommendations, I appreciate it.

I have the "QuickDetailer" I use it on my stero and surrounding buttons since its pretty light, but for the entire dash I find it kind of weak.
What does it mean "quik detailer" - I just spray it on, wait then rub it off, the same as I use a regular product.
I do my car every 3 days or so, so its always pretty clean.

I will try the Poorboys from Eshine then the other products - Thanks again !

It actually just means that it can't be used for heavy cleaning and is meant to be used in between proper details. Although my interior is rarely that dirty so it is fine for me. It is a bit weak; but I guess I haven't noticed too badly; haha.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
1542 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
out of stock for Optimum No Rinse @ eshine.ca. Any alternative for this product? What's the full name for the quick detailer that was used when applying clay bar/K AIO/KG? And finally, how do you apply multiple layer of sealant? I mean do you have to wash it every time when applying sealant? After all you do have to leave it outside for 24hours be4 next application right? Am I correct in following this process? ...sealant -> 24hr -> sealant -> 24hr -> sealant -> wax ?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1557 posts
771 upvotes
Toronto
hOrnizuka wrote: out of stock for Optimum No Rinse @ eshine.ca. Any alternative for this product? What's the full name for the quick detailer that was used when applying clay bar/K AIO/KG? And finally, how do you apply multiple layer of sealant? I mean do you have to wash it every time when applying sealant? After all you do have to leave it outside for 24hours be4 next application right? Am I correct in following this process? ...sealant -> 24hr -> sealant -> 24hr -> sealant -> wax ?
You can simply use any type of quick detailer for the job. Generally speaking, if you have driven your car or that it rain, you should wash your car before applying another layer. If you didn't do either, you can just use a good duster to clean the dust and use quick detailer to wipe clean. Your steps are correct, you simply wait 24 hrs for it to bond before applying another layer. I just did this recently and I can tell you its going to be hard work!
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
1542 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
how many times can you reuse these applicators?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5108 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
hOrnizuka wrote: how many times can you reuse these applicators?
Hard to say. Is this a MF applicator? You just need to wash it with it with distilled vinegar once it begins to get dirty or a liquid cloth detergent. MF applicators are usually good up until they can't absorb water anymore.

For a foam applicator; they are pretty sturdy and you can continue to use it (same cleaning instructions as MF when they get caked with stuff) until they literally start breaking down. You can usually visually see this.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
1542 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
Hi Thanks for the reply! I was talking about Applicator Yellow Foam Sealant/Carnauba and Applicator Blue Foam Polishing that i can buy from eshine.ca.

One question, their Optimum No Rinse is out of stock right now is there any good alternative? Should I just go CT and buy the Meguiar Gold Class?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5108 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
hOrnizuka wrote: Hi Thanks for the reply! I was talking about Applicator Yellow Foam Sealant/Carnauba and Applicator Blue Foam Polishing that i can buy from eshine.ca.

One question, their Optimum No Rinse is out of stock right now is there any good alternative? Should I just go CT and buy the Meguiar Gold Class?
Those applicator pads will last quite a while; I would not be too concerned about those until after a couple of details.

You can pick up Meguiars Gold Class instead of ONR; you can also use the gold class for clay lube, a quick detailer, and an excellent carwash. One thing about Gold Class is that it might strip wax; so this is why you might want to be careful when you use it as a quick detailer (since you usually have to exceed mixture ratios)

Reason I suggest ONR is that it is all of the above (not really a shampoo though) but comes especially handy in winter when it is just too cold to wash your car outside. There is also another rinseless product but the name escapes my mind right now.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2004
1914 posts
hOrnizuka wrote: Hi Thanks for the reply! I was talking about Applicator Yellow Foam Sealant/Carnauba and Applicator Blue Foam Polishing that i can buy from eshine.ca.

I emailed eShine and Chris said ONR will be restocked in a week or so (looking at next week)
Jan 6, 2006
179 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
Can anyone please recommend a good detailer for inside out with toronto or Markham?

Thanks
intls
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10511 posts
790 upvotes
Mississauga
I dont know if this would be considered in this thread, but I'm looking to clean my windshield(inside) will any product do? Also if my windows are tinted from the inside, I just use dish soap and water right? Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2004
1914 posts
hOrnizuka wrote: any idea where to buy empty spray bottles? I have checked CT's site but can't find one.
Dollar store, but they are not all made the same. Play around with the spray before buying it, one lasted me 3 months, the 2nd one is still good (1+ year).
Jun 16, 2006
258 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
hOrnizuka wrote: any idea where to buy empty spray bottles? I have checked CT's site but can't find one.
Canadian Tire, Home Depot etc etc - check the gardening/seasonal section..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)