Automotive

RFD Official Detailing Thread - Post all Detailing/Paint Related Questions here!

  • Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2022 12:21 pm
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 25, 2002
6159 posts
717 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a question not really related to detailing/paint. I have this ABS chrome trim and want to attach to the foglight area. What are my option? I was thinking about 3M tape. Any other automotive glue that can make it stick without it falling?
Images
  • 20201102_055910.jpg
  • 20220209_201509.jpg
Sr. Member
Jun 12, 2016
664 posts
281 upvotes
Mississauga
Does anyone have a recommended car detailing shop around Mississauga? I'm trying to see whether I should pay someone to remove swirl marks throughout my car or do it myself. I can't seem to remove stubborn swirl marks on my hood using a variety of compound and polishes. Just bought the Porter Cable 7424 polisher but still need to invest in backing plates, buffing pads, and time is always valuable.

How much would a good quality 2-3 stage paint correction with ceramic coating run me? Thanks.
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2005
876 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
I have some water drop shaped pink stains on the paint, that I can't remove it with clay bar or Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. Any suggestions on what to try next?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
12627 posts
4238 upvotes
Ontario
I don't know anybody in Sauga, But I know this guy is very good and I'm sure for you to do a stage 2-3 polish + coating your looking at around or above $1,000 would be my guess - http://oriondetailing.co/paint-correction/

What pads have you tried to so far & what compound/polish have you used too? I may have some suggestions
LauD14 wrote: Does anyone have a recommended car detailing shop around Mississauga? I'm trying to see whether I should pay someone to remove swirl marks throughout my car or do it myself. I can't seem to remove stubborn swirl marks on my hood using a variety of compound and polishes. Just bought the Porter Cable 7424 polisher but still need to invest in backing plates, buffing pads, and time is always valuable.

How much would a good quality 2-3 stage paint correction with ceramic coating run me? Thanks.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 1, 2008
16345 posts
5705 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
geokilla wrote: I need a new wheel brush to get the really tight spot between my calipers and barrel. I currently have this $15 brush but it's not really soft. Anyone got a recommendation? I do try and make sure there's a lot of suds with it so it's not scratching the wheels. I use P&S Brake Buster for the soap.
sickcars wrote: Wheel Woolies are pretty good

https://carzilla.ca/search?q=Wheel+Brush
BMWWW wrote:
Without knowing what car/if it has a big brake kit, and the actual tolerances that you have between caliper and rim, I'd suggest rolling the car forward/back in neutral 1 foot so you can also knock out the tiny patch of tire that is usually next to impossible to address (clean or tire dressing). or roll onto 4 scrap pieces of interlock/2x4 to elevate the car that 1-2" if you don't have this low tolerance issue)
Finally getting around to buying the wheel brush now that my old one broke. I have a MK7.5 GTI with standard sized brakes. No plans to go BBK. With 17" Audi wheels for winter, and 17" Fast FC04 and SuperSpeed RF06RR, I got a small gap between the calipers and the barrel. I was thinking something like a Wheel Woolies 8" Small WWRKSM8 would be good enough for that spot?
Images
  • Wheel.png
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Sr. Member
Jun 12, 2016
664 posts
281 upvotes
Mississauga
sickcars wrote: I don't know anybody in Sauga, But I know this guy is very good and I'm sure for you to do a stage 2-3 polish + coating your looking at around or above $1,000 would be my guess - http://oriondetailing.co/paint-correction/

What pads have you tried to so far & what compound/polish have you used too? I may have some suggestions
I use meguilars DA pads attached to a meguiars DA drill attachment. Last summer I used a more aggressive polish (Mirror Glaze #2), but it didn't make a difference. I do a full wash, clay bar, rinse, polish, compound, and wax. This is just the hood until I see a difference. I'm thinking maybe because the drill doesn't provide enough speed or I need to get better polish/compound. Any tips or recommendation would be welcomed.

I'm finding that adding a ceramic coat really drives the cost up from these shops. Is it worth it though?
Images
  • 20220312_111649.jpg
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
12627 posts
4238 upvotes
Ontario
Your issue is using a drill which does not have enough power/speed & also likely the pads which are not aggressive enough. You need a proper polisher. I have an older Grios Garage polisher which has been great over the years but now they have a newer models.

https://carzilla.ca/products/griots-gar ... l-polisher

Then you will need some better pads, this is what I have been using for a few years and am very happy with them. They cut and finish very well for just 1 pad. https://carzilla.ca/products/uro-fiber-5-1

for polish I have used a few different ones but seem to use this one mostly - https://carzilla.ca/products/3d-one-hyb ... mpound-8oz


LauD14 wrote: I use meguilars DA pads attached to a meguiars DA drill attachment. Last summer I used a more aggressive polish (Mirror Glaze #2), but it didn't make a difference. I do a full wash, clay bar, rinse, polish, compound, and wax. This is just the hood until I see a difference. I'm thinking maybe because the drill doesn't provide enough speed or I need to get better polish/compound. Any tips or recommendation would be welcomed.

I'm finding that adding a ceramic coat really drives the cost up from these shops. Is it worth it though?
Sr. Member
Jun 12, 2016
664 posts
281 upvotes
Mississauga
sickcars wrote: Your issue is using a drill which does not have enough power/speed & also likely the pads which are not aggressive enough. You need a proper polisher. I have an older Grios Garage polisher which has been great over the years but now they have a newer models.

https://carzilla.ca/products/griots-gar ... l-polisher

Then you will need some better pads, this is what I have been using for a few years and am very happy with them. They cut and finish very well for just 1 pad. https://carzilla.ca/products/uro-fiber-5-1

for polish I have used a few different ones but seem to use this one mostly - https://carzilla.ca/products/3d-one-hyb ... mpound-8oz
Thanks for the suggestions. I'd like to try the 3D hybrid polish out with the proper cutting pad. How long does shipping take from Carzilla?

I think your right, I definitely feel the difference in the speed/power from a proper DA (Porter Cable 7424xp) vs. DA drill attachment. Hoping to try one panel out next week and report back!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
12627 posts
4238 upvotes
Ontario
if you do regular shipping with canada post its around 1 week ish. Unless your willing to pay for faster shipping.
LauD14 wrote: Thanks for the suggestions. I'd like to try the 3D hybrid polish out with the proper cutting pad. How long does shipping take from Carzilla?

I think your right, I definitely feel the difference in the speed/power from a proper DA (Porter Cable 7424xp) vs. DA drill attachment. Hoping to try one panel out next week and report back!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 3, 2007
2127 posts
1113 upvotes
Vancouver
Carzilla is running a sale that ends tomorrow night. 15% off all regular price item's, use "DETAILME" code for additional $10 off $100 and free shipping over $90.
https://carzilla.ca/

I ordered a 5" and 3" inch Lake Country backing plate. Some 5.5" and 3.5" inch Lake Country cutting, polishing and finishing pads. A Uro Fiber microfiber finishing pad. Gyeon smoothie wash mitt and Soft99 Glaco windshield coating.
Sr. Member
Jun 12, 2016
664 posts
281 upvotes
Mississauga
kev604 wrote: Carzilla is running a sale that ends tomorrow night. 15% off all regular price item's, use "DETAILME" code for additional $10 off $100 and free shipping over $90.
https://carzilla.ca/

I ordered a 5" and 3" inch Lake Country backing plate. Some 5.5" and 3.5" inch Lake Country cutting, polishing and finishing pads. A Uro Fiber microfiber finishing pad. Gyeon smoothie wash mitt and Soft99 Glaco windshield coating.
Thanks for sharing!

I noticed that you're matching the 5" & 3" backing plates with half inch bigger pads, is that not an issue? I thought they had to match.

Was thinking of getting MCKEE'S 37 360 CERAMIC ONE STEP. Anyone ever used it for finishing coat?
Images
  • Screenshot_20220313-214145_Chrome.jpg
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 3, 2007
2127 posts
1113 upvotes
Vancouver
LauD14 wrote: Thanks for sharing!

I noticed that you're matching the 5" & 3" backing plates with half inch bigger pads, is that not an issue? I thought they had to match.
5.5" will fit fine on 5" backing plate also gives you a little room for error.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 1, 2008
16345 posts
5705 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
geokilla wrote: Finally getting around to buying the wheel brush now that my old one broke. I have a MK7.5 GTI with standard sized brakes. No plans to go BBK. With 17" Audi wheels for winter, and 17" Fast FC04 and SuperSpeed RF06RR, I got a small gap between the calipers and the barrel. I was thinking something like a Wheel Woolies 8" Small WWRKSM8 would be good enough for that spot?
https://carzilla.ca/products/maxshine-l ... heel-brush

Chris @ Carzilla told me to get this so this is what I got.

Edit: IK Foam Pro 2 is on sale for $43. Lowest was $37. Should I get one or two? My friend said I shouldn't use the same bottle for both wheel cleaner and Optimum Car Wash?
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Sr. Member
Sep 18, 2006
519 posts
86 upvotes
geokilla wrote: https://carzilla.ca/products/maxshine-l ... heel-brush

Chris @ Carzilla told me to get this so this is what I got.

Edit: IK Foam Pro 2 is on sale for $43. Lowest was $37. Should I get one or two? My friend said I shouldn't use the same bottle for both wheel cleaner and Optimum Car Wash?
IK Foamers are nice to have but certainly not mandatory unless you are a shop and are maximizing efficiency.
Depending on what type of wheel soap/acid you are using, it can affect the lifespan of the critical parts on top of contaminating different soaps like you are planning to do. Use a separate dispenser for sure to not contaminate your soap with wheel cleaner.

Are you trying to maximize dwell and action from the cleaner when cleaning your wheels, therefore needing the IK Foamer? I'm lazy and have never needed to increase dwell or effectiveness of PB Brake Buster and I only handwash twice a year.
Casual Trader
Heatware: 3-0
BMWWW
Member
Jan 17, 2017
237 posts
319 upvotes
My car has 7 year old ppf on the hood and partial fenders.

It’s yellowed and spider web cracking.

How can I safely remove it without damaging paint?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
12627 posts
4238 upvotes
Ontario
Form what I have seen detailers do is they heat it. I have seen some pour hot water on it very often, have also seen people use a automotive steamer.

Here are some videos,


https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ve+old+ppf

Dealsfordina wrote: My car has 7 year old ppf on the hood and partial fenders.

It’s yellowed and spider web cracking.

How can I safely remove it without damaging paint?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 1, 2008
16345 posts
5705 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
BMWWW wrote: IK Foamers are nice to have but certainly not mandatory unless you are a shop and are maximizing efficiency.
Depending on what type of wheel soap/acid you are using, it can affect the lifespan of the critical parts on top of contaminating different soaps like you are planning to do. Use a separate dispenser for sure to not contaminate your soap with wheel cleaner.

Are you trying to maximize dwell and action from the cleaner when cleaning your wheels, therefore needing the IK Foamer? I'm lazy and have never needed to increase dwell or effectiveness of PB Brake Buster and I only handwash twice a year.
I just want it to make car washing a bit simpler and more effective. P&S Brake Buster does a fairly good job by itself but I have a lot of brake dust with EBC YellowStuff and Ferodo DS2500. Trying to get the browning off the sidewall by just spraying the solution onto the wheels and tires doesn't do good enough of a job imo.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1206 posts
390 upvotes
Oakville, ON
geokilla wrote: I just want it to make car washing a bit simpler and more effective. P&S Brake Buster does a fairly good job by itself but I have a lot of brake dust with EBC YellowStuff and Ferodo DS2500. Trying to get the browning off the sidewall by just spraying the solution onto the wheels and tires doesn't do good enough of a job imo.
If you have a foam cannon, you can use that instead. You can get a dirt cheap Amazon cannon for $20-30. That's what I use for Brake Buster application and it foams up great.
Sr. Member
Sep 18, 2006
519 posts
86 upvotes
geokilla wrote: I just want it to make car washing a bit simpler and more effective. P&S Brake Buster does a fairly good job by itself but I have a lot of brake dust with EBC YellowStuff and Ferodo DS2500. Trying to get the browning off the sidewall by just spraying the solution onto the wheels and tires doesn't do good enough of a job imo.
While I only really contact wash 2x a year, it STILL takes me 2-3 rounds with a drill brush and DEDICATED tire cleaner to get rid of browning (Continentals and Michelin) prior to applying ceramic tire shine that lasts 3-4 months. Unless you are prepping it for a tire coating, I would probably suggest using something cheaper like Superclean for tires and not worry too much about getting rid of ALL browning if you use a regular water/petroleum based tire dressing that needs re-application every few weeks.

Are your wheels coated with anything? With an aggressive pad like that it'll save you (probably) hours over the course of 6 months, even more if they are more intricate than a classic 5-spoke wheel.

I prefer spray on and rinse off coatings over a classic multi-step ceramic coatings.
Casual Trader
Heatware: 3-0
BMWWW

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)