Automotive

RFD Official Detailing Thread - Post all Detailing/Paint Related Questions here!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2024 2:35 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1668 posts
1441 upvotes
Toronto
Okay because of my limited budget right now I think I would wait to get a proper RO to polish the Corolla.

As for the Accord, I still want to properly seal it with Klasse products and Contours wax.

Can I apply both Klasse products by hand? If so, what are the pads that I need to do that? Would the process change completely? I plan to buy these products and the pads from eshine. I just need a better direction as to what pads I need on eshine to do all those by hand.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
bst wrote: Okay because of my limited budget right now I think I would wait to get a proper RO to polish the Corolla.

As for the Accord, I still want to properly seal it with Klasse products and Contours wax.

Can I apply both Klasse products by hand? If so, what are the pads that I need to do that? Would the process change completely? I plan to buy these products and the pads from eshine. I just need a better direction as to what pads I need on eshine to do all those by hand.
For sure; that is why I mentioned not to polish or a RO polishers. Klasse AIO and Klasse SG are easily applied by hand (only way to apply SG for newbies). Those pads I linked too earlier (the MF applicator pad and foam pad applicator) are the ones you will need.

Will take a bit longer but you will still achieve excellent results on your Accord. For the Corolla you might get rid of oxidation but I would wait for a RO like you mentioned.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6354 posts
1013 upvotes
Toronto, ON
One thing to keep in mind however is that it really depends on the car's paint finish. The combos mentioned above are more of a best for general car care.

Asad, great job btw, is a huge fan of the klasse (as am I), because of durability and great shine. But you can feel free to mix up your own combos as you go.
--
I like detailing cars!
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1668 posts
1441 upvotes
Toronto
Asad_A203 wrote: For sure; that is why I mentioned not to polish or a RO polishers. Klasse AIO and Klasse SG are easily applied by hand (only way to apply SG for newbies). Those pads I linked too earlier (the MF applicator pad and foam pad applicator) are the ones you will need.

Will take a bit longer but you will still achieve excellent results on your Accord. For the Corolla you might get rid of oxidation but I would wait for a RO like you mentioned.
Thanks for the quick reply.

So judging by what you said, I should be okay ordering the klasse total kit from eshine which includes a blue foam applicator pad for KAIO and the yellow pad for KSG?

If so, what are the specific instructions to applying it by hand? Do I pour a small amount on the pad and rub it in a circular motion like applying wax? I remove it with the MF towel. A step by step would be nice :)

I wish I can repay you for all the help you gave me...
Aug 4, 2004
780 posts
61 upvotes
Wondering if anyone can give me some advice..

I am ordering a set of unpainted "eyelids" for my Yaris HB. (The color is orange 4s9 and i want to make sure i can get matching paint here in Toronto instead of Mexico)

Wondering if anyone can recommend a body shop that can paint these? And since it's so small.. any idea how much it would cost me?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5983 posts
159 upvotes
Asad_A203 wrote: That is the best bet. Not so liable for Winnipegers (well Grand Forks isn't too bad; but no where near store selection as in GTA) but if I lived in GTA; I would just do border runs for detailing supplies. You could probably pass it off as your regular car cleaning supply when you cross over too; lol.
i should do that.. but u got any suggestions on where to buy the supplies? i know k-mart and walmart there don't have all the selections available. for the same product, it's probably 50% compare to CT here..
images are not permitted in sigs
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1266 upvotes
Georgetown
I was wondering if anyone might know where I could get touch up paint for my car in a spray can. The obvious option is Canadian Tire - but my paint colour isn't one of the basic ones they carry.

If there is an auto supply chain that carries a wider variety of auto paints or can custom mix the colour based on the paint code, that's what I'm looking for.

I'm in Mississauga.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
2785 posts
356 upvotes
Tiberius wrote: I was wondering if anyone might know where I could get touch up paint for my car in a spray can. The obvious option is Canadian Tire - but my paint colour isn't one of the basic ones they carry.

If there is an auto supply chain that carries a wider variety of auto paints or can custom mix the colour based on the paint code, that's what I'm looking for.

I'm in Mississauga.

Thanks.
NAPA will colour match your vehicle. I bought spray cans for my car and van from there before. Just make sure you call to ensure that they have a paint mixing facility, not all NAPA's do.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
2785 posts
356 upvotes
Nonopeno wrote: Wondering if anyone can give me some advice..

I am ordering a set of unpainted "eyelids" for my Yaris HB. (The color is orange 4s9 and i want to make sure i can get matching paint here in Toronto instead of Mexico)

Wondering if anyone can recommend a body shop that can paint these? And since it's so small.. any idea how much it would cost me?

Thanks!
I'd suggest that you paint it yourself. It's very easy and will save you quite a bit of money. Try to find your colour at Canadian Tire or get NAPA to mix you up a can.

Otherwise I'm sure ANY body shop will have no problem painting eyelids.
Aug 4, 2004
780 posts
61 upvotes
Thanks for the response!

I thought the paint needs to be "baked" in an oven for a while, and then another clear coat needs to go on for the polished look.. is that true?

Don't want the color to come off when I am waxing my car.. haha
TheRide wrote: I'd suggest that you paint it yourself. It's very easy and will save you quite a bit of money. Try to find your colour at Canadian Tire or get NAPA to mix you up a can.

Otherwise I'm sure ANY body shop will have no problem painting eyelids.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
bst wrote: Thanks for the quick reply.

So judging by what you said, I should be okay ordering the klasse total kit from eshine which includes a blue foam applicator pad for KAIO and the yellow pad for KSG?

If so, what are the specific instructions to applying it by hand? Do I pour a small amount on the pad and rub it in a circular motion like applying wax? I remove it with the MF towel. A step by step would be nice :)

I wish I can repay you for all the help you gave me...
Yep you should be fine.

For KAIO:

Apply a small amount (hard to say but a single line (bottle has a little hole) across the applicator) to the vehicle and move your pad in a circular motion over a 2X2 area. Each pass will overlap 50% of the prior pass. After doing that; do the opposite direction (instead of side to side do up to down). By then the Klasse AIO will become nearly transparent and will slightly haze; at this point you follow the same direction you waxed but buff the KAIO off with a MF Towel. If you notice buffing off is difficult; apply some Quick Detailer on the MF Towel and try it again. On the next pass also reduce your KAIO amount if you had difficulties buffing off on your original pass. Repeat until your vehicle is completely done (safe to do on plastics,glass,metal, etc.).

For Klasse SG:

Wet your MF Applicator pad with distilled water and wring out any excess water. Apply an extremely thin amount of SG (1/2-1/3 or KAIO amount) and spread over a 1X2 area. Your amount should be so thin you can barely see KSG during application. If you apply too much it will be very, very difficult to buff off.

Do the same method for applying Klasse AIO; BUT keep the area smaller (1X2 for example) and buff imediately after 30 seconds. You repeat this until you have your vehicle completely covered. You do not need to rewet your applicator pad at any point. You need to wait 24 hours to allow the sealant to bond properly before you can layer again.

Let me know if you need any more clarification.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
Nonopeno wrote: Thanks for the response!

I thought the paint needs to be "baked" in an oven for a while, and then another clear coat needs to go on for the polished look.. is that true?

Don't want the color to come off when I am waxing my car.. haha
You will need to scruff the plastic to allow the paint to stick (sand it with 400/600 grit), follow with primer (2 coats), 2 layers of paint, and then 2 layers of clear. Clear coat does produce a shinier finish usually.

You cannot bake the plastic in the oven; you just need to make sure you do not wax/polish the eyelids for 6 months. This will allow the paint to cure properly. Some people argue 30 days in the sun is just as good; but I would stick to 6 months just to be safe.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
Tomy wrote: i should do that.. but u got any suggestions on where to buy the supplies? i know k-mart and walmart there don't have all the selections available. for the same product, it's probably 50% compare to CT here..
I actually heard the Part Sources in the States is pretty good; and despite the Walmart selection being tiny; they have some good Meguiars products for cheap and better wash mitts (Eurow Wash Mitts, Meguiars NXT 2.0).

Found this too incase you want to check out some Zaino products (price is just a little bit more than American equivalent but Zaino is top notch):

http://www.zaino.ca/files/orderOTHER.html
Jun 16, 2006
305 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Asad_A203 wrote: Yep you should be fine.

For KAIO:

Apply a small amount (hard to say but a single line (bottle has a little hole) across the applicator) to the vehicle and move your pad in a circular motion over a 2X2 area. Each pass will overlap 50% of the prior pass. After doing that; do the opposite direction (instead of side to side do up to down). By then the Klasse AIO will become nearly transparent and will slightly haze; at this point you follow the same direction you waxed but buff the KAIO off with a MF Towel. If you notice buffing off is difficult; apply some Quick Detailer on the MF Towel and try it again. On the next pass also reduce your KAIO amount if you had difficulties buffing off on your original pass. Repeat until your vehicle is completely done (safe to do on plastics,glass,metal, etc.).

For Klasse SG:

Wet your MF Applicator pad with distilled water and wring out any excess water. Apply an extremely thin amount of SG (1/2-1/3 or KAIO amount) and spread over a 1X2 area. Your amount should be so thin you can barely see KSG during application. If you apply too much it will be very, very difficult to buff off.

Do the same method for applying Klasse AIO; BUT keep the area smaller (1X2 for example) and buff imediately after 30 seconds. You repeat this until you have your vehicle completely covered. You do not need to rewet your applicator pad at any point. You need to wait 24 hours to allow the sealant to bond properly before you can layer again.

Let me know if you need any more clarification.
Why do I want to buff it off? is that for testing on a small area or I need to buff off KAIO and KSG as soon as they are applied?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
torrento wrote: Why do I want to buff it off? is that for testing on a small area or I need to buff off KAIO and KSG as soon as they are applied?
You need to buff off the product for almost anything you applied. The protection put on by these products is in the mm and your clear coat is only at most a couple mm thick so you do not want to have the product sitting there.

You should buff off both KAIO and KSG as soon as possible. KAIO is not too picky about this but KSG is.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
1387 posts
3 upvotes
Asad_A203 wrote: You will need to scruff the plastic to allow the paint to stick (sand it with 400/600 grit), follow with primer (2 coats), 2 layers of paint, and then 2 layers of clear. Clear coat does produce a shinier finish usually.

You cannot bake the plastic in the oven; you just need to make sure you do not wax/polish the eyelids for 6 months. This will allow the paint to cure properly. Some people argue 30 days in the sun is just as good; but I would stick to 6 months just to be safe.
30-45 days in the sun is just as good for small (needle tip size) chips IMO...but yeah, some months are required for bigger paint job like you plan to do.
DaVillen wrote: What makes that the best deal is the size (Unit Dimensions (WxHxD)
21.1" x 19.1" x 7.0"). You won't find a 19" LCD with a 21.1" width, most 19" LCD widescreens are about 16" to 18". The size is more comparable to a 23" LCD.
*HEATWARE*
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6354 posts
1013 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For KSG:

LESS IS SOOOO MUCH MORE!!!

Seriously, try using drops instead of lines or dime sized drops. Two or 3 drops on a panel would be fine.

If it's too thin, do it again.
--
I like detailing cars!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
Bump. Detailing questions go here :cheesygri .
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
Bump for the newbies :cheesygri . Post ahead! I am adding a wetsanding article later on (does not include touch up as my stupid stealership has to do a special order for probably the most common Infiniti color :mad :) .
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6354 posts
1013 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Asad_A203 wrote: Bump for the newbies :cheesygri . Post ahead! I am adding a wetsanding article later on (does not include touch up as my stupid stealership has to do a special order for probably the most common Infiniti color :mad :) .
Ya I could post one as well... wetsanding plus polishing is good for oxidation, and light scratches.

Asad, are you on Autopia, DB or AGO?
--
I like detailing cars!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)