Sports & Recreation

RFD Raptors Lounge - NBA CHAMPIONS!

Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3200 posts
1585 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OK so I was reading this article about a recent DeMar interview and he had this to say.. (which literally pissed me off about the trade now and makes me HATE MASAI!)

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2418 ... -spurs-nba

CH: In 2016, when you were a free agent, most people thought you were going to be Lakers-bound. Going back to your hometown. We're here in Los Angeles right now. That didn't happen. You didn't even take a meeting with the team. Toronto has a hard time attracting marquee free agents, and the team has had a hard time retaining some of its stars. Why was it so important for you to re-sign and not even look elsewhere?

DD: Day 1 when I was drafted to the Toronto Raptors, they had this stigma on them: Every guy leaves, nobody wants to be here, superstars, nobody wants to play in Canada. From Day 1, my whole mindset and approach to the game, being in Toronto, was I wanted to change that whole narrative to that whole organization. That's why I work my butt off like I did. That's why I push, that's why I repped so hard to get that stigma off it. And that was another example in my career where I could prove that by not having to meet with nobody else. Get this done within the first 30 minutes of free agency and keep moving. That was always my mindset and approach, and you could tell by the connection I have with the fans. I never thought about elsewhere, I never mentioned elsewhere. I love that place. It's literally my second home.

CH: Vince Carter. Tracy McGrady. Chris Bosh. The list goes on. But when people think about "Mr. Raptor," you're the name that pops up. Did you envision a scenario in which this could happen?

DD: To be honest with you, no. No. I was so mentally in this being my home. I took pride in the community. I took pride in everything when it came to Canada. Not even just Toronto, everything that came with Canada, wearing that Toronto Raptors jersey. That's why it was so tough and emotional for me when I first heard it because everybody knows what type of guy I am. It showed when I went out there and played. Whether it was for the good or for the bad, I took it like a man.

That literally made me cry!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1475 posts
622 upvotes
Toronto
Masai is just doing his job and it is to make the team better... its a tough business that comes with tough decisions
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8278 posts
2880 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't like the trade, but I can respect and appreciate the challenges the executives have to cope with and understand they have to make moves that can be less popular with the fans.

I just don't like fans being hypocrites and hating on players when they decide to sign elsewhere. So if and when Kawhi decides to leave after this season via free agency, don't be hatin on him, for example.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8638 posts
1341 upvotes
lamboman wrote: OK so I was reading this article about a recent DeMar interview and he had this to say.. (which literally pissed me off about the trade now and makes me HATE MASAI!)

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2418 ... -spurs-nba

CH: In 2016, when you were a free agent, most people thought you were going to be Lakers-bound. Going back to your hometown. We're here in Los Angeles right now. That didn't happen. You didn't even take a meeting with the team. Toronto has a hard time attracting marquee free agents, and the team has had a hard time retaining some of its stars. Why was it so important for you to re-sign and not even look elsewhere?

DD: Day 1 when I was drafted to the Toronto Raptors, they had this stigma on them: Every guy leaves, nobody wants to be here, superstars, nobody wants to play in Canada. From Day 1, my whole mindset and approach to the game, being in Toronto, was I wanted to change that whole narrative to that whole organization. That's why I work my butt off like I did. That's why I push, that's why I repped so hard to get that stigma off it. And that was another example in my career where I could prove that by not having to meet with nobody else. Get this done within the first 30 minutes of free agency and keep moving. That was always my mindset and approach, and you could tell by the connection I have with the fans. I never thought about elsewhere, I never mentioned elsewhere. I love that place. It's literally my second home.

CH: Vince Carter. Tracy McGrady. Chris Bosh. The list goes on. But when people think about "Mr. Raptor," you're the name that pops up. Did you envision a scenario in which this could happen?

DD: To be honest with you, no. No. I was so mentally in this being my home. I took pride in the community. I took pride in everything when it came to Canada. Not even just Toronto, everything that came with Canada, wearing that Toronto Raptors jersey. That's why it was so tough and emotional for me when I first heard it because everybody knows what type of guy I am. It showed when I went out there and played. Whether it was for the good or for the bad, I took it like a man.

That literally made me cry!
While I respect and like DD, he’s not lying about working his butt off but the end result is still poor. The team failed to achieve what it thought it was capable of doing.

If I work my butt off for my company and we still come up
short, management will make changes and I just have to accept it. It’s no different.

End of the day, it’s really just, “business.”
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2012
1179 posts
42 upvotes
It's sad to see derozen go but man... I can't wait to see how good derozen becomes with coach pop

Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5451 posts
2649 upvotes
Global Village
taeyang987 wrote: It's sad to see derozen go but man... I can't wait to see how good derozen becomes with coach pop

1 thing is for sure, the Spurs will be a much more interesting team to watch with Demar there. Is it possible they find a way to play Demar with Rudy Gay even though it clearly did not work here? They don't have many good 3 point shooters, will they go all-midrange or will they ask their bad 3 shooters to keep shooting them?

Although Kawhi and Danny make us better defensively I also think we will be more boring to watch as a team with them, more fundamentally sound and more dangerous to opponents but less exciting.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2014
1358 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto, ON
scoper wrote: 1 thing is for sure, the Spurs will be a much more interesting team to watch with Demar there. Is it possible they find a way to play Demar with Rudy Gay even though it clearly did not work here? They don't have many good 3 point shooters, will they go all-midrange or will they ask their bad 3 shooters to keep shooting them?

Although Kawhi and Danny make us better defensively I also think we will be more boring to watch as a team with them, more fundamentally sound and more dangerous to opponents but less exciting.
Spurs offensive system this year ran mostly post ups and play at the slowest pace in the league, which fits their personel - mainly LaMarcus Aldridge and lack of shooting

Derozan was one of the better guards at posting up due to his size, and ironically fared better than JV on PPP last season in post ups. Derozan will be fine there and Pop knows when to adapt to his players.

Just a couple seasons ago in the 2014 finals, they were running a modern style offense similar to what many teams are running today.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1475 posts
622 upvotes
Toronto
when is the team planning on introducing danny green and kawhi to the media? Isn't it today?
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
734 upvotes
taeyang987 wrote: It's sad to see derozen go but man... I can't wait to see how good derozen becomes with coach pop

+100000

For sure.

One positive thing about this trade is that Masai at least sent him to play for one of the best coach of all time. Poetl too.

These guys are professional anyways. They will ball no matter what.
when is the team planning on introducing danny green and kawhi to the media? Isn't it today?
Depends on what Uncle Dennis say. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
5226 posts
2417 upvotes
Vancouver

When asked about Kawhi Leonard at USA Basketball minicamp today, Kyle Lowry says, "I don't know if I've spoken to him."
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4980 posts
874 upvotes
Toronto
notenoughsleep wrote:

When asked about Kawhi Leonard at USA Basketball minicamp today, Kyle Lowry says, "I don't know if I've spoken to him."
hard to have chemistry if they are not talking to each other. Lowry probably wants to be trade too now. I can't see how they can play with each other.

I think Kawhi should at least address the fan a little bit even though he's not a talker.
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9379 posts
3643 upvotes
Toronto
notenoughsleep wrote:

that quote doesn't give the full context. if you listen to the entire interview you could tell he didn't want to talk about the trade situation with the reporter. when he was first asked if he talked to Kawhi he said "probably. yeah, i think so". when he realized the interviewer was going to get into more in-depth questioning he smirked and said i don't know. he wanted to keep the focus on the USA camp without getting into any drama.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2014
1358 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Maybe it's me, but I think Lowry handled it quite well. Why add more fuel to the fire for the media???
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5451 posts
2649 upvotes
Global Village
notenoughsleep wrote:

lol, that's like when someone knocks at your door and you saying "I'm not here!"

I feel sorry for these reporters some times...
All day I dream about sports

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)