Sports & Recreation

RFD Raptors Lounge - NBA CHAMPIONS!

Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10839 posts
5908 upvotes
Markham
MyNameWasTaken wrote: Not making any excuses for Pascal. Stupid thing to do, and he struggled horrifically. I'm not going to bail on the guy this early though. I think Nurse didn't draw up any plays in the final minutes, because a) he knew the team is pretty much over the bubble b) he wanted to let the starters ride it out one last time and c) Pascal needed this. He needs to fail to rise as he moves into his max contract next year, and bailing him out would've been too easy even though it meant no ECF for us fans. At least that's my thoughts lol
Lowry already went down the same journey b4 Siakam. His advice for Siakam was on the money...use it as motivation to get better because it sucks to not perform/live up to your own standards. AD is on the market...should we go and get him?

Let all just move on and not focus on the past because there is nothing there left to discuss.

Here are the team by team free agents for 2020 and 2021. Is Masai going to get bluffed at the table with hope of Giannis and let everyone go after the other players like he did with Kawhi?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/202 ... -2020-2021

Serge Ibaka

Marc Gasol

Fred VanVleet

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Chris Boucher (restricted)

Malcolm Miller (restricted)

Stanley Johnson (player)

Oshae Brissett (restricted)

Patrick McCaw

Norman Powell (player)

OG Anunoby (restricted)

Terence Davis (restricted)

Paul Watson (restricted)
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5315 posts
2546 upvotes
Global Village
gr8dlr wrote:
Let all just move on and not focus on the past because there is nothing there left to discuss.

Here are the team by team free agents for 2020 and 2021. Is Masai going to get bluffed at the table with hope of Giannis and let everyone go after the other players like he did with Kawhi?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/202 ... -2020-2021

Serge Ibaka

Marc Gasol

Fred VanVleet

It depends on what offers Fred and Serge get in the open market. Fred is expected to command a deal similar to Malcolm Brogdon's, 4 years 85 mill. I think we're matching that. But what if some desperate team goes higher, 4 years 100+ mill? If he gets offered a max-territory deal we might let him walk. I think Serge will get a 3-year ~$50 mill deal. Do we match that? My guess would be no, we could take that $ and use it on a younger big like Jerami Grant (who I'd really like to see wearing a Raps uniform next season). I don't expect Marc to get higher than a mid-level offer.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10204 posts
738 upvotes
scoper wrote: It depends on what offers Fred and Serge get in the open market. Fred is expected to command a deal similar to Malcolm Brogdon's, 4 years 85 mill. I think we're matching that. But what if some desperate team goes higher, 4 years 100+ mill? If he gets offered a max-territory deal we might let him walk. I think Serge will get a 3-year ~$50 mill deal. Do we match that? My guess would be no, we could take that $ and use it on a younger big like Jerami Grant (who I'd really like to see wearing a Raps uniform next season). I don't expect Marc to get higher than a mid-level offer.
We will most likely keep FVV because he will be replacing Lowry soon. Ibaka is good as gone.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5315 posts
2546 upvotes
Global Village
kevindurant1 wrote: We will most likely keep FVV because he will be replacing Lowry soon. Ibaka is good as gone.
Even if Fred gets a max-level deal from another team? I wouldn't match that for him, he's good but he's not that good.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10204 posts
738 upvotes
scoper wrote: Even if Fred gets a max-level deal from another team? I wouldn't match that for him, he's good but he's not that good.
That is up to Ujiri. He knows what he is doing.

Overpaying someone shouldn't be an issue. Derozan gave us Kawhi.

If they are on the roster that means they have a purpose. Whether they are here to stay or be used as a trade piece.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10839 posts
5908 upvotes
Markham
I'm hoping Fred recognizes that Toronto was the team who gave him opportunity and is reasonable in his search. A little discount is not a bad thing to play with the team who believed in you and gave you life and added Kyle (his mentor) and his boys are here.

Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3299 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
There's only a few teams with a PG need and have salary cap space.
Thinking Detroit, NYK and maybe Charlotte.
Maybe Detroit would be a spot with Dwane Casey as coach... But I think he has a good thing in Toronto
Raptors will give him a fair offer maybe 4y/88M
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43390 posts
6634 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Vanvleet can be the new Lowry. And Terrence Davis is working @ becoming the next VanVleet.

Siakim is still working towards Kawhi status? Maybe?

He got a good foundation... he’s not lazy. Although his offensive game was atrocious this playoffs... he displays a lot of effort on defence. He just needs to work on reading the floor better.

My 2 cents!

Go raptors!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8149 posts
2847 upvotes
Mississauga
gr8dlr wrote: I'm hoping Fred recognizes that Toronto was the team who gave him opportunity and is reasonable in his search. A little discount is not a bad thing to play with the team who believed in you and gave you life and added Kyle (his mentor) and his boys are here.
It would be silly for him to give a hometown discount. End of the day, management is not loyal today compared to back in the day. everyone recognizes it's just a business, so money talks.

If he gets offered near max territory by another team, he earned that. Shouldn't have to take a discount because he will be just as easily traded away if management feels it makes sense. They saw what happened with DeMar firsthand, so they will take care of themself first, as they should.

It would suck to lose him, but i think think the chances are high.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6420 posts
947 upvotes
we have always talked about how deep the bench is for the Raps,
so I am a bit disappointed not because we lost, but we didn't try different sets of lineup to counter.
Theis was having easy buckets everytime Kemba and Tatum dish it off in the paint, and the Raps did not do a thing to counter that play after play.
None of the bench players were utilized during this series, when some starters were obviously struggling to find their rhythm.
Jefferson, Boucher and TD would have provided some needed energy on offensive boards, rim protection and 3 point shootings.
Stanley was under utilized the entire season, not sure why. This guy is strong and got some PG skills, can play on both ends.
kenchau wrote: It would be silly for him to give a hometown discount. End of the day, management is not loyal today compared to back in the day. everyone recognizes it's just a business, so money talks.

If he gets offered near max territory by another team, he earned that. Shouldn't have to take a discount because he will be just as easily traded away if management feels it makes sense. They saw what happened with DeMar firsthand, so they will take care of themself first, as they should.

It would suck to lose him, but i think think the chances are high.
he once said at the end of the day it's bout making money, in his undrafted video.
Teams can trade players in a heartbeat when they see a good deal for them,
so it makes sense players just do what is the best for themselves, it's just a business after all.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10839 posts
5908 upvotes
Markham
sf1 wrote: we have always talked about how deep the bench is for the Raps,
so I am a bit disappointed not because we lost, but we didn't try different sets of lineup to counter.
Theis was having easy buckets everytime Kemba and Tatum dish it off in the paint, and the Raps did not do a thing to counter that play after play.
None of the bench players were utilized during this series, when some starters were obviously struggling to find their rhythm.
Jefferson, Boucher and TD would have provided some needed energy on offensive boards, rim protection and 3 point shootings.
Stanley was under utilized the entire season, not sure why. This guy is strong and got some PG skills, can play on both ends.

he once said at the end of the day it's bout making money, in his undrafted video.
Teams can trade players in a heartbeat when they see a good deal for them,
so it makes sense players just do what is the best for themselves, it's just a business after all.
Not all players are like that. Even DeMar and Kyle re-signed extensions before they "tested the market".

There are examples of players who left for money and found themselves on the bench with new teams and with new coaches or in much smaller roles.

One example that I recall is Jae Crowder went to Cleveland to play with LeBron.... He never fit in there.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7121 posts
1886 upvotes
T dot 6
sf1 wrote: so I am a bit disappointed not because we lost, but we didn't try different sets of lineup to counter.
I agree but also for the fact our starters looked tired. I understand Nurse wanting to put his best players on the floor but they amount of minutes they were putting in every other night is going to wear you down.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8542 posts
2938 upvotes
Serge Ibaka outplayed Siakam in every aspect during the Playoffs and especially in that series.
Maybe Nurse was giving Siakam a chance for redemption but clearly Ibaka was more driven to play to win than Siakam was.

Jaytee wrote: I agree but also for the fact our starters looked tired. I understand Nurse wanting to put his best players on the floor but they amount of minutes they were putting in every other night is going to wear you down.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7312 posts
729 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Not all players are like that. Even DeMar and Kyle re-signed extensions before they "tested the market".

There are examples of players who left for money and found themselves on the bench with new teams and with new coaches or in much smaller roles.

One example that I recall is Jae Crowder went to Cleveland to play with LeBron.... He never fit in there.
Jae Crowder didn't join Cleveland by choice to join Lebron, he was traded there as part of the Kyrie transaction. Better example is Demarre Carroll signing with Raptors.