Sports & Recreation

RFD Raptors Lounge - NBA CHAMPIONS!

Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2561 posts
123 upvotes
Boston was the same way. Except for a few players, they ran their core like we did. Sometimes you just can't find a good match up on your bench. Or you can't trust the players enough to provide defense and offense. Nurse went with his work horses from last year.

About FFV. He has literally nothing else to prove. He has a ring, he has played himself into a huge payday. Sure he might end up in a crappy situation where the coach/team sucks but if I am getting paid 25 million a year, that is the least of my worries. I got my ring. Sure I might want another but most players don't even get a chance for 1. I have secured my family's future, my future and the rest is just gravy.

As much I like him, you have to ask yourself. Do you see FFV doing what Lowry did in the Boston series? Do you see him picking up our guys, shouldering the load? Lowry is almost impossible to replace but FFV is not the heir apparent.
sf1 wrote: we have always talked about how deep the bench is for the Raps,
so I am a bit disappointed not because we lost, but we didn't try different sets of lineup to counter.
Theis was having easy buckets everytime Kemba and Tatum dish it off in the paint, and the Raps did not do a thing to counter that play after play.
None of the bench players were utilized during this series, when some starters were obviously struggling to find their rhythm.
Jefferson, Boucher and TD would have provided some needed energy on offensive boards, rim protection and 3 point shootings.
Stanley was under utilized the entire season, not sure why. This guy is strong and got some PG skills, can play on both ends.

he once said at the end of the day it's bout making money, in his undrafted video.
Teams can trade players in a heartbeat when they see a good deal for them,
so it makes sense players just do what is the best for themselves, it's just a business after all.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10204 posts
738 upvotes
danman227460 wrote: Boston was the same way. Except for a few players, they ran their core like we did. Sometimes you just can't find a good match up on your bench. Or you can't trust the players enough to provide defense and offense. Nurse went with his work horses from last year.

About FFV. He has literally nothing else to prove. He has a ring, he has played himself into a huge payday. Sure he might end up in a crappy situation where the coach/team sucks but if I am getting paid 25 million a year, that is the least of my worries. I got my ring. Sure I might want another but most players don't even get a chance for 1. I have secured my family's future, my future and the rest is just gravy.

As much I like him, you have to ask yourself. Do you see FFV doing what Lowry did in the Boston series? Do you see him picking up our guys, shouldering the load? Lowry is almost impossible to replace but FFV is not the heir apparent.
Lowry is one of a kind. The guy is pretty much hall of famer but who can replace him better than FVV?

He is only 26 too. He will just keep getting better.

Lowry best years came around when he was 30. When he was 26, you would have trade him in an instant.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3301 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
FVV might not be the same as Kyle, but he brings a different dimension.
Guess who was guarding the 1 when the Raptors played the BOX+1 defense?

It was FVV who was chasing and preventing Steph Curry the ball last year.
It was FVV who was chasing and preventing Kemba Walker the ball this year.
while still giving you ~16pts a game...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7317 posts
729 upvotes
Toronto
I would obviously take Kyle over Fred any given year, Kyle has all the intangibles few possess, but Kyle is not going to play forever and the Raptors will take a big hit when he retires or moves on. You just have to hope Masai is able to bring in new talent that makes up for his loss in other ways. I don't see the Raptors bad enough to be in the lottery with FVV and Pascal as its two star players taking up over 50 million in cap space, nor good enough to compete for a championship when they have a team with a younger more talented core in Boston in their division.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3266 posts
28298 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Is Denver really putting the Clippers on its heels? The Clippers were up 3-1 and now have a game 7. You can't say there's not a lot of talent on the Clippers team, it's just some teams want it more this year. Golden State edged it's competition in previous years, and when the Raptors, the first team to do it, took it away from them, some of their players switched teams cuz they realized it's an end to the dynasty. We did everything right the first year to do it, and this second year, I guess we'll have to see who takes it and reason from there. Other players didn't do as much first year, but managed to make better "dream" teams this year. That's what we're seeing on the board. The Raptors didn't sign a star player in time because they were waiting on Kawhi. No biggie, we'll see what's up in year 3 with 1 being victory.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2561 posts
123 upvotes
I agree that Masai has to try and sign Fred but if he's asking for 25, Masai has to look into a fill in next year before Lowry "retires" the year after. They could use it as an audition to see who can step in and if nothing. Sign a FA for Giannis.

Don't love the idea of potential 100 million between 3 guys.
kevindurant1 wrote: Lowry is one of a kind. The guy is pretty much hall of famer but who can replace him better than FVV?

He is only 26 too. He will just keep getting better.

Lowry best years came around when he was 30. When he was 26, you would have trade him in an instant.
I think Giannis is throwing a big wrench into our team plans. Everything we do next year is for Giannis and he is not even guaranteed to come. Masai wants the most room free so he can't over commit to big contracts because that means less money for Giannis. Yet we can't field a competitive team at all next year because of the holes we have and not enough money to patch the holes. We only have 40 million to spend. Lowry does come off in 2021 but so does everyone else not named Siakim.
stinastr wrote: Is Denver really putting the Clippers on its heels? The Clippers were up 3-1 and now have a game 7. You can't say there's not a lot of talent on the Clippers team, it's just some teams want it more this year. Golden State edged it's competition in previous years, and when the Raptors, the first team to do it, took it away from them, some of their players switched teams cuz they realized it's an end to the dynasty. We did everything right the first year to do it, and this second year, I guess we'll have to see who takes it and reason from there. Other players didn't do as much first year, but managed to make better "dream" teams this year. That's what we're seeing on the board. The Raptors didn't sign a star player in time because they were waiting on Kawhi. No biggie, we'll see what's up in year 3 with 1 being victory.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8566 posts
2958 upvotes
Giannis can only get the SUPER MAX contract deal if he signs with Milwaukee (his current team). A supermax contract is $43.5+ million a season,
while signing a max contract with another team is up to $34.5 million per season.

I'm not sure Giannis would have any reason to sign in Toronto over a team like L.A. Lakers. His brother received a goodwill gesture contract there
in hopes that Giannis can be persuaded to go there.
danman227460 wrote: I agree that Masai has to try and sign Fred but if he's asking for 25, Masai has to look into a fill in next year before Lowry "retires" the year after. They could use it as an audition to see who can step in and if nothing. Sign a FA for Giannis.

I think Giannis is throwing a big wrench into our team plans. Everything we do next year is for Giannis and he is not even guaranteed to come. Masai wants the most room free so he can't over commit to big contracts because that means less money for Giannis. Yet we can't field a competitive team at all next year because of the holes we have and not enough money to patch the holes. We only have 40 million to spend. Lowry does come off in 2021 but so does everyone else not named Siakim.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4007 posts
434 upvotes
Georgetown
I'm curious why everyone assumes current roster moves and future plans are revolving around Giannis? It is a pretty huge assumption to plan a teams future around going after a FA. The player can sign before they even reach FA status, they can take bigger money to stay put, and they basically can choose which team they want to play for because the true star players will have every team willing to offer them a max contract.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3266 posts
28298 upvotes
Toronto, ON
danman227460 wrote:
Lol, another Kawhi moment to curse us from being the team we were previously, or at least close to. I don't know, I guess Toronto is trying to woo Giannis with the fact it's got a large Greek speaking population and is great, albeit cold. He's from the Mediterranean so Miami can appeal to the weather, and there are lots of tourist there all the time, he'll fit in there too. Similar weather or the diversity of a Canadian city. I don't know if Giannis enjoyed Milwaukee but I remember him speaking well about it. Will he look at it as, let's go with the winning team if Miami almost wins or wins you never know at this state, teams got about 25% give or take (still 5 left, hurry up western!), or go with the rival and maybe he enjoyed playing the Raptors and liked the crowd. If it's just money, US contracts are usually a little more, and Miami does have its prospects.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2561 posts
123 upvotes
You are correct if the cap remains flat until 2021. Still valid that anything close to 100 between Fred, Siakim and Giannis is a lot.

We have Masai who pretty much gave Giannis his NBA future. If it wasn't for him, Giannis might not have made it over here. There is the story that goes back to him helping Giannis' family migrate to Greece so he can play there. They have a long history which is why everyone favored us to land him if Bucks didn't extend him. But even then, there are no guarantees in life. Anything can happen. If the Bucks seriously retool, win him the ring, who knows what happens next year.
XFactor11 wrote: Giannis can only get the SUPER MAX contract deal if he signs with Milwaukee (his current team). A supermax contract is $43.5+ million a season,
while signing a max contract with another team is up to $34.5 million per season.

I'm not sure Giannis would have any reason to sign in Toronto over a team like L.A. Lakers. His brother received a goodwill gesture contract there
1) Masai. They have a long history
2) Culture. Giannis has seen how the Raptors and Heat have built the team and their culture. He got eliminated by both teams so he has seen first hand how good the Raptors and Heat were.

Those are the two big factors that have Toronto up there. It isn't a secret based on past articles that Masai has ties to Giannis and it is a big bond. Is it enough to sway him? Only if Masai can build him a better supporting cast than the Bucks can.
Tiberius wrote: I'm curious why everyone assumes current roster moves and future plans are revolving around Giannis? It is a pretty huge assumption to plan a teams future around going after a FA. The player can sign before they even reach FA status, they can take bigger money to stay put, and they basically can choose which team they want to play for because the true star players will have every team willing to offer them a max contract.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10204 posts
738 upvotes
danman227460 wrote: I agree that Masai has to try and sign Fred but if he's asking for 25, Masai has to look into a fill in next year before Lowry "retires" the year after. They could use it as an audition to see who can step in and if nothing. Sign a FA for Giannis.

If Masai believes that he has a shot to land Giannis he will make the right move.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7317 posts
729 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote: Giannis can only get the SUPER MAX contract deal if he signs with Milwaukee (his current team). A supermax contract is $43.5+ million a season,

Would the Lakers have cap space though, Lebron is signed for another few years. They would have to renounce their rights to Davis as his cap hold will be sizeable. Cap won't be going up in the next few years unless things are back to normal by the end of this year/early next. It is Miami that is probably more likely, they should have room and they have some very good young players.
Jul 16, 2019
471 posts
259 upvotes
Who else could Masai bring in if Giannis does not come to TO ? PG13 contract is also up next year. Who else ? I do not see any one on the bench making the starting 5 even if Gasol/Ibaka/FVV leave.
I assume we stand pat with the guards with the assumption that we will only look at that once Kyle is gone. Once we sign FVV. OR will he trade 2 guards not named Kyle for an upgrade ?
Gasol and Ibaka can walk or may be allowed to walk.
So we need a big/s. Assuming with hang tight with OG and Siakam.
Clippers traded away almost a decade worth of picks plus I think Shai for PG-13 and they will lose the most if they cannot win either this year or next assuming PG re signs.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8159 posts
2852 upvotes
Mississauga
vernonco wrote: Who else could Masai bring in if Giannis does not come to TO ? PG13 contract is also up next year. Who else ? I do not see any one on the bench making the starting 5 even if Gasol/Ibaka/FVV leave.
I assume we stand pat with the guards with the assumption that we will only look at that once Kyle is gone. Once we sign FVV. OR will he trade 2 guards not named Kyle for an upgrade ?
Gasol and Ibaka can walk or may be allowed to walk.
So we need a big/s. Assuming with hang tight with OG and Siakam.
Clippers traded away almost a decade worth of picks plus I think Shai for PG-13 and they will lose the most if they cannot win either this year or next assuming PG re signs.
If Gasol/Ibaka/FVV leave, you would bring in Powell as the SG. And perhaps have Boucher as the hustle 5 that isn't going to have any plays run for him. But he will simply work hard and try to block shots.

Certainly won't be a title contender with that lineup, but still an average playoff team. Bench won't be as deep, but guys will develop and improve from this season. So you never know

Powell will be playing for a contract, so he should be bringing it.
Mar 10, 2004
594 posts
185 upvotes
kenchau wrote: If Gasol/Ibaka/FVV leave, you would bring in Powell as the SG. And perhaps have Boucher as the hustle 5 that isn't going to have any plays run for him. But he will simply work hard and try to block shots.

Certainly won't be a title contender with that lineup, but still an average playoff team. Bench won't be as deep, but guys will develop and improve from this season. So you never know

Powell will be playing for a contract, so he should be bringing it.

Yeah i don t see us resigning fvv. We also have terence davis. I think we should try to resign gasol on a 1 year. We should take a shot at giannis. We ve actually got a better chance than most teams. I just hope that siakam can find his form again.