Sports & Recreation

RFD Raptors Lounge - NBA CHAMPIONS!

Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14177 posts
3396 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
tempperm wrote: Yeah i don t see us resigning fvv. We also have terence davis. I think we should try to resign gasol on a 1 year. We should take a shot at giannis. We ve actually got a better chance than most teams. I just hope that siakam can find his form again.
I don't like the idea of Siakam matched with Giannis. Both can't shoot and both have only an inside game. Until one of them develops a solid jumper, our offense is gonna look a lot like what it did against the Celtics.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43380 posts
6608 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
geokilla wrote: I don't like the idea of Siakam matched with Giannis. Both can't shoot and both have only an inside game. Until one of them develops a solid jumper, our offense is gonna look a lot like what it did against the Celtics.
It could usher in a new era of fast ball.
Just keep running and gunning to score. Pounding it deep inside!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5307 posts
2543 upvotes
Global Village
danman227460 wrote:
We have Masai who pretty much gave Giannis his NBA future. If it wasn't for him, Giannis might not have made it over here. There is the story that goes back to him helping Giannis' family migrate to Greece so he can play there. They have a long history which is why everyone favored us to land him if Bucks didn't extend him. But even then, there are no guarantees in life. Anything can happen. If the Bucks seriously retool, win him the ring, who knows what happens next year.
Wait Masai helped his family emigrate from Nigeria to Greece? Giannis was born in Greece so Masai helped his parents emigrate before Giannis was even born?
All day I dream about sports
Jul 16, 2019
463 posts
253 upvotes
scoper wrote: Wait Masai helped his family emigrate from Nigeria to Greece? Giannis was born in Greece so Masai helped his parents emigrate before Giannis was even born?
There was one article mentioning that but Masai would have been 22 when Giannis parents moved to Greece so that is unlikely. Giannis was not eligible for Greek citizenship even though he was born there because his parents were not in Greece legally. He got Greek citizenship only in 2013 and the rumor is that Masai helped. By getting Greek citizenship, Giannis was able to play club ball in Greece which was the springboard to the NBA. Masai is also Nigerian origin like Giannis. Masai runs Basketball without borders which helps African kids get into the sport and Giannis has also helped participated in their events now that he is a star and he has also called Masai 'awesome'. So there is some connection but not sure how strong.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3299 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote: I don't like the idea of Siakam matched with Giannis. Both can't shoot and both have only an inside game. Until one of them develops a solid jumper, our offense is gonna look a lot like what it did against the Celtics.
i'm with you on this... their games don't mesh well right now.
but who knows. with this summer ahead, maybe pascal improves his handles, gets a more consistent mid range shot and giannis can do the same too

these guys are still so young...they've been getting by with sheer athleticism so far and turning defense into offense on the fast break....this is not super effective in playoffs where the pace slows down and possessions are more vital
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5307 posts
2543 upvotes
Global Village
vernonco wrote: There was one article mentioning that but Masai would have been 22 when Giannis parents moved to Greece so that is unlikely. Giannis was not eligible for Greek citizenship even though he was born there because his parents were not in Greece legally. He got Greek citizenship only in 2013 and the rumor is that Masai helped. By getting Greek citizenship, Giannis was able to play club ball in Greece which was the springboard to the NBA. Masai is also Nigerian origin like Giannis. Masai runs Basketball without borders which helps African kids get into the sport and Giannis has also helped participated in their events now that he is a star and he has also called Masai 'awesome'. So there is some connection but not sure how strong.
If true it makes the Giannis to TO prospects even more realistic as long as we can extend Masai, he's on contract with the Raps for only 1 more season.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8140 posts
2846 upvotes
Mississauga
SoGood wrote: i'm with you on this... their games don't mesh well right now.
but who knows. with this summer ahead, maybe pascal improves his handles, gets a more consistent mid range shot and giannis can do the same too

these guys are still so young...they've been getting by with sheer athleticism so far and turning defense into offense on the fast break....this is not super effective in playoffs where the pace slows down and possessions are more vital
They can be the second coming, albeit a couple of inches shorter, of twin towers (a la David Robinson and Tim Duncan). :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7310 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely no point keeping Siakam if the Raptors somehow sign Giannis. By next off-season I don't see a level of talent that would be appealing for Giannis to come here. Perhaps if Pascal is traded for someone who would be a better fit and we still have FVV, otherwise the cupboards a re pretty sparse.. OG and Pascal? Not going to overrate our prospects like Terence Davis will be another Jaylen Brown..
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3157 posts
1553 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wait, I'm all in for having Giannis, but y'all do realize that he is injury prone right?! He twisted his ankle in the post-season so he was out the rest of the games.

What goes to say, he will be a healthy player come next season?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11805 posts
2348 upvotes
lamboman wrote: Wait, I'm all in for having Giannis, but y'all do realize that he is injury prone right?! He twisted his ankle in the post-season so he was out the rest of the games.

What goes to say, he will be a healthy player come next season?
He misses 1 post season game and he's injury prone? He's never missed more than 2 games in a row in his entire 7 year career and most time it was to rest him. The majority of the Raptors can't even say that about this season only.

Also he tweaked his ankle in game 3. Then re-aggravated it in game 4. He was a last second scratch for game 5, as he was practising before the game and the coach pulled him. That means he likely didn't have a grade 3 sprain, which means after 4-6 weeks, he'll be 100% again. The 2021 season doesn't start until December, so no worries of whether Giannis will be 100%.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5307 posts
2543 upvotes
Global Village
No terms announced on the extension. I wonder if there might be an "If Masai leaves after next season I want the option to leave too" clause.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3157 posts
1553 upvotes
Toronto, ON
geokilla wrote: Isn't it early for an extension? Nurse's contract isn't up for another year.
Well, he did say "I miss this team already" at the post game interview...
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8140 posts
2846 upvotes
Mississauga
geokilla wrote: Isn't it early for an extension? Nurse's contract isn't up for another year.
I would have waited to see how Nurse coaches the team in the playoffs next year. What he did this year in the playoffs was some cause for concern.