Pets

RFD - Real Fish Discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2024 8:44 pm
Jul 25, 2020
189 posts
133 upvotes
richmond,bc
@brigand Oh man I'm also on the same boat lol. I have a decent 12 gallon tank handed down to me and I'm going to transfer my betta from my 5 gallon some time. I just can't decide if want a school of nano fish, mayyybe pygmy cories ( I don't know if 26 degrees is good for them) or just divide the tank and get another betta. I knew walmarts have a fish section from those fish abuse videos on youtube. It's good that canadian walmarts don't sell live fish lol.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1256 posts
1449 upvotes
49.2827°N 123.1207°W
craxybuyer wrote: @brigand Oh man I'm also on the same boat lol. I have a decent 12 gallon tank handed down to me and I'm going to transfer my betta from my 5 gallon some time. I just can't decide if want a school of nano fish, mayyybe pygmy cories ( I don't know if 26 degrees is good for them) or just divide the tank and get another betta. I knew walmarts have a fish section from those fish abuse videos on youtube. It's good that canadian walmarts don't sell live fish lol.
Canadian Walmarts did sell live fish back in the days. I remember the one at Lougheed Mall did 100%.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1609 posts
1433 upvotes
Richmond Hill
yau1225 wrote: You need to add ammonia daily (up to around 2ppm) until you get readings on NITRITES. Nitrate usually comes from tap water even if the cycle doesn't start. You only know your cycle really started when you start seeing nitrites.
So when do I stop adding ammonia? Once I have readings on nitrites? Once there are readings in nitrites, my cycle has started but my ammonia and nitrites are taking over 24 hrs to convert.
So I keep adding daily and testing daily until I see complete conversion within 24 hrs?

The darker green pic is after adding about 2ppm, lighter green picture is 36hrs after. Seems like nitrite hasn’t changed much since 24-36hrs. I didn’t bother doing the nitrate test because I hate that step lol... will do it when I really need to.

This is day 16 since my first ammonia dose and I have added a total of about 6-8ppm of ammonia in total.

Should I add more of my seachem bacteria? It seems to be converting quite slow. Also, my plants were kind of dying at the beginning but I’ve added some Seachem Excel and they’re doing better now but still have some dying parts in there. Is that having a large effect on my readings?
Images
  • 7C997391-A1AF-4AE8-A49C-8AE6345395A1.jpeg
  • 430E320E-A429-4F1A-8268-AFE1522D9215.jpeg
  • 79EB11FE-AE82-4554-AE83-6E4A8C9809F4.jpeg
  • 902D236D-CE1D-4646-B69D-3D32FC1EA60D.jpeg
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2017
1605 posts
1366 upvotes
Didi_beee wrote: So when do I stop adding ammonia? Once I have readings on nitrites? Once there are readings in nitrites, my cycle has started but my ammonia and nitrites are taking over 24 hrs to convert.
So I keep adding daily and testing daily until I see complete conversion within 24 hrs?

The darker green pic is after adding about 2ppm, lighter green picture is 36hrs after. Seems like nitrite hasn’t changed much since 24-36hrs. I didn’t bother doing the nitrate test because I hate that step lol... will do it when I really need to.

This is day 16 since my first ammonia dose and I have added a total of about 6-8ppm of ammonia in total.

Should I add more of my seachem bacteria? It seems to be converting quite slow. Also, my plants were kind of dying at the beginning but I’ve added some Seachem Excel and they’re doing better now but still have some dying parts in there. Is that having a large effect on my readings?
It is cycling, give it time. I think the key is to keep an ammonia source, though you probably still have enough for now. Others may say to keep it at 2ppm. The nitrites usually take the longest to go away (for me in a 75 gal tank was weeks).
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1256 posts
1449 upvotes
49.2827°N 123.1207°W
Didi_beee wrote: So when do I stop adding ammonia? Once I have readings on nitrites? Once there are readings in nitrites, my cycle has started but my ammonia and nitrites are taking over 24 hrs to convert.

There is sufficient ammonia now. Just let it sit and complete its cycle, let both ammonia and nitrites naturally go to zero.

There is no point doing a "24 hour test" right now because there is not enough bacteria built up to it to even convert the toxins yet.
Once your entire cycle is completed, you can then perform a "24 hour test". If there are still ammonia and nitrites left after 24 hours, wait it out until you're only left with nitrates. Redo the test until both ammonia/nitrites are gone within 24 hours, if it fails, repeat.

Decaying plants may contribute to ammonia levels, and since you already have enough, you don't need to add anymore.

The article that I linked should have answers to some of your questions, I would suggest going through that article again.

here's another article, maybe it'll help understand the concept a little more in another perspective:
https://www.buildyouraquarium.com/how-t ... ess-cycle/
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1256 posts
1449 upvotes
49.2827°N 123.1207°W
NBChick wrote: Try aquarium safe silicone, somebody in my local aquatics group used it to attach Nicecrew lights to his flex lid.
reporting back, it worked very well. I basically applied silicone around the mount (with no suction cups), next day they mounts were very secure.
Mar 7, 2011
743 posts
411 upvotes
Vernon
PetSmart has fluval tanks at 25% off again.

my treat trail says another 34 days until new coupon tho, not sure if a new account gets instant access.
Images
  • Screenshot_20200910-072528.png
RFD Aquarium forum come join us =)
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1256 posts
1449 upvotes
49.2827°N 123.1207°W
brigand wrote: PetSmart has fluval tanks at 25% off again.

my treat trail says another 34 days until new coupon tho, not sure if a new account gets instant access.
New account will get access to coupons, I tried before lol.

Btw, the coupon barcode is actually generic. However, each account can only use each code (15 20 25% off) once.
Jul 25, 2020
189 posts
133 upvotes
richmond,bc
To bad I'm already at capacity for places I can place a tank in my home. How about you guys? Safestart is cheap though so Imma buy that in case of emergencies thanks!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1256 posts
1449 upvotes
49.2827°N 123.1207°W
craxybuyer wrote: To bad I'm already at capacity for places I can place a tank in my home. How about you guys? Safestart is cheap though so Imma buy that in case of emergencies thanks!
safestart from where is cheap?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2005
1105 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Which tank are you guys thinking this time?
I'm thinking Spec because it seems like it uses the same media and filters as Flex.
Mar 7, 2011
743 posts
411 upvotes
Vernon
I have spec and flex, the spec sponge is a bit smaller than the flex. I found the spec didn't filter so well and I used a hob but that's just me. I do like the looks of spec but it's fairly small. good shrimp tank!

at work we have 2 chi and both filters were replaced with hob, which is too bad cause the original filters are pretty cool looking/sounding with the little light and all.

Id stay clear of edge, looks like a cleaning nightmare.
RFD Aquarium forum come join us =)
Jul 25, 2020
189 posts
133 upvotes
richmond,bc
Nvm. My petsmart app seems to think i'm in the US even though I chose a canadian location as my main store...
Jul 25, 2020
189 posts
133 upvotes
richmond,bc
Wait until your wife is emotionally attached to your betta or whatever and then convince her in a few months ;)
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1256 posts
1449 upvotes
49.2827°N 123.1207°W
brigand wrote: I have spec and flex, the spec sponge is a bit smaller than the flex. I found the spec didn't filter so well and I used a hob but that's just me. I do like the looks of spec but it's fairly small. good shrimp tank!

at work we have 2 chi and both filters were replaced with hob, which is too bad cause the original filters are pretty cool looking/sounding with the little light and all.

Id stay clear of edge, looks like a cleaning nightmare.
which model of hob do you use? What model/brand would you recommend?
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1609 posts
1433 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I took measurements today and since Monday, ammonia has went from 1ppm to 0 and nitrites from 5ppm to 0. My nitrates are about 40-80ppm now.

I will add another 2ppm of ammonia and hopefully it pasts the 24hr test.

I measured my tank pH again and its like 6.4 but my tap water pH is about 7.4 right now.

Once my tank has cycled, I will change about 60-70% of the water. Is it normal for the water to become that acidic within 3-4 weeks?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2017
1605 posts
1366 upvotes
Didi_beee wrote: I took measurements today and since Monday, ammonia has went from 1ppm to 0 and nitrites from 5ppm to 0. My nitrates are about 40-80ppm now.

I will add another 2ppm of ammonia and hopefully it pasts the 24hr test.

I measured my tank pH again and its like 6.4 but my tap water pH is about 7.4 right now.

Once my tank has cycled, I will change about 60-70% of the water. Is it normal for the water to become that acidic within 3-4 weeks?

Sounds good. What are you hoping to keep in the tank? Not sure where you're located, but here in Ottawa that's normal for pH to go in higher and drop because the water has no buffering capacity. I have crushed coral in my filter to buffer the pH a little because I keep African Cichlids which thrive in higher pH. Chasing pH levels is not a good practice, so either accept what it is, or go the route of coral substrate/in the filter type thing, don't use boosters or regularly adding baking soda IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
yau1225 wrote: which model of hob do you use? What model/brand would you recommend?
Aquaclears are the best. They don't try to force you into buying their own media cartridges.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)