Pets

RFD - Real Fish Discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 10:26 pm
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
824 upvotes
Vancouver
Didi_beee wrote: Also, I’m getting these black particles all over my tank. I can’t tell if its from my substrate or is it black algae? I started getting it the second week I added plants/water into tank. How can I clean this up with out uprooting my plants? They haven’t really established roots yet so any major movements in the substrate displaces them. I also have some brown/green algae too :(
I'm assuming you have no CO2 injection, so chances are you have your light on for too long. Algae only occurs when your light/co2/fertilizer are not in an equilibrium state. Easiest way to prevent/reduce algae growth is to reduce the number of hours your light is on for.
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
824 upvotes
Vancouver
brigand wrote: welcome @RX Renesis
both look great but your main is wow! which light?

on the flex, the canister is just beside the tank? not underneath?

also what type of CO2 set ups do you all use?
@RX Renesis has a gas tanker at his place, he then feeds lines into his tanks. Face With Tears Of Joy

I'm running a 5-lb cylinder with a CO2 Art Pro-SE Regulator.
Jul 25, 2020
163 posts
111 upvotes
richmond,bc
@RX Renesis LMAO send your image to fish for thought on youtube. I think you'll get a 5/5 from him!
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
418 posts
216 upvotes
Vernon
@Didi_beee dolfan said he adds coral inside his filter not to the substrate.

I wouldn't recommend mixing anything into soil substrate. I have Tropicana soil on-top of seachem fluorite because the flourite was cutting my cories whiskers. now about a year later the fluorite has come to the surface from gravel washes and it sucks. looks ugly and I'm sure my cories hate that it's in their way. one day soon I'll have to replace it.

I'm going to try a couple otocinclus and 4 galaxy raspboras with my Betta. my plants are doing pretty well and starting to fill out to provide some good hiding places. of course I'll have to keep an eye out just in case he'd rather be a loner.
Images
  • IMG_20200910_231553.jpg
RFD Aquarium forum come join us =)
Oct 3, 2008
54 posts
25 upvotes
Richmond, BC
LarryT778370 wrote:
Carpeting is beautiful... and is it Ludwigia palustris on the back?
Ludwigia Palustris in the flex is in the left back corner, in main tank is on the left front corner. As u can see the difference in light+co2 makes the plant super red vs no co2.
brigand wrote: welcome @RX Renesis
both look great but your main is wow! which light?

on the flex, the canister is just beside the tank? not underneath?

also what type of CO2 set ups do you all use?
Chihiros WRGB on the main tank, 4PM-10PM, co2 3PM-8PM

Canister is right beside the tank, once u get a siphon going the pump itself can pull the water into and out of the filter. Its getting the siphon started thats troublesome with the canister on the same level.

Main tank has 5lb bottle + CO2 Art Pro-SE regulator + aquario co2 diffuser
craxybuyer wrote: @RX Renesis LMAO send your image to fish for thought on youtube. I think you'll get a 5/5 from him!
never heard of them but will check them out

u guys can check out my IG for fish only @jfobscape
Jul 25, 2020
163 posts
111 upvotes
richmond,bc
For a 9 gallon fluval I feel you'd be safer with either a betta with a couple of bigger shrimp like amano and a snail or two if you manage to raise your PH. If you don't go for the betta then you can get ember tetras like RX Renesis or CPDs like brigand.
Aug 3, 2017
533 posts
361 upvotes
brigand wrote: @Didi_beee dolfan said he adds coral inside his filter not to the substrate.
I have very little experience with tanks so small (my smallest is a 10 gal I use for quarantining new fish), so I doubt it would have space in the filter for anything other than a sponge or cartridge.

Also have never kept betas, but my guess is that they’d be fine in whatever pH you adapt them to and no coral needed.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
418 posts
216 upvotes
Vernon
you both have the CO2 Art Pro-SE, is that the one to watch?
i need to brush up on co2 and take the plunge
Last edited by brigand on Sep 11th, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFD Aquarium forum come join us =)
Jan 13, 2005
465 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
One of my neon tetras are missing. I did water change last night and he was there then.
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
824 upvotes
Vancouver
brigand wrote: you both have the CO2 Art Pro-SE, is that the one to watch?
i need to brush up on co2 and take plunge
Good price for what you get. Its definitely not $40 aliexpress garbage lol.
Aug 3, 2017
533 posts
361 upvotes
iverson wrote: One of my neon tetras are missing. I did water change last night and he was there then.
I unfortunately just found a dead neon tetra being sucked into my filter in my 47 gal tank :(. Hopefully yours was just hiding.
Oct 3, 2008
54 posts
25 upvotes
Richmond, BC
brigand wrote: you both have the CO2 Art Pro-SE, is that the one to watch?
i need to brush up on co2 and take plunge
its one of the higher end regulators thats available within canada. there are plenty of other brands that are either more costly, or not sold within canada. Just make sure ur buying a dual STAGE regulator not just dual GAUGE.
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
824 upvotes
Vancouver
so this is my new ghetto setup... free 5 gallon tank off fb marketplace, amazon clipon light with aquaclear 30:

20200912_134718.jpg

This will prob be low demand plants only (no co2) tank. No plans for fish in this tank at this point.

Background plants: Bacopa caroliniana (excess stems transferred over from flex 15)
Foreground: Tropica 1-2grow Helanthium tenellum 'Green'

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 0 guests)

darkhorz1, craxybuyer, crustydragon