Pets

RFD - Real Fish Discussion

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2020 11:14 pm
Member
User avatar
Jan 13, 2005
465 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dolfan1980 wrote: I unfortunately just found a dead neon tetra being sucked into my filter in my 47 gal tank :(. Hopefully yours was just hiding.
Found him today. Moved some ornaments around seems like he may have been struck Inside the hollow space of one of them.
Sr. Member
Dec 10, 2006
534 posts
110 upvotes
Mississauga
Do you guys use any liquid fertilizers for your live plants? There’s so many different ones, its confusing. I see SeaChem Flourish, Flourish Excel, Flourish Advance, etc... Should I buy them all or just use one of them to start out with?
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2011
884 posts
829 upvotes
Vancouver
|Naruto| wrote: Do you guys use any liquid fertilizers for your live plants? There’s so many different ones, its confusing. I see SeaChem Flourish, Flourish Excel, Flourish Advance, etc... Should I buy them all or just use one of them to start out with?
i'm using a combination of Seachem Excel along with Thrive all-in-one (which I only switched over last week). Before switching to Thrive, I was using Tropica Premium Liquid Fertilizer.

I would suggest sticking with an "all-in-one" product, there are many out there that are similar to Thrive.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Mar 7, 2011
418 posts
216 upvotes
Vernon
I use seachem advance. i also use root tabs near rooted plants like amazon swords. I probably don't need both tho.

the advance really makes plants grow roots like crazy, wisteria goes nuts.

however I've been adding less and less to just a drop here and there now because of bad (brown) algae problems.

wondering if co2 would stop it, my lights are only 6 hours/day
RFD Aquarium forum come join us =)
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2011
884 posts
829 upvotes
Vancouver
brigand wrote: I use seachem advance. i also use root tabs near rooted plants like amazon swords. I probably don't need both tho.

the advance really makes plants grow roots like crazy, wisteria goes nuts.

however I've been adding less and less to just a drop here and there now because of bad (brown) algae problems.

wondering if co2 would stop it, my lights are only 6 hours/day
There are so many factors that causes algae growth, it may not necessary be the fertilizer you are using. CO2 may help as it would balance the equilibrium of the system, but it all comes down to trial and error lol.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Mar 7, 2011
418 posts
216 upvotes
Vernon
ya an expensive trial, I think it will be worth the investment, especially adding up the total $ loss in dead plants over time.

only 1 way to find out lol
RFD Aquarium forum come join us =)
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2011
884 posts
829 upvotes
Vancouver
brigand wrote: ya an expensive trial, I think it will be worth the investment, especially adding up the total $ loss in dead plants over time.

only 1 way to find out lol
Buy quality equipment, cry once then you won't have to worry about it.
Newbie
Oct 3, 2008
54 posts
25 upvotes
Richmond, BC
once u start using co2 ull be dosing less and less fertilizers. it will literally be just high light + co2 = anything will grow
Member
Jun 11, 2006
401 posts
372 upvotes
I haven't started cycling yet, but when I do, a friend offered to give me some dirty media to accelerate the cycle. From what I understand, that will help establish the good bacteria correct? However, does this mean I still need an ammonia source? If not, how do I test the water to see that it is ok?

Thanks!
Jr. Member
Jul 25, 2020
167 posts
117 upvotes
richmond,bc
The Master Test Api is a must for testing water but you do need an ammonia source which can be some fish or powdered/liquid ammonia chloride. If you go back to page 10 or so you'll find some discussion about it. Feel free to ask any questions, I think we all enjoy answering them to not only to help others but to help ourselves learn more too ;)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 25, 2008
1065 posts
482 upvotes
GTA
Ok so I might have did something bad to my bacteria but the algae growth all over my tank was bothering me so I decided to change my water (70%) and vacuum up whatever I could. I also took out some decor and scrubbed them down. I took out my filters and left them in the open air. I didn’t realize that this could kill the bacteria. After cleaning the tank, I tried another 24hr ammonia test. The ammonia disappeared within 24hrs but my nitrites was about 5ppm at 24 hr and 1ppm at 48hrs. Do I add more Stability again until my nitrites drop to 0?

I have reduced my light exposure to 8hrs a day now (was on for like 12hrs). C02 injection looks like another step I don’t have the time/patience to learn about so I will just stick to minimum light exposure to avoid the algae.
Jr. Member
Jul 25, 2020
167 posts
117 upvotes
richmond,bc
You don't let your filter media or decor dry out ever. The bacteria will die without water. Add some more stability before you did such a huge water change but I don't think you need to keep adding daily. Besides light are you going crazy on liquid fertilizer? If you tank is new and you just put in plants, good chance the plants are still in shock and acclimating so they haven't started taking in the nutrients and it becomes food for algae
Sr. Member
Aug 3, 2017
541 posts
375 upvotes
craxybuyer wrote: You don't let your filter media or decor dry out ever. The bacteria will die without water. Add some more stability before you did such a huge water change but I don't think you need to keep adding daily. Besides light are you going crazy on liquid fertilizer? If you tank is new and you just put in plants, good chance the plants are still in shock and acclimating so they haven't started taking in the nutrients and it becomes food for algae
Agree completely. Also remember, if you ever “clean” anything, always do it in a bucket of tank water, never the sink where chlorine is present. Filter, filter media, decorations, etc is always only ever cleaned using tank water and no additives.
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2011
884 posts
829 upvotes
Vancouver
Didi_beee wrote: Ok so I might have did something bad to my bacteria but the algae growth all over my tank was bothering me so I decided to change my water (70%) and vacuum up whatever I could. I also took out some decor and scrubbed them down. I took out my filters and left them in the open air. I didn’t realize that this could kill the bacteria.

I have reduced my light exposure to 8hrs a day now (was on for like 12hrs). C02 injection looks like another step I don’t have the time/patience to learn about so I will just stick to minimum light exposure to avoid the algae.
RIP bacteria, a moment of silence for those that left us. @dolfan1980 @craxybuyer

I would actually recommend turning your light down to 6 hrs a day. New tanks are more prone to algae growth and 8 hrs a day is basically inviting them to the party. Once the tank is established, you can up it towards 8 hours.
Member
Jun 11, 2006
401 posts
372 upvotes
craxybuyer wrote: The Master Test Api is a must for testing water but you do need an ammonia source which can be some fish or powdered/liquid ammonia chloride. If you go back to page 10 or so you'll find some discussion about it. Feel free to ask any questions, I think we all enjoy answering them to not only to help others but to help ourselves learn more too ;)
Ok, I ordered the water testing kit, and plan to use some fish food for the ammonia source. Google tells me to add the amount of food that I would normally feed the fish...but I don't know what that is yet, since I've never had fish, lol. Any suggestions? Do I wait to see the ammonia spike before I add the good bacteria?

As a side note, I resold the tank I bought on kijiji and just went ahead an ordered the 20G Marina kit that you earlier mentioned. After looking at the additional stuff I would have to buy, buying used didn't save me any money since it was a bigger tank! Anyway, the tank came in early, but I still want to test it for leaks before I cycle.

Another random question, where do you all buy those nice aquarium rocks? I see that that they sell them at aquarium stores, but can't I just get them at a landscaping store, as long as I verify they are inert? (soak them in water, test pH) I was thinking of slate. I'd like to glue some plants on them. (On that note, does anyone buy plants off Kijiji, seems way cheaper than the pet store?)

I think my daughter has settled on rummy nose tetras in addition to the betta she wants.

Top