Pets

RFD - Real Fish Discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 10:26 pm
Dec 10, 2006
534 posts
110 upvotes
Mississauga
yau1225 wrote: i'm using a combination of Seachem Excel along with Thrive all-in-one (which I only switched over last week). Before switching to Thrive, I was using Tropica Premium Liquid Fertilizer.

I would suggest sticking with an "all-in-one" product, there are many out there that are similar to Thrive.
Where do you buy your Thrive? Found it on Amazon but it's more expensive than the other online stores
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2016
1646 posts
2943 upvotes
Toronto
|Naruto| wrote: Where do you buy your Thrive? Found it on Amazon but it's more expensive than the other online stores
I usually find AngelFins in Guleph carries a lot of products and price is really reasonable. I've done a few pick-ups when I visit Waterloo for family.
[FS] SportChek GC at 87%
I love great flight deals
Oct 3, 2008
54 posts
25 upvotes
Richmond, BC
stack1 wrote: Ok, I ordered the water testing kit, and plan to use some fish food for the ammonia source. Google tells me to add the amount of food that I would normally feed the fish...but I don't know what that is yet, since I've never had fish, lol. Any suggestions? Do I wait to see the ammonia spike before I add the good bacteria?
u add the bacteria on day 1, dose per bottle instructions. as for using fish food, add a pinch or so everyday, but remember by the time u get any amonia reading, it'll prob be from the rotting food that u added a good few days ago. if u can get some used media from someone local to u, it'll help u jump start ur cycle a lot faster. check fb for any local fish groups thats willing to give up some used media, or in exchange for a new sponge or something.
Oct 3, 2008
54 posts
25 upvotes
Richmond, BC
i forgot to mention, but ive seen it mentioned a few times here before regarding using seachem excel (or any other "carbon supplement"). they are not a true carbon supplement, there is no such thing as a carbon supplement besides real co2 injection. what these carbon supplements really are, is they are an algecide that kills free floating algae spore in the water, preventing them from developing and consuming ur fertz. this in return causes ur plants to intake more of ur available fertz, instead of fighting for ferts with the algae. some ppl have reported these carbon supplements melting their plants, or worst killing ur live stock. use at ur own risk.
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
824 upvotes
Vancouver
|Naruto| wrote: Where do you buy your Thrive? Found it on Amazon but it's more expensive than the other online stores
aquarium direct, I got free shipping because I did a huge order.
Dec 10, 2006
534 posts
110 upvotes
Mississauga
yau1225 wrote: aquarium direct, I got free shipping because I did a huge order.
Ah ok thanks. Hard part is finding $99 worth of items to buy to get free shipping lol
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
824 upvotes
Vancouver
|Naruto| wrote: Ah ok thanks. Hard part is finding $99 worth of items to buy to get free shipping lol
I got the 2L version, that's already $57? Very easy to find $99...trust me lol.
Jul 25, 2020
163 posts
111 upvotes
richmond,bc
lol 2L of root fertilizer I think you'll survive two pandemics with that amount :D
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
824 upvotes
Vancouver
craxybuyer wrote: lol 2L of root fertilizer I think you'll survive two pandemics with that amount :D
its not root specific, thrive is an all-in-one fertilizer. Contains many of the nutrients required for plant growth.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4369 posts
1634 upvotes
GTA
How many of you have tried outdoor tubs or ponds? Obviously, being in Canada, we don't have a very long season to have these but I might give it another try next summer. The issue is it's too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer

I tried endlers last year in a container around 15-20 gallons. I put in some water hyacinth for cover and it worked pretty well... even had some breeding and babies. But after a while, they just started dying off. It was probably too hot and I should have had some air running.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
418 posts
216 upvotes
Vernon
my neighbour used to have goldfish in a small outdoor pond.
its amazing that they lived throughout the year, even when the pond would freeze completely over winter.
one year he had enough of the fish pond and he removed the overhead netting.
soon enough a blue heron knew exactly what was up and ate every fish in a day.
i did manage to take this photo when the heron was scoping the pond from his roof.
anyway thats my pond story :p
Images
  • DA0828FD-10AE-4886-9500-569D3CDAE6CB.jpeg
RFD Aquarium forum come join us =)
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
418 posts
216 upvotes
Vernon
here's my Betta in his new home.

since I have so many guppies I thought its better to test run with a few of them first off. so far he likes company lol.

I had to take out the ottos, they were freaking out before Betta even got in there. weird since Otto's are so chill usually.

and the carpet is growing, im really surprised
Images
  • Lumii_20200917_181638916.jpg
  • 00000IMG_00000_BURST20200917181725778_COVER~2.jpg
RFD Aquarium forum come join us =)
Jan 13, 2005
465 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I noticed this snail today.
Do you guys have any? Is he a pest or is he good for the ecosystem?
Images
  • 20200917_213649_(1).jpg
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
824 upvotes
Vancouver
iverson wrote: I noticed this snail today.
Do you guys have any? Is he a pest or is he good for the ecosystem?
to the toilet it goes! (jk I have no idea what kinda snail that is).
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
824 upvotes
Vancouver
brigand wrote: and the carpet is growing, im really surprised
the carpet is nice...what kinda carpeting plant is that?

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

zsj495