• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2020 9:49 pm
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
418 posts
216 upvotes
Vernon
ramshorn.
snails breed like no tomorrow and poopy.
some people like them, I personally don't but they do eat algae.
they usually sneak in with plants.
RFD Aquarium forum come join us =)
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4368 posts
1630 upvotes
GTA
I personally have no problems with snails. I even throw in some malaysian trumpet snails in my tanks on purpose.

Ramshorn snails are great too but they leave their eggs everywhere. Other than that, I like them. They go especially well in shrimp tanks.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
418 posts
216 upvotes
Vernon
@yau1225 that's the seed from Amazon.
I think it's just called small double leaf.
$11 for a big bag. took about 3 days to germinate then i filled the tank.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1061 posts
477 upvotes
GTA
craxybuyer wrote: Besides light are you going crazy on liquid fertilizer? If you tank is new and you just put in plants, good chance the plants are still in shock and acclimating so they haven't started taking in the nutrients and it becomes food for algae
I’m only adding about 2/3 capful of the Seachem Excel every other day, so maybe about 2-3mL and 1mL of Seachem Iron for my red plants. One of my plants have been doing really well. But my java fern (I think) and the red one isn’t really flourishing.

Okay so for the past week, I have been doing the 24hr test after doing the major water change. My ammonia disappears after 24hrs but my nitrites take 48hrs. This is after 2 tests. Is nitrites suppose to be gone at 24hr? After 24 hr, my nitrites is about 2-5ppm and gone after 48hrs.

I think my tank is cycled but nitrites are taking longer to disappear. How should I proceed?
Images
  • F194B02A-1E43-4B45-9151-B55887728ED8.jpeg
  • E40C8D27-6992-4D80-8B08-C9481D9D048A.jpeg
  • 6A1383BF-B3D7-4572-899F-7FCF57707328.jpeg
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
822 upvotes
Vancouver
Didi_beee wrote:
Okay so for the past week, I have been doing the 24hr test after doing the major water change. My ammonia disappears after 24hrs but my nitrites take 48hrs. This is after 2 tests. Is nitrites suppose to be gone at 24hr? After 24 hr, my nitrites is about 2-5ppm and gone after 48hrs.

I think my tank is cycled but nitrites are taking longer to disappear. How should I proceed?
bacteria that converts nitrites take a longer time to reproduce (compared to ammonia). Don't do any water changes, just let the bacteria build up. The more water change you do the longer it is gonna take.

If you're doing water changes because of your algae issue, then just turn the light down even more. I don't see that there should be any issues with 6 hours of lights like I mentioned before. How long is your light on now?
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
822 upvotes
Vancouver
Sept 18 (7 weeks exactly since day 1 of plants going in the tank) :

20200918_194551.jpg

I added some plants along the way since then.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
418 posts
216 upvotes
Vernon
@Didi_beee the middle photo is an amazon sword plant.

if you do happen to buy java fern, make sure not to plant it into the soil. keep it above the soil, wedged between rocks ect.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2016
1645 posts
2941 upvotes
Toronto
brigand wrote: awesome congrats!
you're gonna be blown away when you see how small the babies are =)
I think I need to do some work / modifications regarding to the fluval flex filter intake..

It’s hard to have a berried crystal using tap water... I hate to say this, but a few of them did die in the beginning due to my mistake Loudly Crying Face
[FS] SportChek GC at 87%
I love great flight deals
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1061 posts
477 upvotes
GTA
yau1225 wrote: bacteria that converts nitrites take a longer time to reproduce (compared to ammonia). Don't do any water changes, just let the bacteria build up. The more water change you do the longer it is gonna take.

If you're doing water changes because of your algae issue, then just turn the light down even more. I don't see that there should be any issues with 6 hours of lights like I mentioned before. How long is your light on now?
I only changed the water once after the algae incident. My light is on about 5-7hrs a day now. Sometimes I forget to turn on the light now. I should probably get a timer, but there seems to be minimal algae now.

Do I just keep adding ammonia and doing the 24 hr test until my nitrites finally disappear within 24hrs?
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1061 posts
477 upvotes
GTA
brigand wrote: @Didi_beee the middle photo is an amazon sword plant.

if you do happen to buy java fern, make sure not to plant it into the soil. keep it above the soil, wedged between rocks ect.
Ah thanks. I googled both plants but mine doesn’t look like any of them at all. Maybe mine are dying. Should I uproot it and wedge them between rocks like a java fern?
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
418 posts
216 upvotes
Vernon
no, not that type. just leave it be.
plants take awhile to adjust, sometimes the leaves melt and new ones grow, other times they melt..and that's that.
time will tell.

if it has roots like an ordinary plant, it goes into the soil.

but plants like Java fern grow out of a rhizome and go above the soil

https://www.wikihow.com/Plant-a-Java-Fern

[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
418 posts
216 upvotes
Vernon
@LarryT778370 just cut and put a sponge in the clip on part, that should be enough to keep them out.

my shrimps met their fate from eachother. they bred like crazy, had enough food but for some reason they went cannibal after a couple years.
every time one would molt they'd eat eachother.

needless to say I have one left. I guess he's the top of the food chain lol.

you'll love the babies, super cool =)