Pets

RFD - Real Fish Discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 11:13 pm
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
825 upvotes
Vancouver
Didi_beee wrote: I only changed the water once after the algae incident. My light is on about 5-7hrs a day now. Sometimes I forget to turn on the light now. I should probably get a timer, but there seems to be minimal algae now.

Do I just keep adding ammonia and doing the 24 hr test until my nitrites finally disappear within 24hrs?
You can get those kasa smart plugs (super affordable), I have about 6 of them now for both of my tanks. There should be a deal at Bestbuy right now, 2 for $22.99, I picked up a pack earlier this week.

ya exactly, just keep testing until it passes the test. It requires some patience which is extremely annoying lol. Just let it be, don't change water until it passes, then you can do a huge water change before you add livestock.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4371 posts
1635 upvotes
GTA
LarryT778370 wrote: My first pregnant shrimp I think... Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

1B8E7F4E-CD22-4A00-9D34-A4BDD43AD1A8.jpeg
Nice! Caridina shrimp can be more rewarding than neos. The babies come out as basically mini versions of the adults whereas neos typically take a while to colour up.

and the fact that you can mix different varieties and come up with some interesting combinations is fun.
Oct 15, 2008
30 posts
32 upvotes
Here's my flex, really settling in now at about 8 weeks running.

Fish are seniors from my big tank that I had to shut down.
20200919_114840.jpg
Nov 8, 2003
324 posts
270 upvotes
Once my bigger 20 gallon became cycled, I picked up fish here and there and now it's fully stocked:

Everyone is getting along well in there. The ember tetras were transferred from my Fluval Flex. In the Flex, the embers were pale, timid, always hiding in one corner and only swimming out a bit or for food. In the bigger tank, they're swimming all over the place back and forth as well as schooling with the energetic Harlequin Rasboras sometimes. Starting to color up nicely into their orange as well.

Flex now has a male betta, 6 neon tetras and red shrimp:

Originally bought 6 shrimp a while back when first stocking the 9 gallon and 2 died within a week. The 4 remaining are healthy and one of them became pregnant and had babies as shown above.
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
825 upvotes
Vancouver
Scribblez wrote: Once my bigger 20 gallon became cycled, I picked up fish here and there and now it's fully stocked:

aqadvisor not working for me?
Nov 8, 2003
324 posts
270 upvotes
yau1225 wrote: aqadvisor not working for me?
The Aqadvisor website is weird, it only works for me under certain circumstances. It won't work for me if I'm using a proxy and sometimes I have to switch browsers or go on mobile.
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
825 upvotes
Vancouver
Scribblez wrote: The Aqadvisor website is weird, it only works for me under certain circumstances. It won't work for me if I'm using a proxy and sometimes I have to switch browsers or go on mobile.
interesting, I had to turn on wifi for it to work.
Jan 1, 2013
89 posts
93 upvotes
Ontario
darkfrost77 wrote: Here's my flex, really settling in now at about 8 weeks running.

Fish are seniors from my big tank that I had to shut down.

20200919_114840.jpg
Ok, have to ask, what is the carpet? how did you get such perfect coverage in 8 weeks?!
Oct 15, 2008
30 posts
32 upvotes
CauseBurn wrote: Ok, have to ask, what is the carpet? how did you get such perfect coverage in 8 weeks?!
I've gotten a couple of PMs too, so I'll put the info here:

The carpeting plant is Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'. I chose it as its considered to be one of the easiest carpetting plants to grow, and it seemed a little easier to maintain than the dwarf hairgrass I used on my old tank as cutting that was a pain.

It filled in FAST, for a few reasons.

1 - I started off with a lot of it, I bought a small portion from a seller on GTAAquaria who gave me a ton. Here it is right after planting (July 30):
20200730_172434.jpg

2 - I've added an extra DIY light, I repurposed a bright surplus LED that was originally designed to be strapped onto a car for off-roading, I think it was 720 lumens. I kept the stock light too, but just moved it back to keep the new light centered - that way I could keep the RGB as well. Not shown is the massive heatsink on the lid as the leds get quite hot on full, but I only run them around 40-50% of max.
20200920_205258.jpg

3 - I've got a pressurized CO2 tank with a diffuser in the intake chamber for the filter. I originally had it in the same area as the pump, but was getting too many bubbles blowing around. I also add a dose of macro and micro fertilizer, supposed to be alternating everyday - but honestly only on days I remember to, with a 50% water change once a week (okay, sometimes 2 weeks). I do a trim every 2-3 weeks.

I'm a tinkerer, so I like to mod. I'm planning to put everything on this tank on auto-pilot as much as possible as I had on my previous 46G. When I get time, I will setup a sunrise/sunset schedule on the lights, and automate the fertilizer dosing, and co2 as right now it depends on my wildly inconsistent schedule lately, so some days it goes without co2 or the brighter set of lights when I forget.

Looking at the old pic, and what it looks like now, it looks like the S.Repens is really struggling with the high light - I may have to swap it with something else.

Hope this helps,
Oct 15, 2008
30 posts
32 upvotes
Scribblez wrote:
Flex now has a male betta, 6 neon tetras and red shrimp:
Your betta behaves with shrimp? And babies at that?? You are really lucky!

I tried that once, shrimp were no match...
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
825 upvotes
Vancouver
@darkfrost77 thats alot of monte carlo to start off, honestly the carpet didnt expand THAT much over 8 weeks as the coverage was already 80%+.
Oct 15, 2008
30 posts
32 upvotes
yau1225 wrote: @darkfrost77 thats alot of monte carlo to start off, honestly the carpet didnt expand THAT much over 8 weeks as the coverage was already 80%+.
Absolutely, it was a ton to start with, but I have also trimmed it down 3 times now. It pearls like crazy when I have the added light on. It has also rooted down really well, almost the full distance through the substrate. I used flourite black this time and was unsure if the fine roots would hold, but it did.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2016
1647 posts
2944 upvotes
Toronto
Any success here for growing carpeting with flux's original light and non co2? I am having a hard time growing Marsilea hirsuta... :(
[FS] SportChek GC at 87%
I love great flight deals
Jun 21, 2011
882 posts
825 upvotes
Vancouver
LarryT778370 wrote: Any success here for growing carpeting with flux's original light and non co2? I am having a hard time growing Marsilea hirsuta... :(
i think with no co2 injection, you're gonna have a hard time having a thick carpet (any species) . You're gonna be waiting for 6 months+ (from what I saw on youtube professionals).