Automotive

RFD Reviews: Submit a Dash Cam review for a chance to get 1 of 4 $25 Amazon gift cards

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2021 2:52 pm
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
15332 posts
29085 upvotes
Scarborough

RFD Reviews: Submit a Dash Cam review for a chance to get 1 of 4 $25 Amazon gift cards

We know a lot of you own some of the latest and greatest products around. We’re hoping to tap into that wealth of information and use your first hand experiences in our RedFlagDeals Reviews section.

The first product we're looking to get some member reviews for is Automotive Dash Cams and we're going to send $25 Amazon.ca gift cards to four members who participate.

Here's what we're looking for in each review:

• Product name
  • Your written review
  • Photos are recommended but not required
  • The retailer you purchased it from
  • The price you paid

Here's an example review for a different product:
Dyson V7B Cordless Vacuum
https://www.ebay.ca/e/sales-events/dyson

Price: $279.99 (refurbished)
Store: Dyson Outlet on eBay

I bought my vacuum from the official Dyson outlet store on ebay as a refurbished item for $279.99 last year during the first months of the pandemic lockdown.

I live in a small apartment and having a cordless vacuum makes cleaning so convenient. It came with a brush tool, a crevice tool and a floor attachment. There are 2 suction settings - regular and max. With regular suction, you get about 20-25 minutes of cleaning time; with max, the battery lasts about 5 minutes. Full charging time takes about 3 hours. Just clean as you go and you’ll never worry about losing power while cleaning.

I use it all the time and it makes cleaning fun - as much fun as one can have quarantined and going crazy from all the lockdown and isolation, hahaha.

There’s no minimum or maximum length, however a one-liner review with no photos isn’t likely to be selected as one of our favourites.

*** Please post your reviews in this thread or submit them via email to support@redflagdeals.com with "RFD Reviews" as the subject. ***

This opportunity will close on June 3, 2021 and we will private message each of the four members selected to receive a $25 Amazon.ca gift card at that time.

Thanks to all who participate and for those of you who don't own a dash cam, stay tuned because we'll be doing this regularly with a wide assortment of different products over the coming months.
Last edited by TomRFD on May 24th, 2021 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated with additional submission information
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
13 replies
Feb 26, 2011
833 posts
885 upvotes
Calgary
Where do I submit my review to? Just PM you?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4922 posts
2504 upvotes
Toronto
jwslam wrote: Where do I submit my review to? Just PM you?
Good question. There is a link to reviews in the OP - if you follow that you can only read reviews or make comments to existing reviews. I don't see a way to post a review.
Apr 25, 2007
974 posts
86 upvotes
Markham
I want to participate, but no where to post the review
RFD makes me poor =(
Feb 16, 2014
770 posts
194 upvotes
London
For each participant who spent time to write a through review, they deserve to have each at least a 25 bucks gift card. You will play a role model like a consumer review website as a professional business model without spending a dime? Not to mention that the site traffic will be higher and more adds will come through! All of which will be rewarded only by a 25 bucks gift card for just four people? I am telling this, because I am a critic writer for product reviews and I get rewards because I am deserved. I spent time to give a through review and it will be appreciated by little reward each. I expected more than this from you Tom. Before banning a user for telling this truth and revealing your sneaky business model, think a second for what I just said. No, thank you. Passed!
Oct 29, 2012
66 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
My Dashcam Review:

Product name = Sentry Mode
The retailer you purchased it from = Tesla
The price you paid = $52,990 but comes with a fully electric car , the worlds most advanced driving system and top rated safety. This is not including 8k rebate in BC/QC

This sentry mode dash cam is built into the car. 4 cameras surround. It has literally saved me thousands from 2 accidents, one of which I was accused of and later exonerated of due to the sentry dash cam. In addition to my personal experience it has assisted law enforcement world wide and also helped with various criminal investigations.

This what you were looking for:-)
Images
  • D0D0D3D5-0202-45F3-8E80-604F72BEF233.jpeg
  • 1159871A-70B0-4E19-B9CF-29374E97F1CF.jpeg
  • 8F4B5B53-1ADF-4914-B9BD-A9AE73BC4405.jpeg
  • BE534D4C-AEB1-47A2-BA3F-EB7A2D06A8E1.jpeg
Oct 17, 2012
47 posts
10 upvotes
Product Name: VanTop H610 10" 2.5K Mirror Dash Cam for Cars with Full Touch Screen, Waterproof Backup Camera Rear View Mirror Camera, Enhanced Night Vision with Sony Starvis Sensor, Parking Assistance
Store: Amazon
Price: $116.99

I bought this dash cam since January 15, 2021 and I have been using it until now. This dash cam has very good quality during daytime and night time . The storage supports up to 128GB which can last you about 10 hours of recording. With Sony Starvis Sensor, it gets good enhanced night vision.
Images
  • vantop.jpg
May 28, 2016
331 posts
120 upvotes
So first you had someone write a series of "The Best xxx" that is truly a joke. The reviews probably just copy and pasted and are often wrong. (did they sort from the worst to the best just by price?)

Then you had this?

How about hiring someone to improve RFD web homepage? So I can actually see deal updates?
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12055 posts
4368 upvotes
Toronto
So you get 4 participant yet? I don't want to spend time to rewrite a review, upload a photo /video and end up the entry is full.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Sep 23, 2013
553 posts
577 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thinkware FA200 2-channel

I did quite a bit of research before choosing the FA200, as there are quite a number of options and features in the market at a wide range of price points. My priorities (in order) were:
  1. Ease of Use. I wanted something reliable that I could just “set it and forget it”. My hope is that I would never need to use it. But if I did, it would be ready for me
  2. Minimal Size. This ties to #1 in that I wanted something small that I could tuck behind my rearview camera and leave it there. No LCD screen on the back. Nothing expensive that I would need to lock it up.
  3. Good parking mode
  4. Decent Image Quality. I don’t drive a whole lot at night and I park in a secured, well-lit parkade at home so stellar night time performance wasn’t critical.

With that criteria in mind. I bought the Thinkware FA200 2-channel at Visions for $180 after price-matching BlackboxMyCar.

With 2 and half months of usage, here is my review:

Installation was relatively easy after some help from youtube. The included hardwire kit was very much welcome, but I did need to buy wiretaps from Amazon to complete the install. The included 16gb microsd card was fine, but I wanted more. So I also invested in a Samsung Pro Endurance 64gb card with no compatibility issues. I did try a Sandisk high endurance card first, but the unit would not accept it despite numerous troubleshooting attempts. So I returned that.

The Thinkware app was very buggy, and to this day, I don’t bother with it. I just updated the and configure the unit settings by inserting the sd card into a computer and running the desktop app. This method is extremely user-friendly and configurability is quite good.

Parking mode has been working very well. Every time I turn on the car I get an audible report with how many visual (motion-sensor) and impact incidents have occurred.

Picture quality has been good enough for me. 1080p front and 720p rear at 30fps. License plates clearly visible during the day, struggles at night, as expected.

The last part of my review I wanted to talk about installation. I called around and companies were asking for $250+ installation fees due to it being dual-channel. Given this is more than the cost of the unit, I wasn’t too keen on that. As a DIY novice and electronics rookie, I thought it would be fun to teach myself this. Rest assured that for everyone like me, installation isn’t as bad as you might think. Nothing like installing a head unit or anything like that. Getting that professional-looking install without a dinky wire hanging down to your cigarette lighter is very much doable. Of course, if you want to support your local car audio technician, that would very much be welcome as well.

At time of writing, the FA200 has been supplanted by the F200 Pro in Thinkware's lineup, albeit at a higher price point. The main differences being a higher-resolution rear cam (now 1080p) and better night vision. This has pushed remaining stock of the FA200 down in price which makes it an even more compelling buy, should you want one.
Last edited by hartzfizzo on May 25th, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RFD Staff
Jan 6, 2008
2640 posts
4209 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote: So you get 4 participant yet? I don't want to spend time to rewrite a review, upload a photo /video and end up the entry is full.
Hey, MP3_SKY, we're actually looking for as many reviews as possible -- we'll pick four from all the submissions and send the gift cards to them.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
4358 posts
3914 upvotes
Richmond Hill
VIOFO A119 V3
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33030968874.html

Price: $115.62 USD
Store: VIOFO Official Store on AliExpress

I purchased this dashcam from the official VIOFO store on AliExpress a few months ago in March 2021 when there was a sitewide sale. There are frequent events and coupons on AliExpress that create some pretty amazing deals!

The package I purchased included a GPU Mount, Hardwire Kit, and CPL Lens Filter. Shipping might not be as fast as local, but even during this busy time it arrived in just over two weeks.

I've previously had the VIOFO A119S in another car, and I knew the A119 V3 wouldn't disappoint. It's a budget priced priced cam but jam-packed with features. The night vision and parking mode are great at capturing plates to ensure any incidents can be saved with details. I still recommend verbally saying plates of sketchy cars for safety though!
Images
  • VIOFO A119v3.jpg
RFD Staff
Jan 6, 2008
2640 posts
4209 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, all! Check your PMs to see if you won!