Fashion & Beauty

The RFD traditional wet shaving thread (Double edge and straight razor talk)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2020 10:35 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1473 upvotes
Pickering
Vacillator wrote: So, did anybody get any new shaving gear for Christmas?
Gear? Omega boar hair brush and Balzano blades. I also got a tub of Geo F. Trumper "GFT" and some Cella soft soap.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
Edmonton
JohnyBGood wrote: I got my brother a Dorco Prime set and the awesome customer service people sent me a bonus set when I told them about inner rips inside the box making it looked use. Unfortunately, their razor + blade combo isn't good. In addition to having a really bad shave, I was left with deep cuts (mustache & upper chin took a while to heal). I tried a Personna blade with better results and a Dorco blade in my Merkur 23c, which was better still, but nothing came close to the unbelievable smoothness of 23c + Personna. I need to accept that my initial research brought me to the best combo and to stop looking elsewhere.
That's too bad. Did you have a good look at the razor itself to make sure that whatever caused the damage to the box didn't also misalign the razor? It almost sounds like you could have a bent safety bar. The razor is supposed to be quite mild.
AudiDude wrote: Gear? Omega boar hair brush and Balzano blades. I also got a tub of Geo F. Trumper "GFT" and some Cella soft soap.
Nice. I got a tub of the Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream (awesome) and a bottle of Lucky Tiger aftershave/face tonic, which I absolutely love.
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1501 posts
369 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Vacillator wrote: That's too bad. Did you have a good look at the razor itself to make sure that whatever caused the damage to the box didn't also misalign the razor? It almost sounds like you could have a bent safety bar. The razor is supposed to be quite mild.

Nice. I got a tub of the Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream (awesome) and a bottle of Lucky Tiger aftershave/face tonic, which I absolutely love.
The contents were perfectly fine, it's just that the centre cardboard piece that was supposed to hold the razor in place had been ripped out (same thing on the second set they sent). It's only an issue if you plan on gifting it. But, I did examine the razor and blade for symmetry...everything was perfect (twist to open design doesn't bend the blade, like my 23c does). I had such enormous luck w/ the 23c + Personna combo (and not having to replace blades) that I just assumed my soft beard was the reason. I'm finding all other products "bad", by comparison. I was keeping an open mind, but now I'm closing it. :)

I always mix in a bit of cheap Nivea cream w/ my TOBS grapefruit (1:1, or 1:2) and the same scent comes through. TOBS is OK, but I am in love w/ my RazoRock XXX croap...

Is it true that Lucky Tiger's scent only lasts a bit? I had it in my Amazon.ca Wish List @$18.13, but I would like to finish the stuff I currently have before ordering more, which may take years. I go heavy on Thayers witch hazel and light on aftershave.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
Edmonton
JohnyBGood wrote: The contents were perfectly fine, it's just that the centre cardboard piece that was supposed to hold the razor in place had been ripped out (same thing on the second set they sent). It's only an issue if you plan on gifting it. But, I did examine the razor and blade for symmetry...everything was perfect (twist to open design doesn't bend the blade, like my 23c does). I had such enormous luck w/ the 23c + Personna combo (and not having to replace blades) that I just assumed my soft beard was the reason. I'm finding all other products "bad", by comparison. I was keeping an open mind, but now I'm closing it. :)
That's great if you're happy with your setup, then stick with it. I was just surprised that your experience was that bad with the included razor, which is probably a Weishi 9306 model (the same as included in the Micro Touch One set). I've got one and it's actually quite a nice, mild razor and the quality control is miles ahead of most Chinese razors.
I always mix in a bit of cheap Nivea cream w/ my TOBS grapefruit (1:1, or 1:2) and the same scent comes through. TOBS is OK, but I am in love w/ my RazoRock XXX croap...
Try the Body Shop's Maca Root shaving cream sometime. It's $16 for the tub, but you can often get it on sale for even less. It's fantastic stuff but the scent is rather innocuous - it just smells like soap, which I'm OK with.
Is it true that Lucky Tiger's scent only lasts a bit? I had it in my Amazon.ca Wish List @$18.13, but I would like to finish the stuff I currently have before ordering more, which may take years. I go heavy on Thayers witch hazel and light on aftershave.
Lucky Tiger smells great going on (like oranges), but the scent doesn't stick around for very long (like only a couple of minutes). It has no alcohol, and does have Witch Hazel as an ingredient, so it's very calming to the face if you're feeling a bit of irritation. I'd say it's less of a traditional aftershave and more of a face tonic. What I know is that it leaves my face feeling like it's been moisturized and calmed. I either use it alone, or use it first before putting on an alcohol-based aftershave. The stuff's been around forever, so they must be doing something right.
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Nov 6, 2008
212 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener
My brother brought me two tubes of Palmolive Classic. It's probably my favourite shaving cream. At the current exchange rate, this cream cost $2.50 in France (taxes included). Here it's usually sold around $10.00 plus taxes and shipping. I told him to bring 4, but he heard 2 :( . I think I have enough soap/cream to last me two years. During that time, hopefully I will have the chance to either go visit him or he will have the chance to come visit me again.

Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
Edmonton
patrickrfd wrote: My brother brought me two tubes of Palmolive Classic. It's probably my favourite shaving cream. At the current exchange rate, this cream cost $2.50 in France (taxes included). Here it's usually sold around $10.00 plus taxes and shipping. I told him to bring 4, but he heard 2 :( . I think I have enough soap/cream to last me two years. During that time, hopefully I will have the chance to either go visit him or he will have the chance to come visit me again.
Tell him to get you some Palmolive Shave Sticks while he's at it. I love those.
Nov 6, 2008
212 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener
Vacillator wrote: Tell him to get you some Palmolive Shave Sticks while he's at it. I love those.
I want to try the Palmolive shave stick, but was unable to find one in France.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
Edmonton
patrickrfd wrote: I want to try the Palmolive shave stick, but was unable to find one in France.
I got mine in the UK, but maybe they're not sold in French retail stores? Amazon.fr has them for 2.57 Euros, which is a bit expensive, but not terrible. They last a long time.
Nov 6, 2008
212 posts
23 upvotes
Kitchener
Vacillator wrote: I got mine in the UK, but maybe they're not sold in French retail stores? Amazon.fr has them for 2.57 Euros, which is a bit expensive, but not terrible. They last a long time.
Are they available in most supermarkets in England? I could ask one of my uncles to bring one when he visits from England. I just realise how dumb I was for not asking him much earlier.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
Edmonton
patrickrfd wrote: Are they available in most supermarkets in England? I could ask one of my uncles to bring one when he visits from England. I just realise how dumb I was for not asking him much earlier.
Not sure about the supermarkets, but Boots should have them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
547 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Sum_guy wrote: astrolad

Go to the dollar store and buy a cheap coin bank to put the used razor blades in. It's something you realize you need after you already need it. It's much safer then just dumping the blades into the trash.
You can ask at a pharmacy counter for a yellow blade saver. They are free to diabetic or needle users, for safe disposal at home.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1768 posts
363 upvotes
Vacillator wrote: So, did anybody get any new shaving gear for Christmas?
I got a new 'Bazooka' razor, my wife got the basic (cheap) one both from Italian Barber. Now I'll stop finding mine all gummed up in the shower. Also got a tube of Proraso Sensitive Skin shaving cream and a bottle of the XXX (tea tree oil) aftershave.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1473 upvotes
Pickering
Vacillator wrote: Not sure about the supermarkets, but Boots should have them.
Boots? Holy flashback Batman! I forgot all about them.
Sum_guy wrote: I got a new 'Bazooka' razor, my wife got the basic (cheap) one both from Italian Barber. Now I'll stop finding mine all gummed up in the shower. Also got a tube of Proraso Sensitive Skin shaving cream and a bottle of the XXX (tea tree oil) aftershave.
I bought my GF these for Christmas:

The hardest thing was giving her the stuff and not keeping it for myself. :razz: The Acca Kappa Muscio Bianco is one of my favourite scents (also hers). A while ago she bought me Acca Kappa almond shaving soap and a metal shaving bowl. That is the most amazing shaving soap I have used to date. A 30 second load leaves you with enough to face lather rinse/splash and face lather again about five times. It's an ugly looking soap they don't make anymore, and I hope the new ones are just as good.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
Edmonton
Anyone else using a Schick Injector-type razor? I picked up a couple a few weeks ago at an antique mall. One's an adjustable and the other is not. Blades are still being sold and are even available on Amazon.ca for $6.99 for a magazine with 7 blades in it. More expensive than DE blades to be sure, but because they are thicker, the consensus is that they last longer. Ten shaves or more per blade seems to be fairly commonly achieved.

Anyway, I'm blown away by this razor's manoeuvrability, efficiency and smoothness. If you see one, I'd suggest picking it up, grabbing some blades, and giving it a try. I think you'll love it.