Fashion & Beauty

The RFD traditional wet shaving thread (Double edge and straight razor talk)

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2020 10:35 pm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 5, 2006
2751 posts
234 upvotes
Pottertons wrote: Nice. That's great to hear and glad I could help.
If you're ever looking for some soaps, there's an artisan from Ontario called 'Purely Skinful Handmade Essentials. Vey good stuff!!! and reasonably priced at $18/tub or you can get just the Puck for $12 :) Purely Skinful Handmade Essentials
I browsed around but am still wondering - is shipping included or how much is it? Or pickup from where?
Newbie
Feb 12, 2017
67 posts
41 upvotes
Hello All,
I have heard of a Canadian-made shaving cream called 'J.M. FRASER'S SHAVING CREAM', but I can't find it in store. There are a few online retailers with it in stock, but it seems as if the prices are inflated because they're importing from Canada to the US.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Member
Feb 13, 2009
449 posts
75 upvotes
Dum258 wrote: Hello All,
I have heard of a Canadian-made shaving cream called 'J.M. FRASER'S SHAVING CREAM', but I can't find it in store. There are a few online retailers with it in stock, but it seems as if the prices are inflated because they're importing from Canada to the US.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Probably old news to you now but.....
$27 + shipping, which would probably be around the $10 mark. Give or take. J.M. Fraser's "Original" Shave Cream
I've never heard of it befor to be honest.
One cream (if you prefer those to soaps) that I feel performs well is St. James of London
You can find their collection on Amazon.ca or Fendrihan.ca
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8101 posts
1834 upvotes
Toronto
Pottertons wrote: Probably old news to you now but.....
$27 + shipping, which would probably be around the $10 mark. Give or take. J.M. Fraser's "Original" Shave Cream
I've never heard of it befor to be honest.
One cream (if you prefer those to soaps) that I feel performs well is St. James of London
You can find their collection on Amazon.ca or Fendrihan.ca
I'm a Philistine when it comes to shaving cream and will use whatever soap is available. In my experience, the most important single thing is to wet your/face beard with hottish water beforehand. I've tried different blades, razors, creams, soaps over the years but while some are a bit better/worse, the beard wetting makes the biggest difference.

Maybe it's just me .....
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 10, 2005
9201 posts
2989 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote: I'm a Philistine when it comes to shaving cream and will use whatever soap is available. In my experience, the most important single thing is to wet your/face beard with hottish water beforehand. I've tried different blades, razors, creams, soaps over the years but while some are a bit better/worse, the beard wetting makes the biggest difference.

Maybe it's just me .....
Agree with this.

I try not to spend too much on shaving cream, prep is the key regardless of which cream you use. Taylor of old Bond Street is my go to but I can make do with just about any shave cream or soap. I also apply a dab of Rock Mountain pre shave oil to soften my skin.
Discomfort is your friend
Sr. Member
Apr 5, 2003
854 posts
205 upvotes
White Rock, BC
I'm new to this. I've used Mach 3 and then Dorco cartridges for years. I'm on my last set of four cartridges, went to reorder and found out Dorco is no longer around or are sort of selling through Amazon. I don't know but it just doesn't seem like a viable option anymore. So here we are. I have a few questions about this safety razor shaving thing.

I usually shave every 4-5 days. Monday, Friday, Wednesday, repeat.

Do I really need to do three passes? I am a morning shaver but don't have a lot of time. I am busy getting three kids ready for school before I go to work.

What are some good Canadian sites for everything I need? Can I survive on Amazon?

How many shaves do you get out of a razor?
Jr. Member
Dec 11, 2017
164 posts
101 upvotes
Ottawa
noodles wrote: I'm new to this. I've used Mach 3 and then Dorco cartridges for years. I'm on my last set of four cartridges, went to reorder and found out Dorco is no longer around or are sort of selling through Amazon. I don't know but it just doesn't seem like a viable option anymore. So here we are.
Ditto. I have used Dorco for years until a couple of months ago. I eventually decided to join Dollar Shave Club. It's the same razor system except the Dorco branding is removed. It costs a bit more than previously when buying directly from Dorco.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 10, 2005
9201 posts
2989 upvotes
noodles wrote: I'm new to this. I've used Mach 3 and then Dorco cartridges for years. I'm on my last set of four cartridges, went to reorder and found out Dorco is no longer around or are sort of selling through Amazon. I don't know but it just doesn't seem like a viable option anymore. So here we are. I have a few questions about this safety razor shaving thing.

I usually shave every 4-5 days. Monday, Friday, Wednesday, repeat.

Do I really need to do three passes? I am a morning shaver but don't have a lot of time. I am busy getting three kids ready for school before I go to work.

What are some good Canadian sites for everything I need? Can I survive on Amazon?

How many shaves do you get out of a razor?
Start out with the 3 pass routine and adjust from there. I'm 5 years or so into DE shaving and still use the 3 pass method. DE is dirt cheap so you should not worry about how many shaves per blade - it works out to pennies. I get 3 to 5 I think,,,,I don't really keep count.

You can survive on Amazon. Look back in this thread the Canadian sites are listed. see post# 435
Discomfort is your friend
Sr. Member
Apr 5, 2003
854 posts
205 upvotes
White Rock, BC
blexann wrote: Start out with the 3 pass routine and adjust from there. I'm 5 years or so into DE shaving and still use the 3 pass method. DE is dirt cheap so you should not worry about how many shaves per blade - it works out to pennies. I get 3 to 5 I think,,,,I don't really keep count.

You can survive on Amazon. Look back in this thread the Canadian sites are listed. see post# 435
Thanks. I took the plunge and bought some DE stuff on Fendrihan (Razor, brush, bowl) and the rest on Amazon (blade sampler, cream). Should be good to go once it arrives.
Member
Feb 13, 2009
449 posts
75 upvotes
noodles wrote: I'm new to this. I've used Mach 3 and then Dorco cartridges for years. I'm on my last set of four cartridges, went to reorder and found out Dorco is no longer around or are sort of selling through Amazon. I don't know but it just doesn't seem like a viable option anymore. So here we are. I have a few questions about this safety razor shaving thing.

I usually shave every 4-5 days. Monday, Friday, Wednesday, repeat.

Do I really need to do three passes? I am a morning shaver but don't have a lot of time. I am busy getting three kids ready for school before I go to work.

What are some good Canadian sites for everything I need? Can I survive on Amazon?

How many shaves do you get out of a razor?
If you're just starting out (probably too late for this info :) ) It might be safer to do just one pass per shave for the first few. More, so you can get an idea of the different type of technique involved, compared to a cartridge razor.
During that time, your method will become more familiar and your results will help to determine if you need to include any additional passes in your routine.
Going all out 3 passes right from the get-go, may lead to a rough outcome.
Member
Mar 5, 2008
415 posts
90 upvotes
noodles wrote: I'm new to this. I've used Mach 3 and then Dorco cartridges for years. I'm on my last set of four cartridges, went to reorder and found out Dorco is no longer around or are sort of selling through Amazon. I don't know but it just doesn't seem like a viable option anymore. So here we are. I have a few questions about this safety razor shaving thing.

I usually shave every 4-5 days. Monday, Friday, Wednesday, repeat.

Do I really need to do three passes? I am a morning shaver but don't have a lot of time. I am busy getting three kids ready for school before I go to work.

What are some good Canadian sites for everything I need? Can I survive on Amazon?

How many shaves do you get out of a razor?
you don't need three full passes
i do a quick 1 pass over light areas and touch up my neck and chin (which grows thicker) and i shave about the same frequency as you.
i'll usually change the blade after about 20 shaves (Feather Stainless) on a Feather ASD2.

im lazy
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 20, 2010
3543 posts
1516 upvotes
I thought all Noxzema products were discontinued in Canada until I recently found the old skin cream at Walmart again. I used to shave with this stuff when I ran out of the Noxzema lather shaving cream in a tube which I'm pretty sure has been extinct for good. My question now is, what is the closest substitute for this old favorite shaving cream of mine? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 10, 2005
9201 posts
2989 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote: I thought all Noxzema products were discontinued in Canada until I recently found the old skin cream at Walmart again. I used to shave with this stuff when I ran out of the Noxzema lather shaving cream in a tube which I'm pretty sure has been extinct for good. My question now is, what is the closest substitute for this old favorite shaving cream of mine? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
I'm not familiar with that brand but if you want something good and readily available you can try Barrasso from Shoppers Drug Mart.
Discomfort is your friend
Member
Feb 13, 2009
449 posts
75 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote: I thought all Noxzema products were discontinued in Canada until I recently found the old skin cream at Walmart again. I used to shave with this stuff when I ran out of the Noxzema lather shaving cream in a tube which I'm pretty sure has been extinct for good. My question now is, what is the closest substitute for this old favorite shaving cream of mine? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
I've never tried it myself, but there are many glowing reviews for Gillette Pure, which can be found at Walmart.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/gillette-p ... 0199229340

Another really good option, that I 'am' familiar with, is 'The Body Shop: Macca root shaving cream'.
https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-ca/men/s ... /p/p002836

Top