Fashion & Beauty

The RFD traditional wet shaving thread (Double edge and straight razor talk)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2020 10:35 pm
Mar 5, 2008
399 posts
83 upvotes
noodles wrote: I'm new to this. I've used Mach 3 and then Dorco cartridges for years. I'm on my last set of four cartridges, went to reorder and found out Dorco is no longer around or are sort of selling through Amazon. I don't know but it just doesn't seem like a viable option anymore. So here we are. I have a few questions about this safety razor shaving thing.

I usually shave every 4-5 days. Monday, Friday, Wednesday, repeat.

Do I really need to do three passes? I am a morning shaver but don't have a lot of time. I am busy getting three kids ready for school before I go to work.

What are some good Canadian sites for everything I need? Can I survive on Amazon?

How many shaves do you get out of a razor?
you don't need three full passes
i do a quick 1 pass over light areas and touch up my neck and chin (which grows thicker) and i shave about the same frequency as you.
i'll usually change the blade after about 20 shaves (Feather Stainless) on a Feather ASD2.

im lazy
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3343 posts
1353 upvotes
I thought all Noxzema products were discontinued in Canada until I recently found the old skin cream at Walmart again. I used to shave with this stuff when I ran out of the Noxzema lather shaving cream in a tube which I'm pretty sure has been extinct for good. My question now is, what is the closest substitute for this old favorite shaving cream of mine? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8922 posts
2835 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote: I thought all Noxzema products were discontinued in Canada until I recently found the old skin cream at Walmart again. I used to shave with this stuff when I ran out of the Noxzema lather shaving cream in a tube which I'm pretty sure has been extinct for good. My question now is, what is the closest substitute for this old favorite shaving cream of mine? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
I'm not familiar with that brand but if you want something good and readily available you can try Barrasso from Shoppers Drug Mart.
Discomfort is your friend
Feb 13, 2009
442 posts
71 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote: I thought all Noxzema products were discontinued in Canada until I recently found the old skin cream at Walmart again. I used to shave with this stuff when I ran out of the Noxzema lather shaving cream in a tube which I'm pretty sure has been extinct for good. My question now is, what is the closest substitute for this old favorite shaving cream of mine? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
I've never tried it myself, but there are many glowing reviews for Gillette Pure, which can be found at Walmart.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/gillette-p ... 0199229340

Another really good option, that I 'am' familiar with, is 'The Body Shop: Macca root shaving cream'.
https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-ca/men/s ... /p/p002836