Site Comments & Suggestions

RFD's New Homepage and Nav Bar is Coming Soon!

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2023 10:18 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
Better design than the previous one.
Still can't get the site to jump to where I got an upvote from the notifications link.
In other words, when I check my notifications and I see an upvote, when I click on that link, it takes me to the very first post of that thread.
- Firefox on Win10.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2001
4233 posts
248 upvotes
Calgary
Another vote to re-add Freebies to the Forums section please.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18224 posts
36610 upvotes
Scarborough
Gee wrote: My scroll wheel on my mouse just moves the navigation bar up and down. Is there a way to lock the navigation bar so I can use the scroll wheel in the main frame of the forum?
The navigation bar moves up and down on the page when you use your mouse wheel?
zentro wrote: Top menu bar doesn't function properly across multiple browsers (firefox/chrome), scrolling causes it to disappear and reappear at different times, very inconsistent.

I think you should keep it static, it blocks content instead of being useful anyways and the same functionality doesn't even appear for resized view for phones, where that might be more useful but at the cost of screen real estate.
It should only reappear as you start to scroll back up. If you're experiencing different behaviour please report it to us and include device/browser details.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
ace604 wrote: Who sorts columns alphabetically going across the rows instead of top to bottom? Seriously?

Is there a UX person at RFD??

Hover over discussion and copy/paste it's in alpha ... but it's flowed to not actually use columns but go in rows so it's horrible to 'navigate' with your eye/brain and find what you are looking for:

Copy/paste order:
DISCUSSION
Art & Photography
Automotive
Careers
Computers & Electronics
Cell Phones
Entertainment
PC & Video Games
Entrepreneurship & Small Business
Fashion & Apparel
Beauty & Wellness
Food & Drink
Green / Eco-Friendly
Home & Garden
Parenting
Personal Finance
Investing
Pets
Sports & Fitness
Students
Travel
Off Topic

How it looks like:

Code: Select all

DISCUSSION
Art & Photography        Automotive                         Careers
Computers & Electronics  Cell Phones                        Entertainment
PC & Video Games         Entrepreneurship & Small Business  Fashion & Apparel
Beauty & Wellness        Food & Drink                       Green / Eco-Friendly
Home & Garden            Parenting                          Personal Finance
Investing                Pets                               Sports & Fitness
Students                 Travel                             Off Topic
... further adding to the confusion, there are non-alpha sorted insertions (based on subforums??) ... horrible. sorry. it's bad.
Shopping Discussion forum is missing and cumbersome to find.
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: ...
It should only reappear as you start to scroll back up. If you're experiencing different behaviour please report it to us and include device/browser details.
yep ... it is working that way ...
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
gontori wrote: Better design than the previous one.
Still can't get the site to jump to where I got an upvote from the notifications link.
In other words, when I check my notifications and I see an upvote, when I click on that link, it takes me to the very first post of that thread.
- Firefox on Win10.
I've been complaining about this for months and months and months and suggested a fix that should take 30s to do.

Change the url from:
/thread-name/page/#pPostnumber

To:
/viewtopic.php?p=Postnumber
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18224 posts
36610 upvotes
Scarborough
Becks wrote: Shopping Discussion forum is missing and cumbersome to find.
It's being added back in along with Freebies.
lubmar wrote: yep ... it is working that way ...
You can also set it to unstick and it'll only appear at the top of the page. how-unstick-stick-navigation-bar-1948715/
ace604 wrote: I've been complaining about this for months and months and months and suggested a fix that should take 30s to do.

Change the url from:
/thread-name/page/#pPostnumber

To:
/viewtopic.php?p=Postnumber
The thread name is included for SEO purposes. We are aware of the problem and can hopefully get it fixed soon.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
TomRFD wrote: It's being added back in along with Freebies.

You can also set it to unstick and it'll only appear at the top of the page. how-unstick-stick-navigation-bar-1948715/

The thread name is included for SEO purposes. We are aware of the problem and can hopefully get it fixed soon.
You don't need the thread name in the notification tab view that is per login and impossible for Google to scrape and affect SEO.

When I click a /viewtopic.php?p=xxxx link it expands out to the full URL afterwards.
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
ace604 wrote: You don't need the thread name in the notification tab view that is per login and impossible for Google to scrape and affect SEO.

When I click a /viewtopic.php?p=xxxx link it expands out to the full URL afterwards.
e.g. Compare these links and where they take you:

1) "/rfds-new-homepage-nav-bar-coming-soon-2096157/2/#p27748971"
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/rfds-ne ... #p27748971

2) "/rfds-new-homepage-nav-bar-coming-soon-2096157/#p27748971"
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/rfds-ne ... #p27748971

3) "/viewtopic.php?p=2774897"
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/viewtop ... p=27748971

both (1) and (3) take me to the URL in (1). But for people with different posts per page settings, the URL in (1) may be broken. For people with default posts per page setting the URL in (2) is broken.

Just use (3) in the notifications tab. It should work for everyone.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5437 posts
4855 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote: You can also set it to unstick and it'll only appear at the top of the page. how-unstick-stick-navigation-bar-1948715/
Excellent that solves all my complaints.

The issue for me is happening on both firefox 53.0 (32-bit)/chrome 58.0.3029.96 (64-bit)/chrome canary 60.0.3088.0 (64-bit) tested without any extensions on debian 8 (not logged in) and windows 7 (logged in).

The problem appears when you first load the page, the javascript doesn't seem to load consistently, if you stay on the same page for a bit and scroll around the behavior seems to default to showing up when scrolling up and disappearing when scrolling down, however when you refresh or load another part of the site the menu doesn't work properly. There is also some weird behavior when switching between mouse wheel and scroll bar, but it's harder to replicate, it seems to pop into view and disappear.

However with stick navigation preference, everything works perfect. Thanks.
Aug 1, 2008
4 posts
Mississauga
I would also really love the option to switch to the old UI for PCs. It seems as though most people are browsing the site on mobile devices, but the new layout makes it so the site is not worth accessing using a PC browser. Just my two cents.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38384 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
TomRFD wrote: The navigation bar moves up and down on the page when you use your mouse wheel?
Yes, that's all that moves. It's as if there are two frames and the focus is on the top frame. If I use my scroll wheel, it moves the navigation bar up and down.

I tried clicking on the forum post area and it will not focus on it. The scroll wheel only locks onto the navigation bar
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18224 posts
36610 upvotes
Scarborough
ace604 wrote: You don't need the thread name in the notification tab view that is per login and impossible for Google to scrape and affect SEO.

Ah I see what you mean. I was thinking of something else when I replied earlier. There is a ticket in to fix that. I too would like to be taken to the correct posts so I'll try to get an update on when that might be fixed.
zentro wrote: Excellent that solves all my complaints.

However with stick navigation preference, everything works perfect. Thanks.
Glad to hear that helped. We haven't seen the behaviour of the menu bar that you described so we'll wait to see if more reports come in and then look into it.
nermy wrote: I would also really love the option to switch to the old UI for PCs. It seems as though most people are browsing the site on mobile devices, but the new layout makes it so the site is not worth accessing using a PC browser. Just my two cents.
Yes there is a huge shift towards mobile browsing and that did influence our design decisions but we feel the desktop version of the site has improved over the previous design. With the customizable layout and increased exposure of forum threads, we feel it gives people more of what they want to see.
Gee wrote: Yes, that's all that moves. It's as if there are two frames and the focus is on the top frame. If I use my scroll wheel, it moves the navigation bar up and down.

I tried clicking on the forum post area and it will not focus on it. The scroll wheel only locks onto the navigation bar
Is it possible for you to record a short clip of it exhibiting this behaviour?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18224 posts
36610 upvotes
Scarborough
We released a small update late this afternoon which addressed the following:

The forums menu in the navigation bar now includes the missing Shopping Discussion and Freebies forums. The discussion forums are also now sorted vertically instead of from left to right (excluding Off Topic which remains at the end).

You'll see more than 3 flyers on our homepage under the Top Flyers section.

Updates to the customized Category widgets (showing up empty, showing old content, etc.).
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38384 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
TomRFD wrote: Is it possible for you to record a short clip of it exhibiting this behaviour?
I'll try to do that as soon as I find some software. It appears to only happen when using Opera. I just switched to Internet Explorer and it works fine in Explorer
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18224 posts
36610 upvotes
Scarborough
Gee wrote: I'll try to do that as soon as I find some software. It appears to only happen when using Opera. I just switched to Internet Explorer and it works fine in Explorer
If you can that might help. I'll try to download Opera and see if I can replicate it too.
Oct 22, 2006
749 posts
599 upvotes
Ontario
I've got 2 scroll bars on every thread in Firefox now. Disabling Adblock didn't solve the problem either.

I'll have to poke around on the weekend to see what's causing it. It's also really unresponsive to the scroll wheel. I have to scroll 3 times to get the page to move.
Images
  • nav bars.jpg
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3538 upvotes
Burnaby
The contents of the pull down menu list for "Forums" is not consistent in the new navigation menu bar. In some forums, it only lists some of the Hot Deals categories, in other forums it lists most of the main forums alphanumerically with almost their entire name (correctly, given the width of the browser window), and in other forums (most particularly when browsing a thread) it lists only some of the forums, all with their names truncated "Nam..." (even if the width of the browser window would allow displaying their full names) and with uneven line spacing (some are bunched together without a blank line in between their shortened names). Happening in Chrome. Bizarre.

Incompetent workers (and criminals) cover each other's "lower back"
Keywords: doxxers, moles, security breaches, cs*s,
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4511 posts
2168 upvotes
Calgary
I have never frequented the actual homepage for the most part, but it does feel clean and intuitive, it was a mess in the past and never even touched it. Same for the dropdown, feels more responsive and makes sense now that it's alphabetical.

Usually most updates done by RFD are significantly worse than past versions, and there are multiple issues with many complaints where it feels like an non-wanted update is pushed against people's wishes. This is one of those times where it actually is better.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)