• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2022 9:54 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48659 posts
12076 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
lecale wrote: Hopefully summer brings stock?
They stock some of the same brands that Bass Pro used to sell. The “bbq spot” brand. I noticed Bass Pro stopped stocking long ago. And they never came back.

Not sure if its a supply issue it what. But still available in usa.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1239 posts
534 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
KravenHead wrote: Life happened to the cook is this weekend.
Going to try the sous vide method for the 1st time (24hrs at 155f).

Has anyone tried this method before? Wondering if I lay the sealed bags at the bottom of the container or if its preferable to either clip the bags to the side or use a rack.
Yes but I do 18hrs, same temp. I lay the bags side by side, clipped to the edge, bags not touching the machine, cover with cling film to prevent heat loss.

Did you buy the ribs that were $10 off, I got some and cooked them last week. Popped them in the sous vide on Friday night and they were ready for dinner on Saturday (I did put them in the oven for about 20mins with some bbq sauce).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4032 posts
4916 upvotes
ckay1980 wrote: Yes but I do 18hrs, same temp. I lay the bags side by side, clipped to the edge, bags not touching the machine, cover with cling film to prevent heat loss.
What type of container do you use? Am hesitant using a large pot as the rips would be wrapped around it.
Amazon has a lot of 'sous vide containers' but a lot of these look like standard rubbermaid/T-Fall containers which lids.

Do you 'sous vide' in the kitchen or somewhere else? ie- garage.

What kind of BBQ/rub did you use
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28642 posts
14186 upvotes
KravenHead wrote: What type of container do you use?
Not OP, but my standard container was a 1/2 or a full size deep steam table pan because it was cheap.
I got me polycarb instead of metal but that's a preference.

Specialty containers have a custom cut lid. I'm not that fancy.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1239 posts
534 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
KravenHead wrote: What type of container do you use? Am hesitant using a large pot as the rips would be wrapped around it.
Amazon has a lot of 'sous vide containers' but a lot of these look like standard rubbermaid/T-Fall containers which lids.

Do you 'sous vide' in the kitchen or somewhere else? ie- garage.

What kind of BBQ/rub did you use
I use something like this
I use it to brine or marinate stuff in it as well, not just for sous vide.

I just sous-vide in the kitchen on the countertop close to the sink. That way I can easily transfer to the sink when it's done. Sometimes I run the bags under the cold water to cool it down if putting in the fridge.

I just make my own rub. Usual paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, salt, pepper. I wish I could add chilli flakes but my kids don't like it. I use sweet baby ray bbq sauce to finish off in the oven.
This is a website I used a lot when I started
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
48659 posts
12076 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
ckay1980 wrote: I use something like this
I use it to brine or marinate stuff in it as well, not just for sous vide.

I just sous-vide in the kitchen on the countertop close to the sink. That way I can easily transfer to the sink when it's done. Sometimes I run the bags under the cold water to cool it down if putting in the fridge.

I just make my own rub. Usual paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, salt, pepper. I wish I could add chilli flakes but my kids don't like it. I use sweet baby ray bbq sauce to finish off in the oven.
This is a website I used a lot when I started
Always a good combo.
Everyone should experiment with a bit of celery salt. It adds a savoury tang.
May 26, 2022
25 posts
10 upvotes
When we make ribs I do use mustard and find it gives a slight tangy taste with whatever other spices I put on it I recommend it and if you are not sure just do half a rack to try first
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4032 posts
4916 upvotes
Started to SV ribs in a cooler in the garage at 5pm. Wife went into the garage at 9pm and had a s*** over the humidity and pulled the plug.,,literally.
RIP Ribs 2022.05.27
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4032 posts
4916 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: But those were good ribs!
This morning the water was around 50c (cooler was closed overnight) so I moved it to the deck and resumed.
I shall not be denied! Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28642 posts
14186 upvotes
KravenHead wrote: This morning the water was around 50c (cooler was closed overnight) so I moved it to the deck and resumed.
I shall not be denied! Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Yeah... that's probably a bad idea.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4032 posts
4916 upvotes
After 48hours. Results are mixed.

1- I could have used better BBQ sauce. Used Country Creek from Costco as it was the only one i had.
2- 48hrs is too much. As a previous posted mentioned, 18hrs might have been better. Meat literally melted. No bite/resistance to it. Essentially we had Pull Pork sandwiches.

Was the sous-vide method worth the time/effort. No denying sous/vide done right will make fabulous rubs but IMO, the oven "slow and low" followed by a quick broil would suffice.

This method is best used to impress family/friends and guests.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)