Art and Photography

Richard Prince Selling Other People’s Instagram Shots Without Permission for $100K

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2015 11:56 am
Tags:
None
4 replies
Nov 12, 2012
779 posts
512 upvotes
Calgary
Why anybody would pay money for an Instagram photo is beyond me.
Aug 12, 2012
876 posts
431 upvotes
Richmond Hill
"Artist Richard Prince is notorious in the art world for taking other people’s work, “appropriating” them as his own with various changes, and then selling them for large amounts of dough."

I've never heard of this guy before, but if that's all it takes to be considered an artists, wow.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
428 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Wow, what the actual f*ck?? Someone would pay $90k to $100k in NYC of a super large print of an instagram photo?

Not to mention, this Richard Prince guy is a huge... well, fill in your own negative adjective.

Since when is appropriating someone else's work worth so much money? There's just too many people with too much money in NYC. It's people like him why I don't keep a public website anymore, personally.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9193 posts
3242 upvotes
Toronto
Did Andy Warhol appropriate other peoples work when he did his Campbells Soup, or, Elvis, or Marilyn Monroe pieces?

Richard Prince may have taken the Instagram image but then he altered it by making a large print of it and added comments. Good for him if he can find enough suckers willing to pay! He has always claimed that copyright is not an issue that bothers him. IIRC, he has never lost a court battle on the issue.