None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1089 posts
363 upvotes

Richmond Hill neighbourhoods to bring up family

Hello,

I recently switched jobs and now work in Brampton. My wife works in the east end so we want to move to some place in the middle. Richmond Hill would be an ideal location but I am not knowledgeable of the different neighbourhoods. We have 2 small kids who will be starting school in the next couple years so we want to take into account schools as well.

Does anyone live (or recently lived) in the following areas:

1. The area bounded by Bayview to the West. 407 to the North, 404 to the East and Steeles to the South. I believe it is called "Green Lane"?

2. The area bounded by Bayview to the West. Elgin Mills to the North, 404 to the East and Major Mackenzie to the South. I don't know is this area has a specific name.

What areas in Richmond Hill would you recommend outside the ones I mentioned above - especially to bring up young kids?

Thanks
Henry

PS I'd only be comfortable with homes priced at <= 1.1M and I prefer 4 Bedroom, double garage, detached.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
area #2 is good, I lived there, but a warning, its all older people and as per the name, you might have to be rich to live there, a house just sold for $900,000. how in the heck can someone come up with a million bux to buy a house
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4396 posts
743 upvotes
Stronzo1 wrote: area #2 is good, I lived there, but a warning, its all older people and as per the name, you might have to be rich to live there, a house just sold for $900,000. how in the heck can someone come up with a million bux to buy a house
Sorry to burst your bubble, but north of Steeles, east of 400 and west of 404 is very expensive. In fact, 900k is probably cheap.
A 2,400 sqf CONDO TOWNHOUSE just sold for 960k in Thornhill, just north of Bathurst and Steeles. The place doesn't even have a back yard nor a front yard. And since it's condo, it has condo fees of around $400 per month (the place is about 6 years old, will probably go up soon)
Sep 14, 2012
465 posts
191 upvotes
Area 1 is probably more expensive than area 2 due to its location (more south) and the homes are older, but larger. There may be some detached homes that are sold for less than 1.1m in area 1, but not many.

In terms of schools, you really can't go wrong with either of them, although I'd give area 2 a slight edge because of Bayview Secondary, which is higher in ranking than Thornhill Secondary (area 1).

I'd personally pick area 1 (if I had the money of course), because the homes and lots are larger, and it's more convenient.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1089 posts
363 upvotes
Thanks for the info. Are there many green spaces and/or parks?

Sneakymist wrote: Area 1 is probably more expensive than area 2 due to its location (more south) and the homes are older, but larger. There may be some detached homes that are sold for less than 1.1m in area 1, but not many.

In terms of schools, you really can't go wrong with either of them, although I'd give area 2 a slight edge because of Bayview Secondary, which is higher in ranking than Thornhill Secondary (area 1).

I'd personally pick area 1 (if I had the money of course), because the homes and lots are larger, and it's more convenient.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1749 posts
1058 upvotes
GTA
Try Oak Ridges. You will find what you are looking for within your price range.
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
Jan 8, 2009
886 posts
580 upvotes
Simcoe County
The second area is known as Rouge Woods.

We live in Richmond Hill, near Yonge and Major Mack.

Most areas of Richmond Hill have pretty good green space and parks. There are a number of rec centres, libraries, good schools, etc. Our taxes are very reasonable compared to a lot of nearby towns/cities.

Use your google maps to do a street view of various areas.

If you have any specific questions about Richmond Hill, ask away. We've been living here for 8 years and we moved here when our daughter was 7.
Feb 20, 2015
64 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I have lots of family who are in the area. Major Mac, Elgin, Bloomington, Wellington......all top flight areas. Safe, growing, pretty, good government.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
1275 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto
Area 1 is Thornhill and is part of Markham. This area was undervalued, but now the prices risen and most sales have had multiple offers. Depending on how soon you want to buy, you could probably get a four bedroom for about a million.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1749 posts
1058 upvotes
GTA
I'll be listing a 4 bedroom 3000sf in the Leslie/Steeles area of Toronto soon for about $1M... needs work but that is an area that is incredibly hot!! If you want Thornhill/Markham, then the Green Lane area is close-by. They will also be tearing down Shops on Steeles shortly to make way for condos.
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
10417 posts
3047 upvotes
Toronto
Just as heads-up, you're looking at Markham too (not just Richmond Hill). Many people aren't aware that there is a pocket west of the 404, east of Yonge and north of Steeles that is still Markham. You can find a house below $1.1M here.

Richmond Hill is pricey and $1.1M won't be enough.
hank755 wrote: Hello,

I recently switched jobs and now work in Brampton. My wife works in the east end so we want to move to some place in the middle. Richmond Hill would be an ideal location but I am not knowledgeable of the different neighbourhoods. We have 2 small kids who will be starting school in the next couple years so we want to take into account schools as well.

Does anyone live (or recently lived) in the following areas:

1. The area bounded by Bayview to the West. 407 to the North, 404 to the East and Steeles to the South. I believe it is called "Green Lane"?

2. The area bounded by Bayview to the West. Elgin Mills to the North, 404 to the East and Major Mackenzie to the South. I don't know is this area has a specific name.

What areas in Richmond Hill would you recommend outside the ones I mentioned above - especially to bring up young kids?

Thanks
Henry

PS I'd only be comfortable with homes priced at <= 1.1M and I prefer 4 Bedroom, double garage, detached.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker/Owner - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1749 posts
1058 upvotes
GTA
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote: Just as heads-up, you're looking at Markham too (not just Richmond Hill). Many people aren't aware that there is a pocket west of the 404, east of Yonge and north of Steeles that is still Markham. You can find a house below $1.1M here.

Richmond Hill is pricey and $1.1M won't be enough.
Are you talking about Henderson and Doncaster area? If so, I don't think those houses under the $1M mark will suit the OP's needs as anything in that are are older and/or bungalows with a lot of work needed. I do quite a bit of business there and it's an awesome area for flippers and new builds, though! I do love the size of land available, as well. But a 4 bed would be pretty difficult (though definitely not impossible).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5755 posts
3589 upvotes
Looking for a nice area in RH to raise a family with good parks, schools and Rec facilities near by? Get out a map and throw a dart. That easy. You will be hard pressed to find an area that doesn't meet that criteria.

But Budget is another story because prices are insane right now. This will be your bigger challenge.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10426 posts
11103 upvotes
Toronto
fdl wrote: Looking for a nice area in RH to raise a family with good parks, schools and Rec facilities near by? Get out a map and throw a dart. That easy. You will be hard pressed to find an area that doesn't meet that criteria.

But Budget is another story because prices are insane right now. This will be your bigger challenge.
This man speaks the truth. RH is expensive for a reason. I really cannot think of a place in RH that isn't basically the best sub-urban neighbourhood money can buy. RH would have been my first choice, if it weren't expensive.
Oct 20, 2011
89 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
You should checkout neighborhood Victoria Square. It's just on the north side of Elgin Mills and between the 404 and Woodbine. You can find the occasional house for under 1.1. It's near the 2nd area you mentioned...it's actually closer to the 404...if near the highway is where you want to be
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1089 posts
363 upvotes
Thanks for all the responses so far. I even appreciate the MLS listings!

What are people's thoughts on the condos going up on Don Mills/Steeles? Will it have a negative effect on the German Mills area in terms of traffic congestion?
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4396 posts
743 upvotes
hank755 wrote: Thanks for all the responses so far. I even appreciate the MLS listings!

What are people's thoughts on the condos going up on Don Mills/Steeles? Will it have a negative effect on the German Mills area in terms of traffic congestion?
All the roads north of Steeles between 400 and 404 are congested big time, it will probably get worse, you really can't do much about it.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1749 posts
1058 upvotes
GTA
Agreed about congestion being inevitable and only increasing HOWEVER, it will be many MANY years before construction even begins on the condos. The alternate routs is always Leslie Street for those wanting a 404/DVP alternate.

Where do you work? If you are working downtown, consider the GO.

R Hill to Toronto commute IS a very very congested one.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9566 posts
2185 upvotes
Somewhere
I lived and am currently living in Aileen (#1 above) on Green Lane for about 20 years now. It's fantastic. Schools-wise, St Robert's is consistently rated in top 10/20 in Ontario.

It's extremely convenient. 10 minute drive to Highways: 7, 400, 404, 401, 407. Langstaff GO - 5 minutes away. Finch TTC station - 15 minutes away. VIVA Blue station - 10 minutes away. A huge number of supermarkets and Walmart, etc etc.

With great parks and services around. Fire station nearby and low crime rate.

And yes, the area has been increasing in prices recently. There are currently a few listings under $1 million in the area for 4 bedroom, detached, 50x110 sized lots, but I expect them to sell for just over $1 million, thus in your price range. It's an affordable version of Richmond Hill.

Feel free to ask me specific questions.
:confused:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)